56k vs. Wireless

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

56k vs. Wireless

Post by []V[]essenjah »

I recently found a service that is around $30 per month and a friend of the family claims it's pretty good. I can't get DSL or Cable where I live so I was wondering if anyone would know if Wireless would be any better than 56k for Descent 3?

I'm currently running on a 56k that has been optimised to run as a 28k modem. So I was wondering if a 500k connect would make a difference? I could also get a 1M connect but it is pretty expensive. Any thoughts?
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Wireless is hit and miss, sometimes its great sometimes its not, your best bet is to try it out and see.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

What kind of wireless? Microwave towers are supposed to have decent latency, whereas satellites have quite terrible latency. If you receive close to the bandwidth advertised, you will of course receive better download rates (despite latency). Another thing though-- often wireless service requires a phone line for upload, which means you'll still have to use a phone line. So, basically, look into it some more. Image
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

Find a customer and ask them nicely if you could do some ping plots from their PC. DSLreports..... play a game for a bit.....
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Yeah, avoid satelite like the plague. You'll be having upwards around 10 second ping times if you're lucky....and that's on a clear day. If its storming outside....good luck getting online. Image What really sucks is that you pay out the ass for like 400kbit down and barely 128kbit up. If I were you, I'd atleast check out if IDSL is available. Its 128/128, but the ping times are a heck of alot better than with wireless.