Exeem

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Pun
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Exeem

Post by Pun »

www.exeem.com

Supposedly it's a bittorrent based app that has no need for trackers. Anyone using it yet and if so, what is your opinion?
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

It has adware. And for me tracker websites are still the way to go.
Vertigo 99
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Vertigo 99 »

Tracker's are a good thing, I think.
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Post by Iceman »

Someone please splane to dis noob wot bit torrent is?
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Bittorrent is a peer to peer file swarming application. You download a file, and as you download it you share parts that you have with other people that are downloading the same file. The more people that download the file the faster the torrent runs overall. Currently bittorrent is consuming more then one third of the total internet bandwdith, more then any other single application, and more then all other peer to peer file sharing applications combined.
ccb056
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by ccb056 »

Trackers are a bad idea, once the ria/mpaa shuts down a tracker, they demand a list of all the ip addresses that used the tracker, and unless youre going through a proxy, you will probably get a nice little letter in the mail either from your isp or from the ria/mpaa.
Plebeian
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Plebeian »

ccb056 wrote:Trackers are a bad idea, once the ria/mpaa shuts down a tracker, they demand a list of all the ip addresses that used the tracker, and unless youre going through a proxy, you will probably get a nice little letter in the mail either from your isp or from the ria/mpaa.
So stick to your adware- and trojan-ridden P2P apps, and let those who want to be assured of what they're getting use BT trackers. :P Not everyone uses file-sharing programs to pirate software/music/movies/whatever. ;) (As an example, Blizzard used BT for file downloads for WoW.)
ccb056
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by ccb056 »

I didn't say spyware ridden p2p apps were better, the safest alternative would be to physically distribute whatever it is you want to transfer on media such as cd's or dvd's.
Plebeian
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Plebeian »

Well, assuming you're not talking about someone sending stuff to themselves (which defeats the purpose of BT), use of BT is pretty much just an evolution of the traditional download. Instead of pulling all of the file from the host server, you'll grab bits and pieces from anyone currently downloading or hosting. (The provider of the file must of course keep the file seeding somewhere, but BT reduces their bandwidth cost, since they're only sending some of the bits to each downloader.)

If you're worried about digital transfer, then you shouldn't be downloading anything from anywhere anyway. ;) But with trackers, you're at least guaranteed that you're getting the same file as the other X people who connected got. Yeah, trackers can be found that lead to bad files, but if you're sticking with legitimate, respected sites, then you shouldn't have anything to worry about.
Pun
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Pun »

Yes, but legitimate, respected sites are not in ample supply these days. That's why I wonder if Exeem would be a viable alternative.
kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by kurupt »

exeem was pretty dissapointing in my opinion. if you need links to respectable sites, pm me and i'll share what i know
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

Peer to peer is scary today. BT and other apps can land you in court...

Let's say I'm glad that I took a break just before Suprnova and torrentbits went tits-up.