Freeway Blogger

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Pebkac
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Pebkac »

Well then they should sue the state, because the gov't is supposedly required to pay fair market value. They should have been allowed to have their own appraisal done as well as the state's.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Too late, the parkways were built in the '30s and the LIE was finished in the 60's.
Pebkac
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Pebkac »

Ahh. I only asked cuz the city of Dallas wanted to build a downtown park where a friend of my father has a building. They wanted to pay him about $500k, so he had a bunch of his friends sign leases on the property and did a bunch a clean-up work. Then the appraisal went up to about $3million and the city decided to build around him. It seemed the gov't didn't have a leg to stand on regarding the value of the property. Wasn't up to them.

Good news is that the nice parkland around his building is going to increase its value even more.
Zuruck
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Zuruck »

Fair market value baby. And who decides what fair market value is? What don't I know Pebkac? I know that bash and Lothar are the same type that would drill up in Alaska because 1. the oil is there and 2. nobody goes up there right? What if they wanted to put a highway right where you lived? Told you to pack up and move? You HAVE to!! Bash, aren't guitarists supposed to be tree huggers?
Pebkac
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Pebkac »

What you don't know is that if oil is found on your property, it won't be the gov't that found it. Living where I live, I don't know one property-owning person who hasn't commissioned a study to look for petroleum on their land, including my father, grandfathers, and numerous uncles/aunts and cousins.

Those that were lucky enough to have deposits in great enough quantity to actually drill never mentioned anything about gov't types citing imminent domain. The folks who were called in for drilling/pumping usually helped the landowner negotiate with petroleum buyers.

Fair market value is the price that an interested but not desperate buyer would be willing to pay and an interested but not desperate seller would be willing to accept on the open market assuming a reasonable period of time for an agreement to arise.

Your belief that government thugs show up and drag you kicking and screaming off of your own property indicates that you don't know what you're talking about.
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

Pebkac wrote:What you don't know is that if oil is found on your property, it won't be the gov't that found it. Living where I live, I don't know one property-owning person who hasn't commissioned a study to look for petroleum on their land, including my father, grandfathers, and numerous uncles/aunts and cousins.
Here in East Texas oil companies owned alot of the land, at one point. What they have done is sell the surface at a lower cost to individuals, while retaining mineral rights. So, if they come in and start drilling on "your" property, they have every right to- the provisions under which they sold it to you allows them to do whatever they want to get the minerals they still own. The only way around it: buy land somewhere else.
Pebkac
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Pebkac »

Interesting. I've heard of such situations, but have no first-hand experience with such scenarios (North Texas). Regardless, Zuruck's belief seems to be that the gov't will come looking for oil on your land and, if it is found, will kick you off your property and give you a couple of dollars to ease their conscience. That just isn't true.
Zuruck
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Zuruck »

It's not? My neighbor bought the lot nex to his house so that he could build a garage. Well, my wonderful city decided that it wanted to use the land as a overflow pond from a couple of parking lots from car dealerships about ten blocks away. The Army Corps of Engineers came out, looked at it, told him what they wanted to do. He said no, they said "We're going to do it either way, so either sell it now or we'll give you a price when we want to" Just like that, city won't issue permits to build, remodel or do anything like that. He has no control over it. And if you wouldn't sell your land to the oil companies, I'm sure the govt would step in, after all it's for the sake of national security.
Pebkac
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Pebkac »

EDIT: Ahh, nevermind. This is a pointless argument.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

Zuruck wrote:I know that bash and Lothar are the same type that would...
Interesting how Zuruck always seems to know things about me that I didn't know about myself...

Also interesting to note that this thread no longer has anything to do with the actual freeway signs or any related topic.
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

Zuruck wrote:Bash, aren't guitarists supposed to be tree huggers?
No, the best guitars are made from murdered trees! So either quit playing or join the dark side ;)