1.5 Billion

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Vander
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

1.5 Billion

Post by Vander »

Aides said about three-fourths of the $80 billion was expected to be for the Army, which is bearing the brunt of the fighting in Iraq. It also was expected to include money for building a U.S. embassy in Baghdad, which has been estimated to cost $1.5 billion.
Link

I realize the embassy probably won't cost that much, but damn, 1.5 billion? Isn't that a bit obscene?

For reference:
Pacbell Park (SF Giants) = $319 million
Freedom Tower (WTC site) = $1.5 billion (estimate)
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Well for one, the parks you mentioned don't need to be worried about bombs blowing up at their front gate or mortor rounds landing on the roof. Then there are the electronic security equipment needed. Don't know how much of the allocated funds that'll be but I suppose a chunk.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

That does seem very pricey, but unless any one of us knows the exact building specifications, we can't really form a realistic price expectation.
MehYam
DBB Head Flapper
DBB Head Flapper

Post by MehYam »

I always wonder if these things are creative accounting... maybe some of that wad of cash gets shuffled to something else. Like covering the cost of the war effort, but I guess the whole 1.5B isn't much of a dent, anyway.
Couver_
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Couver_ »

Hey I demand the right to poop on a 1000 dollar toilet seat!!! :P
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

maybe it pays for staffing for a certain amount of time. or perhaps some of the budget is for PR.
Birdseye
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Birdseye »

i'm betting there is a whole lot of $500 hammer goin' down
t-pilot
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by t-pilot »

I think so too. A 1.5 Billion dollar building should either be really big, or they use diamons for the windows, instead of glass.
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

For 1.5 billion they should be able to build a giant toilet and just flush the whole region! :D
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Having worked on new high schools that were 400 thousand square feet and a price tag around 50 million. I'd have to say 1.5 billion should build one heck of a structure.
bash
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by bash »

Considering it will be the modern version of Fort Apache, my guess is it's going to be big, fortified like crazy and filled with really expensive spying equipment. The ghost of Tehran lingers nearby and no pol ever wants that to happen again, especially not on their watch. As such, the expense doesn't surprise me.