Not all servers show on PXO - lil' help?

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Not all servers show on PXO - lil' help?

Post by Mobius »

Got my router configured as firewall. Many ports are open for D3. Speciifically:

TCP 2080-2099
UDP 7170-7170
UDP 2080-2100
ICMP N/A-N/A

As far as am aware, these are the ports which correspond to game servers, ping and PXO. However, if I disable the firewall the server list in GLMax triples in size.

What ports are preventing the full list from showing when the firewall is active?
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

Most likely the servers not showing are running on non-standard ports.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Funny -- got a Linksys FW in gate mode w/o any port open and can see all games..
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by [Grendel]:
Funny -- got a Linksys FW in gate mode w/o any port open and can see all games..</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same here. It must be the special Kiwi settings on his router then.

Delkian
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Delkian »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="3">Originally posted by Mobius:
<b> Got my router configured as firewall. Many ports are open for D3. Speciifically:

TCP 2080-2099
UDP 7170-7170
UDP 2080-2100
ICMP N/A-N/A

As far as am aware, these are the ports which correspond to game servers, ping and PXO. However, if I disable the firewall the server list in GLMax triples in size.
</b></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

First off, for what do you need UDP port 7170 open?

As far as I know (which may not be very much in this case), at least some firewalls work so that they let in UDP packets coming from the outside if it considers them to be 'related' to some UDP packets you've just sent through that port - kind of like TCP connections initiated by you (replies to your packets get in), except that UDP doesn't have connections so it uses other means to track the datagrams. Does your firewall have options for this? That way you shouldn't need to open any port for just playing the game, only for running a server, because your computer is always the first one to send stuff if it's the client in D3.

This is certainly simplified and I don't know this stuff very well myself, I'm just throwing in some thoughts.

Edit:

Oh, and if the firewall doesn't do it that way, just having those ports open may not help much because when your computer sends the query for game information to the game server (the existence of which it knows about from the game list it received from the PXO game tracker server), it probably chooses a (random) dynamically allocated local port and the response from the game server comes to that same local port.

Or something like that, I can't explain it very well.