D2X-XL Bug Reports - Linux

D2X-XL - Descent II update for modern systems with many new features and enhanced graphics. Home Page

Moderators: Grendel, Aus-RED-5

_sd
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by _sd »

Version 1.6.17, compiled from source in linux, a debug build

When not using printlog or debug, the game runs, consumes some memory, and then segfaults.

With debug, it runs, and requires twice pressing Ctrl+C to get back to console, with no error messages. Relevant portion of d2x.log is:

Error: Couldn't open audio
(Couldn't set audio parameters: Invalid argument)

Error: Couldn't open audio
(Couldn't set audio parameters: Invalid argument)

MEM_FREE_NOMALLOC: An attempt was made to free a ptr that wasn't
allocated with mem.h included.
Freeing a non-allocated pointer!

File 'descent.sng' not found

Initializing texture merge buffer
Setting screen mode

Loading player profile

After that, there is 42 times

when I just wait.

After first Ctrl+C keypress, 21 more appear. After the second one, at least 250 more appear. The file ends with five of the following (the non-allocated pointer line is missing):

I'm convinced that the game is stuck inside the pilot selection screen, but for some reason can't display it.
Steel
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Steel »

Version 1.6.26 built locally from source; using sdl_mixer and freepats, probably doesn't matter in this case. I'm using Fedora Core 5, updated today.
When I turn on expert mode in the configuration menu, then turn on weapon gauges, D2X-XL crashes. The end of the log did not seem relevant to this.

When I enable hires_models, enter D2 L1, and press alt-F12, things look okay. But when I move forward, the game crashes. Last entry in the log is akin to 'building shader programs'. Do the hi-poly model textures use part of the hi-res textures code?

On a sidenote: very interesting effect when trying to use high-res textures. :shock:
Can you add more debug to the shader program building, so someone can try to figure out the problem?
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

No shader progs used for hires textures. You can get around shader usage if specifying 'gl_alttexmerge 0', in which case I recommend to turn texture quality down to 'high' (256x256).
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xamindar »

Gosh, you're such a German! :P

I guess by telling me to read the anouncment thread you mean that I am posting a bug report in the wrong place. Okay, here it is:
Yeah I did and I followed yours which said to put them in \"/usr/local/share/d2x-xl\". The actual program said to put them under \"/usr/local/share/games/d2x-xl\" though.
Which is the correct one?

Second BUG:
Ok, I have the same problem I had with the windows version. I can not change my joystick deadzone and sensitivity. I am able to edit the button configuration though.
Others have this problem too but do not recieve any answers in their posts. These two bugs are not listed in the FAQ or installation guide as far as I know.

Thanks for your work on this project and help you have provided me so far. You could be a little nicer though considering I am trying to help you test this as well. I don't think it is THAT important to keep the forums so regimented.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

I find it disrespectful and unfriendly to ignore things I have written here to make life both for the D2X-XL users and for me easier.

If you think following a few rules, instead of ignoring what others do and how they organize things to make them work for all is 'German', I can relieve you: Americans are pretty good at that, too. :P

Don't step on my feet, and you will get to know a friendlier side of mine. ;)

If you had read a little more here and probably tried the search function as outlined in the very announcement thread you chose to ignore, you would have found out about my statements concerning problems with the config menu: I cannot reproduce them, hence I cannot fix them. I wish I could because such things are a PITA.
The actual program said to put them under \"/usr/local/share/games/d2x-xl\" though.
Where does it say that? The default path is \"/usr/local/share/d2x-xl\" (I only chose it because some Linux user told me that would be the proper place for a program like D2X-XL).

Actually, you can specify an arbitrary program folder with '-userdir <path>'. If you had bothered reading the docs on my web site you would have found that out by yourself, but obviously you prefer having me spend extra time for you and type everything twice. :P
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xamindar »

Sorry, I have not been able to find any list of command line options on your website, I must be blind. :?

Ok, I just figured out a way to "fix" the config problem I am having. I went into miscelanious settings and enabled "show expert options". Then went back to the controller config and I am now able to change deadzone and sensitivity and it will stay. Simply put, those settings will not change without expert options enabled.

