Can a single player mod for UT2004 be developed?

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Can a single player mod for UT2004 be developed?

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Ok, please don't kill me for this but I thought I would ask this question.

For those who play UT2004 or mod it, I was wondering, would it be possible to create a descent-like single player mission set? I bought a copy of UT2004 DVD Version so that I can take the Maya and skinning tutorials and begin working on custom vehicles/weapons/ and characters eventually. I'm still not sure if this is the direction I wish to go in so I have not even opened the package since I bought it.

I also only have a 56k modem so multi really isn't worth much to me. I'm mostly interested in Single Player. However, I might try to get into multi during next Fall or Winter when I move out and get broadband. :)

From what I have heard, it is much easier to develope mods/custom vehicles/characters/weapons for than Descent 3. I can't say first hand though. :\
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

http://mods.moddb.com/3959/

Yes, its possible.
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

Whether or not it's "easier" is a very subjective notion, though. As I said several times, Unreal does have some limitations that could make a Descent-type game difficult. For example, it can't have floating powerup locators. Without a doubt, it would require knowledge of UnrealScript and maybe more programming to make the Unreal Engine behave like Descent. No trivial task.

Still, in all your months of "Should I use this engine? Should I use that engine? Should I use this program?" the real answer is to JUST DO IT.
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Actually Sol, I've been working on a single player project for about a year now. :)

I was thinking about another project though. I was waiting for UT2004 to come out to build Plague Arena in though.

Also considering that the DVD version has a boat load of tutorials and I think I read mention that it explains UnrealScript.

As for floating powerups. Why do we need floating powerups anyway? Why does it need to be Descent specifically? Descent-like would suffice for me.

We could have a setup of sort where you configure your ships payload. :)

I opened up the package today and took a peak inside to see that there was a racing mod (nfs style but the bots suck at laps) and a few other interesting mods developed for this project.

At this point, I will not say if I will or will not work on a project like this. But that I am considering the thought.

I work for a mod design team and a game company, plus another job and trying to prepare to move for technical college next year.

The only reason I am really seriously looking at such a game is this:

I will be learning Maya, 3DS Max, Animation and Photoshop during the next two years when I go to my technical college. :D
Mickey1
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Mickey1 »

I would think a vehicle class modification would be the easiest Descent mod. I got side tracked by OSA. Working on a sleep chamber. I should be finished testing by August. Keep Moving
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

You'd also have to figure out how Unreal handles 360º flight. Because, out of the box, I don't think it does. The only level that comes close is AS-Mothership, but that was a one-off map and you couldn't roll. For that matter, normal Unreal movement is restricted to the XZ (or, to them, XY) plane. No matter how the surface is sloped, the player is always oriented perpendicular to the ground unless they are in certain vehicles (like the Onslaught tank).