Hypothetical Iraq Draft poll

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

If drafted, would you fight in Iraq

Yes
61%
No
39%

Total votes: 61
Birdseye
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Hypothetical Iraq Draft poll

Post by Birdseye »

This is a hypothetical poll. Please no debates about whether a draft will be started, or the pending draft legislation started by democrats.

Since it's been several month since the last poll, I thought I'd fire it up again

* edit * it would be fun to list your response and why if you are willing.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

I'm to old, but yea I prolly would...but that being said, I think I would have to be in charge so I could put an end to the stupid Dieing with no good reasonâ?¦
Zoop!
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Zoop! »

I would go, but I'm not sure it'd be a good idea for me to go. I'm a clutz. I cut myself at the library just walking by a bookshelf. Would you really want me to have a gun?

Anyone who goes there has my respect.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

If I was called on to serve my country, I would go. I'm with Zoop, though; I'm in horrible shape and a major klutz, definitely not soldier material :P. I dearly hope that a draft will not occur within my lifetime, but if one is necessary, I won't dodge it.
Fusion pimp
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Fusion pimp »

I would go.
Skyalmian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Skyalmian »

I'd melt to death an hour after I got there. Me + Heat = bad mix.
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

If I were drafted I'd go. Remember you don't go straight to the warzone people :P

You still have to go through boot camp and even then they might send you off to some other country the US has troops stationed once you're finished there.

I probably wouldn't make the cut at boot and they'd send my ass home but I wouldn't dodge it.
kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by kurupt »

i'd go. i'd probably enjoy it too.
Drakona
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Drakona »

It'd probably take some complicated discussion, what with my husband being a pacifist and all, and the military would be pretty dumb to use me as a grunt (I'm weak) instead of some sort of logistics or intel person (I'm smart! ;)). Granted that, I think I come out as a 'yes'. If there was a need, I can't think of much else I'd rather do.
Zuruck
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Zuruck »

I voted yes, but if Drakona went, it'd be no, I'd want the person in the foxhole next to me to know what the hell they're doing.
kufyit
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by kufyit »

Here's another "radical" question:

For all you people who both support the war AND would go if drafted, why, when you know we are short troops, when you know that troop deployment lengths are increasing against their will, wouldn't you volunteer? Why would you wait for a draft (that isn't going to happen)?
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Post by CUDA »

first off I did volunteer, back in 1978 :P served 4 years in the navy. also after 9/11 I was ready to go again when my wife reminded me that. 1st I'm 44 years old. 2nd I have a bad back. 3rd I am the sole support of my family of 10. and 4th that if I went to Iraq it would probably be for a year or longer and that I would have to go without until I got back home. :o but if it became neccesary for me to goto war I would in a second to defend my family
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Would go if drafted.
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

No. They wouldn't send me over there because they don't wanted 'em all dead. ;) :P
Zuruck
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Zuruck »

Unfortunately, I am willing to go if drafted. I think the cause and action of this so called war have been atrocious so far. Everything is so political about it it's sickening. 40 years ago, a lot of people felt the same way back then as they do now but they were forced into combat. Men stormed beaches and flew into jungles went they didn't want to, but they did because their country asked them to, so not going when called on I think is pretty bad. I just hope Bush knows how to get out of there because the casualty toll gets so high that we need the draft. Maybe I'll just get deferred 5 times like Cheney :)
Viralphrame
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Viralphrame »

kufyit wrote:Here's another "radical" question:

For all you people who both support the war AND would go if drafted, why, when you know we are short troops, when you know that troop deployment lengths are increasing against their will, wouldn't you volunteer? Why would you wait for a draft (that isn't going to happen)?
You're evading the question at hand, Kufy. :P
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Post by CUDA »

Good Lord ppl you act like we are getting our asses handed to us over there, we have lost 1000 ppl ( this is not to belittle the losses ) but we lose almost that many every year in the military just from normal operations, hell in my one west pac cruise when I was in the Navy we lost 9 ppl. thats just 1 ship in a 7 month deployment and at that time we had 500+ ships, 1000 ppl in a year and 1/2 THATS NOTHING!!!!!! here are some numbers of the last 5 major wars that the U.S. has been involved with

Civil war on both side there were 700,000 killed
WW1 there were 53,402 killed
WW2 there were 291,557 killed
Korea there were 33,651 killed
Nam there were 47,378 killed
I read somewhere we were losing 16 ppl a day. in Nam

U.B.L. was right the US has gotten soft and has no stomach for a war, he knew that we wouldnt want to sustain it and that the U.S. citizens would start bitching about the casualties. our country has gotten into the fastfood life style mentality. we want results fast and we want them NOW. too bad real life isnt that way. I think we need to get this into prospective. 1000 ppl in the overall scope of things is miniscule. we lost more than that in 1 day on 9/11
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

^ Word.