Diedel wrote:
The actual program said to put them under "/usr/local/share/games/d2x-xl" though.
Where does it say that? The default path is "/usr/local/share/d2x-xl" (I only chose it because some Linux user told me that would be the proper place for a program like D2X-XL).
It says it at the end of the configure script when using the source:

Code: Select all

config.status: creating arch/ogl/Makefile
config.status: creating arch/sdl/Makefile
config.status: creating arch/win32/Makefile
config.status: creating console/Makefile
config.status: creating iff/Makefile
config.status: creating libmve/Makefile
config.status: creating main/Makefile
config.status: creating maths/Makefile
config.status: creating mem/Makefile
config.status: creating misc/Makefile
config.status: creating texmap/Makefile
config.status: creating cfile/Makefile
config.status: creating conf.h
config.status: executing depfiles commands

d2x has been configured successfully.

Platform(s): linux ogl sdl
        Features   : no_asm network kalinix ipx OpenGL fasteventpoll release

Shared game data directory (unix only): /usr/local/share/games/d2x-xl

lain d2x-xl #
It's probably a simple fix. Wherever that variable gets set durring the configure script can be changed I assume. I'm just curious as to why configure says it will use that directory when in fact d2x-xl will still use the one that you said it uses. Hope this info helps. :)
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Re:

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

Xamindar wrote:Sorry, I have not been able to find any list of command line options on your website, I must be blind. :?
http://www.descent2.de/d2x-switches.html
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Re:

Post by Diedel »

Xamindar wrote:Simply put, those settings will not change without expert options enabled.
That's a very good information, thank you. :)

The configure script is not authoritative regarding d2x-xl folders, the stuff in there is rather historic. I will fix that.
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xamindar »

I think I saw this in one of the threads: The midi music does not loop. It will only play through once and then not again until you complete the level. This was in the Descent 1 levels, not sure if this is a problem with the Descent 2 levels as well.
_sd
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by _sd »

About linux 1.6.58 compiled from source

Without debug enabled in configure, the executable will run, wait for some time, and then segfault. It will not display any error messages or any windows.

My X setup does support OpenGL, and has direct rendering enabled.

With debug enabled at compile time, the game outputs

ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:862:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave
CDROMVOLCTRL ioctl failed

but displays no window. It will exit after I press Ctrl+C twice. There is no indication why it does not run.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

_sd,

why don't you get a debugger and see where it crashes? I have no problems on my Linux box, so I cannot reproduce and hence not fix this problem. Sorry, dude.

You can also run it using the -printlog switch and post ~/d2x.log here.
_sd
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by _sd »

Odd thing is, it does not segfault with --enable-debug. I've already done the debugging. The game runs in the loop that waits for the user to pick a pilot. Only problem is that the window is not displayed. Not in my Matrox machine, and not in my GeForce2 machine.

The loop tightens after the first Ctrl+C, so I assume it displays some kind of confirmation window before exiting on the second Ctrl+C.

I know perfectly well that you can not magically see where the problem is. My hope is that a) someone else experiencing the same problem could give us more information, b) you could later possibly remember something that has to do with this, and maybe write a check that would reveal the cause to this.

Also, is there any way to put back or enable again the software renderer? It might not look as good, but would enable many older Pentium II, K6-2 and early Celeron machines, including all my machines to run d2x-xl. The improvements in gameplay would be worth it for many.
_sd
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by _sd »

Error: Could not set 640x480x32 opengl video mode

This seems to be the problem. What possible causes are there? xrandr gives me valid output with 640x480 included, and glxinfo says that I have OpenGL acceleration.
ThePsycho
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by ThePsycho »

I already read the discussion about the home-directories etc. and I got the same problem now:

I don't want to run the game as root, but I also don't want to give normal users write-permissions in the data directory.

Is there still no way to get that working yet?
I specified a userdir in the commandline, but that didn't help.
I also looked into inferno.c, but I never wrote C-code, so it is hard to fix it myself.

Other issues I noticed:
- The d2x.ini is never read. I can write there whatever I want, it is just ignored.
I tried to put it in /usr/local/share/d2x-xl , /usr/share/local/bin and as .d2x in the home directory

- There is no commandline-help available - I read the available switches from the source

- In old menustyle, expert options off, I get a segfault when entering \"Game Options\" and leave the submenu with the ESC-key.

