D1 Help!!

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Zman
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

D1 Help!!

Post by Zman »

ok every time i start my saved game in D1, using the 1.43 patch from Planetdescent.com, I get a windows XP message saying, "D1x143mw has caused an error and must close." I dont know how to fix it.
Admiral LSD
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Admiral LSD »

You can try D1x 1.42 which is claimed to have less bugs(!) than 1.43 but the reality is that D1x is horribly broken and it's unlikely it'll be fixed any time soon. If you have a fairly beefy machine (and by this I mean as beefy as or beefier than my XP3000+ which, even maxed out, only manages 486-Pentium 1 performance in DOSBox) then you can try running D1 in something like DOSBox but other than that, your options are limited.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

You can play D1 levels and the single player mission using D2X-W32, provided you have a Windows OS (preferrably XP). Just copy all D1 data into the D2 folder, and put any D1 multiplayer missions you might have into the missions sub folder. A few textures might look different, and maybe the weapons and physics will be slightly different (if you can tell such a difference anyway), but it will work.

Find D2X-W32 on my Descent site (click on the D2X-W32 logo). The D2X-W32 section has a link to D1 specifics in the side menu.
Zman
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Zman »

Ok #1 I dont own D2, and Im still trying to buy it off ebay, unless you guys are willing to like, email me an iso or suttin.

#2 I tried the same thing with the 1.42 patch, and it did the SAME thing. I should probably try the 1.40 patch. Maybe ill go try it.
RUL-
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by RUL- »

Check for new versions of your video drivers. That may help. Oh, and be sure you patch your D1 to 1.4a at least, then add the d1x files. Good luck.
Zman
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Zman »

it still dont freakin work. with 1.42 and 1.43!!!!! Crap I want it to work cause my pentium 3 650 mhz laptop just broke so I dont have anything to play it on!! this sux.
Admiral LSD
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Admiral LSD »

http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/news.php?show_news=1

http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopic.php?t=8867

Your P4 shouldn't be that much slower than my 3000+ AMD so with the dynamic CPU core and 40000 cycles (along with the DOS extender modification) you should be able to get D1 running at a reasonably playable rate.
NWRhino
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by NWRhino »

I used D1x143-ogl under win95 compatability mode, and it worked fine for me. If you want to change the resolution, don't do it in the game options, use the command -1024x768 for example.