SATA Drive Problem

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Capm
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

SATA Drive Problem

Post by Capm »

System:
Abit NF7-S/ Athlon 2500+ o/c 2125mhz
1GB Ram
GF 4 Ti4200 64meg
IDE2 - DVD Drive
CD/RW Drive
IDE1 - Maxtor 60gig drive
Zip 100
SATA1 - IBM 40gb drive (ata w/sata adaptor)
SATA2 - WD 36gb 10k rpm drive in removable cage

The WD drive isn't showing up as a drive....
Sata Control Panel shows the drive.
Device Manager shows a generic volume...
The drive list doesn't show the drive.

Drive is new, cage is new, cable is new - tried on other sata port with other drive disco'd, still didn't work. I'm stumped.
Vander
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Vander »

Does it show up in Disk Management? Make sure there's a partition on the drive, and that a drive letter is assigned to the partition.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

and if it shows in disk management after it is formatted just double check TweakUI if you have it installed(or some other program of the sort) and make sure that drive is set to be displayed in case you played with it. that's what happened to me when I was setting up my external firewire drive in which I was setting as Z:/
Capm
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Capm »

Both the SATA ports work, I'm sure now, the ibm drive works fine on both, these drives don't work on either. I've taken them out of the raid cages and hooked them straight up, windows setup will see 1 (I have 2 of these drives here now, they're identical) and formatted it, and started copying files to it - the other drive the controller won't see at all... But neither still show up as a drive in windows. All drive letters are selected to be shown, so that isn't it. Doesn't show up in disk management either... And that generic volume is actually for the zip drive I found out
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Ok you have the SATA enabled in BIOS and the SI RAID drivers installed in windows or you wouldnt see that far. Make sure the drive is formatted and has a partition in diskmgmt.msc, double check all your BIOS settings anyway.

Another thought, if the drive doesn't show or initlize in diskmgmt.msc try removing the "generic volume" from device manager completely and reboot.
Capm
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Capm »

If I didn't, the ibm drive wouldn't work on the sata
Capm
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Capm »

Well, turns out it was a bios issue...

Unfortunately, now that I updated the bios and restarted the machine, it won't post anymore. :x

So unless ya'll got any ideas on that, I'd say I'm pretty screwed until I get another board.
Bonz
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Bonz »

bios chips are pretty cheap
Capm
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Capm »

Where does one get a bios chip for an NF7-S?
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Did you try clearing the cmos? I updated my NF7-S to the latest version while searching for better overclocking options and it didn't cause any problems.
Capm
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Capm »

Yea, I tried that, but I found where to get a replacement, so no worries.
Capm
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Capm »

Well I'll be a son of a gun... Apparently, my NF7-S is a v2.0.. not a 1.0 or 1.2 like I thought, there was my error in the first place. I didn't think it was new enough. Hmmph. Now I gotta order a different chip... man I can't seem to win for losing this week.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

Heh, that explains it then. Next time you will remember to read the PCB and make sure you get the right bios version. I have a NF7-S 2.0, got it right after the NF7-S first came out, so there really aren't that many revision 1 NF7-S boards out there, it is not surprising you got a 2.0.
Capm
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Capm »

Well, I did a hot-flash in another system and now I've got it back up and working... however, the damn sata drive still isn't working....
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

Try a Napalm Rocket or Smart Missle by any chance?
Capm
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Capm »

I may just have to face the fact that these drives may never work with this sata controller.