- When not using the commandline-swich \"-sound22k\" there is no sound in the game - just in the videos
I don't know if it is really a bug, but it is an unexpected behaviour, because you first don't know about commadline-switches

The Version I tried: 1.6.58 binary and source
_sd
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by _sd »

Maybe the game should default to ~/.d2x-xl as the data directory, and keep all the read-only data in /usr/something. I don't see any reason why it should know about all the different pilots present in the machine.

Also, it could complain about all cmdline switches it didn't understand, and somehow acknowledge all it did.
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xamindar »

_sd and ThePsycho, I have those problems as well. I wish deidel would care to help but I'm afraid he will just point you to his website for the answers, some of which aren't even there. I have tried getting help about some of these problems as well but it doesn't seem he is interested.

The way any program SHOULD work in Linux is to have it's data somewhere like /usr/share and have ANY config files (d2x.ini, pilot files, save games) in the users home directory. But so far I have had to just make the whole /usr/local/games/d2x-xl directory world everything (0777) !BAD!...

Here is the command I use to launch it, sense it refuses to read the d2x.ini file. Hope it is usefull you you guys:

Code: Select all

/usr/local/games/d2x-xl/d2x-xl -sound22k -fullscreen -nocdrom -render_quality 3 -gl_alttexmerge -playermessages -noredundancy -gl_reticle 0 -render2texture 1 -menustyle 1 -fastmenus 1 -sdl_mixer 1 -mathformat 2 -use_d1sounds 1 -altbg_brightness 0.75 -altbg_alpha -1.0 -altbg_grayscale 0 -hires_textures 1 -hires_models 1 -printlog

Other than my lack of support complaints I think Deidel has done a great job and I encourage him to continue. He breathed some life back into D2. :)
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

D2X-XL does keep the private data (ini file, temporary midi file) in the user directory. If the ini file resides in the user directory, it has to bear the name .d2x though (~/.d2x). Should I change that to ~/d2x.ini? Plr files aren't yet read from the home dir though, that would require some bigger changes.

I am always open to fixing any problems in this area, but currently aren't aware of any.

If you run D2X-XL with the -printlog parameter, it will create ~/d2x.log containing all the cmd line switches it has read (doesn't mean it has understood all). For a list of valid switches see my Descent site, D2X-XL area (side scrolling menu).

A problem with the -userdir switch on Linux I've just detected is that D2X-XL expects the application to reside there as well.

If you simply want to specify an alternative data folder, use the -hogdir switch.

I had thought of it already, but chances that I put SW rendering into D2X-XL are very very slim, as that would require a heck of a lot of work. It might help if someone pointed me to a really good tutorial how to use SDL SW rendering. ;) The biggest problem would be to compute the proper screen coordinates for the textures that are to be rendered. OpenGL does all the projection, stretching and rotating for me. SDL doesn't seem to.

I will check the menu bug on Windows, but currently I am in vacation and will only be able to test Linux versions in 3 weeks from now.

Edit: Found a potential cause of the menu bug.
ThePsycho
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by ThePsycho »

Diedel wrote:D2X-XL does keep the private data (ini file, temporary midi file) in the user directory. If the ini file resides in the user directory, it has to bear the name .d2x though (~/.d2x). Should I change that to ~/d2x.ini? Plr files aren't yet read from the home dir though, that would require some bigger changes.
I think you should change it to: ~/.d2x-xl/d2x.ini
That savegames and plr-files can't be read form the homedirectory is a pity - that would make sense for the windows-version, too, because as a normal user you should there also have no write-permissions in the home-directory, but in your user-home-folder.

edit: You changed it already to ~/d2x.ini - now the program recognizes my ini-file :)
But - in my opinion - it would really be better in a hidden directory (~/.d2x-xl/d2x.ini)
A problem with the -userdir switch on Linux I've just detected is that D2X-XL expects the application to reside there as well.

