Mozilla!!!! NO!!!!

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Mozilla!!!! NO!!!!

Post by Iceman »

In a sudden act akin to being born of the micro$biutch ... My Mozilla/Firefox has decided that it will no longer display images for roughly half of the sites I visit. I gave it no instructions to do this, it just decided all by its little self. Just to fu_k with me he has also decided to be inconsistent about which images he will display. That is ... he will display some on a site but not others ...

What the he|| gives guys??????

AAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

heheh
What have you installed recently? What have you changed?

Have you run general maintance measures?
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xamindar »

Are you in windows? Try using it on a real OS. :P
I have had no problems with mozilla.
Skyalmian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Skyalmian »

Empty your cache.
STRESSTEST
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by STRESSTEST »

I cant offer you any help Ice, but I can say after examining that recent poll in the cafe' I decided to give firefox the once around here. Installed 1.0 today fresh off the site and in 1 hour it crashed...

At least with Opera I had stability. Secondly the function of remembering passwords that IS built in to firefox, does not work properly on atleast 2 sites for me, yet all the rest. it imported all the bookmarks and cookies for all of my sites fine from opera.

I'll give it a couple more days to see if it grows on me.... Not impressed so far..
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

tools -> web features.

check in the execeptions for images.

or, alternatly, uncheck "for originating web site only"
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

i think version 1.0 is somewhat a public beta no?

version 1.0 is unstable for me as well. the 0.9x versions were stable as a rock for me.

i'm thinking of going back to version 0.9x

ps: iceman have you gone to dslreports.com to run their java based diagnositic thingy? it fixed up some problems for me like the one you describe.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Been using Mozilla (not firefox) for a number of years now and haven't had any problems.
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Post by Iceman »

fliptw wrote:tools -> web features.

check in the execeptions for images.

or, alternatly, uncheck "for originating web site only"
There is no 'tools -> web features' in my browser.
Skyalmian wrote:Empty your cache.
O I C, I should do this once a day or so? What is the purpose of a cache if I have to continuously/manually empty it?

Not impressed any more ... Opera hmmmmm ....
Plebeian
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Plebeian »

Iceman wrote:There is no 'tools -> web features' in my browser.
It's actually Tools > Options... > Web Features.

I haven't been having any issues at all with the 1.0 RC, using it both at work and on two computers at home. No crashes, no strange behavior, it's been working as well as it ever had (sometimes better). Not sure why everyone else seems to be having problems of various sorts.... :?
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Post by Iceman »

KTHX! Still no go ...
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

I don't suppose you accidentally adblocked them...

Check the source of the images, then check your blocked list. You can either click the Adblock button in the bottom-left of the GUI or Tools -> Adblock -> Preferences. Then just scroll down the list.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Iceman, you can set a time period for the automatic emptying of the cache.
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

MD-2389 wrote:I don't suppose you accidentally adblocked them...

Check the source of the images, then check your blocked list. You can either click the Adblock button in the bottom-left of the GUI or Tools -> Adblock -> Preferences. Then just scroll down the list.
X2.

When blocking ads you sometimes have to be very careful - because it can unintentionally wipe of half the content of sites you visit regularly. Make sure when blocking ads - that site content does not disappear.

Many sites are getting smarter now, and hosting the adverts themselves to avoid blockers - but you can always use the * wildcard.

I often block *.SWF and .../.../ads/* and .../.../banners/*
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Post by Iceman »

I have done NOTHING as far as the settings. My Mozilla is configured as it is out of the box (er ... uh ... installer) ... All settings are at their default values.
Bonz
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Bonz »

tools/options/web features
do you have
Load images checked?
for originating website only checked?
if so this could be the problem.

edit: oops didn't see flips post
Skyalmian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Skyalmian »

O I C, I should do this once a day or so? What is the purpose of a cache if I have to continuously/manually empty it?
I didn't say anywhere to do it once a day. I empty mine every 10 - 20 days. The files that are there are meant to be temporary, not permanent.

About 7 months ago, back when I used Firefox, I had let my cache get too large. I had visited the D3kBB, and noticed that all the images were mixed around. Emptying the cache fixed the problem.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Iceman wrote:I have done NOTHING as far as the settings. My Mozilla is configured as it is out of the box (er ... uh ... installer) ... All settings are at their default values.
Just a quick nitpick: Mozilla and FireFox are NOT the same browser. Click me (FireFox on the left, Mozilla on the right. Keep in mind that I'm using a different skin for Mozilla.) Firefox is quite different (in appeareance) to Mozilla (Now referred to as Mozilla Suite) Mozilla is the browser component, mail client, composer, and chat client all built into one program. FireFox is just the browser component (which IMO, looks like the bastard child of Mozilla and Internet Explorer...) If you refer to FF as Mozilla, people will confuse the two.

That being said, set your cache down to a pretty low level (like 10MB or so....or just turn it off if you're on broadband since it won't help you at all with a fast pipe.) so it'll get cleared pretty often.