I might join up, but before they catch me with the draft ill enlist myself so that I wont be forced to serve in a way that I am uncapable of. Most definately go for the Navy.
Birdseye
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Birdseye »

Supposedly (I've only heard it on the radio) if you count the number of days from the start of nam and the start of Iraq, more americans have already died. Take what you will with that figure.
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

Birdseye I remember when that 'fact' was first introduced. It was taking the first year or two when we had only a relatively few advisor types in 'Nam so we didn't lose many men until we sent in the grunts.

Some demo-hack stirred up that comparison for obvious reasons. Definitly not a valid comparison.

PS: I wouldn't be able to volunteer due to my families financial situation but I'd definitley go if called...or volunteer if we started losing only because of low troop numbers. Under current conditions the youngsters seem to be able to get it done *when* the leadership lets them use all their tools. No one racks up the team-kills quicker than politicians playing games.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

If I was ordered to go fight, I would. Would I get to keep the heads from the "freedom fighters" I kill as trophies?
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by CUDA »

heads are bulky and hard to carry. just lop off their ears and string them into a necklace :twisted:
TheCops
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TheCops »

Krom wrote:Would I get to keep the heads from the "freedom fighters" I kill as trophies?
big type from someone who has not seen, heard, smelt, or felt combat. YAWN
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

I think he was kidding Meat.
kufyit
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by kufyit »

Oh, I think it's plainly obvious what I would do in this particular war if I were drafted. I would respond with a resounding "No".
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

kufyit wrote:Oh, I think it's plainly obvious what I would do in this particular war if I were drafted. I would respond with a resounding "No".
Have fun in jail :P.
Birdseye
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Birdseye »

Or Mexico. Nobody checks what goes into mexico ;) Then just fly from mexico city, or make your way to brazil. As long as you have cash, it won't be a problem.
kufyit
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by kufyit »

I wouldn't leave the country, I would go to jail. To me, jail would be a whole lot better than killing people in an unjust war.
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by CUDA »

define unjust, and dont give me that its an Oil war Bullsh!t
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

Beowulf
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Beowulf »

That is a badass pic.

And yes.
Hostile
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Hostile »

I can't be drafted, but If I were 18 again then yes. But I will probably be somewhere near there next summer so I'll let you know. :P
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Another vote for NO here. I'd tell them to kiss my ass, and hop on a flight to Canadia. ;)
Vlider
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Vlider »

I'd go as "Ranger" tho, or "SEAL". Just through me out there in the dark and I'm at home.

BUT!

What they need to do is start a PRISON DEATHROW DRAFT
IT would solve prison overcrowding. And the inmates could do some wicked cool $hit out there on the battlefield by implementing what they already know with their military training.

just food for thought.
sheepdog
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by sheepdog »

Ferno,That is indeed a badass pic. I love it!

...and no way in Hell I'd go. Course no way in hell they'd want me cuz I'm so spacey, inept with regard to practical matters, no depth perception and am a general all around ★■◆● stirrer (this you all know). But it's "their" bad judgement that got us into Iraq, so I could count on being drafted and sent directly into a position that would seriously damage American interests.*

*edit: Hmmm... it just struck me that if I sincerely oppose the war, I should join up! It'd all be over in a matter of days... ;)
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

I consider it my civic duty- if my nation calls, I'll answer. (Plus, it would answer my question of what to do with myself fairly well)
Sickone
MIA Host/Admin
MIA Host/Admin

Post by Sickone »

I would go.
It is not a soldiers use to choose where or when.
No army could function that way.

Keep in mind, that in both WWI and WWII the public attitude in the states was "it is not our business, and not our problem" Clearly wrong both times.

I don't know that I agree with the war in Iraq.
I do know we enjoy a freedom paid for with the blood of many that came before us.

Also as a side note... to use Viet Nam as a yardstick for death toll /cost vs Iraq is just stupid.

i.e. we went into Iraq with a butt load of troops from the start. In Nam we slowly started building up, so the body count the first few years in Nam was 'low' if you will.

Also, Iraq is more of an urban war than a jungle war, very different.
Instig8
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Instig8 »

I voted 'no' to this poll only because I think that if I was drafted, I highly doubt that I should be sent to Iraq. That is, assuming that I even made it through boot camp.

When I turned 18, there was some requirement to sign up for the draft and I was deathly afraid of it. Still, I did my duty, like the lemming I am.
Phoenix Red
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Phoenix Red »

Their's not to make reply,
Their's not to reason why,
Their's but to do and die:
I'd go. I owe it to the wee ones.
Ani
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Ani »