If you simply want to specify an alternative data folder, use the -hogdir switch.
That's a bit confusing - you mean, if I specify the userdir as ~/.d2x-xl and the hogdir as /usr/local/share/d2x-xl I got the behaviour I want!?
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Just specify the data folder with -hogdir.
ThePsycho
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by ThePsycho »

Sorry, either I don' understand you or you don't understand me - that doesn't change anything for me.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

ThePsycho wrote:Sorry, either I don' understand you or you don't understand me.
Yes. ;)
zelurker
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

smoke problem in demo

Post by zelurker »

Just noticed that when you play a demo with smoke enabled in 1.6.58 or 1.6.70 the smoke doesn't seem to disappear at all, making the demo to play slower and slower.
Work around : just disable smoke before playing the demo, so it's not a very big problem.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

I know.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

ThePsycho wrote:- There is no commandline-help available - I read the available switches from the source
There's way to many options. See my D2 site for a complete list.
ThePsycho wrote:- In old menustyle, expert options off, I get a segfault when entering "Game Options" and leave the submenu with the ESC-key.
Cannot reproduce on Win32 (currently no access to Linux box). Might have been fixed already as I went over the menus, looking for such bugs, and fixed a few.
ThePsycho wrote:- When not using the commandline-swich "-sound22k" there is no sound in the game - just in the videos
I don't know if it is really a bug, but it is an unexpected behaviour, because you first don't know about commadline-switches
Fixed in the source, but no Linux code yet (no Linux box currently).

I will see to have the Linux version keep the player profiles in the home folder (~/d2x-xl/profiles/*).

zelurker has applied a fix to SDL_mixer 1.2.7 preventing crashes that occur w/o the fix. I currently cannot apply it though (Linux box access ...). Next week I will.
Xamindar wrote:Ok, I just figured out a way to "fix" the config problem I am having. I went into miscelanious settings and enabled "show expert options". Then went back to the controller config and I am now able to change deadzone and sensitivity and it will stay. Simply put, those settings will not change without expert options enabled.
This works now on Win32, so probably on Linux as well, but I can only test it next week.
Zombie Ryushu
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

D2X-XL, multiple bugs in 1.6.78

Post by Zombie Ryushu »

I am trying to get d2x-xl pushed into contribs for Mandriva, I've encountered a few bugs.

- I have Descent 2 Demo Data, v 1.0, and Descent 1 First Strike v.1.4

- Descent 1 data causes a segmentation violation, Its data is in the same directory as the descent 2 data. I cannot play the full version of Descent 1.

- Descent 2 does not display Laser Fire Correctly. All the other weapons work however. The Laser Fire's effects are pronounced, but they are \"invisible\"

- Typically, Users application settings in home directories start with a period (.) i.e. ~/.d2x-xl not ~/d2x-xl, and d2x-xl is not creating the directory on its own if it doesn't exist.

- -debug parameter fails

I'm also attempting to bring the package more inline with Mandriva specifications and would like someone to work with me on compile time warnings I get.
Zombie Ryushu
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Midi support.

Post by Zombie Ryushu »

Something I forgot.

The best way to get Midi support written into D2X-XL is to get it to pipe midi data to \"Timidity\". Most computer sound chipsets do not have real MPU-401 or FM chips at all, and emulate this hardware with drivers in Windows. The best solution for this is to write a Timidity linker like PrBoom Uses where the Timidity service plays the music.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Hi Ryushu,

welcome to the DBB. :)

D2X-XL uses timidity on Linux if you enable SDL_mixer.

I have no problems using D1 data with D2X-XL on Linux (OpenSuse 10).

I could not observe problems with laser fire, but I will re-check.

Linux files starting with a period are invisible, I wanted to avoid that.

D2X-XL does not create any folders on its own. You will have to provide them.
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xamindar »

Diedel wrote: Linux files starting with a period are invisible, I wanted to avoid that.
Yes they are invisible. That is the point. We (Linux users) do not want so see thousands of config files cluttering up our home directories. :wink: Please don't avoid it, make them invisible. It's only one extra keystroke to be able to see them anyway.
Why doesn't it work?
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Anything else, like another folder for the D2X-XL data? I am not a Linux expert, so I don't know the standards there.
Zombie Ryushu
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

File list of /usr/local/share/d2x-xl

Post by Zombie Ryushu »

I can post a file list, or the RPM Specfile I use t build d2x-xl.
Zombie Ryushu
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Packaging D2X-XL

Post by Zombie Ryushu »

I wanted to give some pointers for packaging D2X-XL that are problems I run into.

First of all, you might as well stop distributing D2X-XL's \"Linux x86-32 executable\". It doesn't work on most Linux distributions out there. On mine, I got Broken pipe issues and Segmentation faults. Its also not how Linux software is supposed to be distributed.

Linux Uses package management to see how software should be most uniformly installed. I have made a D2X-XL Package. the thing is, a number of aspects of your tarballs create furstrations for me as I don't really know what needs to go where.

The Standard convention for a Linux source Tarball is Name-version.tar.bz2 Note I say bz2. not gz. bz2 is a better compression algorithm.

when it is decompressed in the build directory, The directory should be just Name-version. Currently. it decompresses to ./src, that means that I have to re-tarball the Archive before I can run my packaging SPEC File over it.

I won't go into all the details. I wish I could add a SPec or an SRPM here. but this forum does not allow the uploading of Binary Attachments.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

I only know enough about Linux to believe that it's a PITA OS.

Many things don't seem to work as they should on my Linux installation (I cannot even recursively delete files, although I have looked up the proper syntax in the manual plus asked some ppl; somehow it doesn't work). I don't know how to make a tar.bz2. I also know that I cannot expect the exe to run on other Linux distros. I don't know how to make a proper Linux distribution package. I haven't even managed to install a C/C++ debugger (I tried to, but I would have had to install 3 or 4 other packages first, which I would have had to gather together from I don't know where).

Etc. etc.

Recently another Linux pro told me he didn't care about MS Windows because he hates it. I hate Linux - it's an unaccessible, complicated, cryptic OS with manuals from hell (if they exist at all) - but yet I try to offer D2X-XL for it. ;)

Oh man, don't get me started on LinSux.

Feel free to assist. :)
Zombie Ryushu
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

FreeNode

Post by Zombie Ryushu »

Can you meet me on the FreeNode IRC Network (irc.freenode.net) #mandriva Look for Zombie

It sounds like you got shafted by a bad distributor. Linux is not Homogeneous like Windows is. I'd be happy to assist you. But one thing to keep in mind is that many distributors have many differing opinions of how Linux should be, nd are only right half of the time.

Some distributors, like Fedora, are very VERY irresponsible about how they package and distribute their software. Linux can be Uniformly maintained and managed to a greater extent than Windows actually, with the appropriate lower case \"d\" discipline.

I can show you some standarsd and practices I use and some pitfalls to avoid.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

I know that Linux is not homogenous. I know about the various distros.

I am using OpenSUSE 10 directly from Novell. Afaik this is a pretty good distro. Maybe my installation got messed up somehow during applying some security patch or update. I have e.g. lost the task bar I had at the screen bottom a while ago.

I will however not dig into this stuff, sorry. I just don't have the time. If somebody is willing to bring the Linux installation of D2X-XL into the proper shape, he's welcome.
Zombie Ryushu
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

D2X-XL, bugs

Post by Zombie Ryushu »

The bad things is, I get multiple build warnings. I am not a C++ or C coder so its not something I know how to fix. This is not something someone else can do. Only you know your code.

Also;

to create a bz2 archive, run tar with cjvf parameters.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

You can ignore warnings.
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xamindar »

OK, this site is rediculus! Totally unusable. I wish someone would fix it. This problem has been ongoing for few weeks now. I am NOT able to post large replies to these boards. PLEASE FIX IT KOOLBEAR! :x

Diedle, I'm going to pm you my post, maybe that will work.

EDIT: Ok, PM seemed to work. :)
Why doesn't it work?
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

You can email to karx11erx at googlemail dot com.
Zombie Ryushu
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Two issues.

Post by Zombie Ryushu »

Is there a way to configure D2X to use 720x480 resolution (An NTSC TV)

And, Joystick controlls under D2X-XL are WAY too hypersensetive and changing the setting in options does not effect it under Linux.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Not yet. ;)

Edit: No Linux joystick problems here (Saytek Cyborg 3D FF USB stick).