Trinitron dead after power failure

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xamindar »

Ok Ace. To be honest this topic is kind of stupid.

Here you are asking for help/suggestions on fixing a broken monitor *yourself* and then on the other hand you are refusing to touch the thing when someone makes a good suggestion. Learn a little bit about electronics and then you will be able to open it up without zaping yourself. Either that or just take it in to a repair shop and have them do it.

You can't fix it by looking at it. :roll:
Pun
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Pun »

Took the words right out of my mouth! Why did you make the post to begin with if you're afraid to work on the thing?
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

punisher wrote:Took the words right out of my mouth! Why did you make the post to begin with if you're afraid to work on the thing?
he was hoping that we could've provided something that didn't involve poking around inside his monitor.
Ned
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Ned »

I used to take apart TVs constantly as a kid, still alive.

THe one good thing is: capacitors with enough capacity to kill you are going to physically be obvious (at least in the old days). Bigger than a bottle of nail polish: be careful.

One can also make a high ohm resistor shunt and touch it to everything that makes you nervous first. ohm value and discharge time approached thoughtfully.

I have been shocked many times and did many idiotic things, but I wasnt educated like you all are, so fuse seeking wouldn't worry me.

If you want to see some VERY dangerous shizzle, look at: /www.powerlabs.org/
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Xamindar wrote:You can't fix it by looking at it. :roll:
And it certainly won't fix itself...

Seriously Ace, what the hell did you think we were going to say when you post something like this inhabited by people that prefer the DIY route? Either grow a pair and change the fuse yourself, fedex it to me, or send it to a repair shop. Thats the only way this monitor is going to get fixed.
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

Ned wrote: If you want to see some VERY dangerous shizzle, look at: /www.powerlabs.org/

now that is some very interesting stuff. i just spent the last 1 1/2 hours looking at this entire page.

all i can say...........

SCHWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

Wait, you were supposed to be looking at your broken monitor, not at the website! Now you got 1 1/2 hour to make up when you could be trying to fix your monitor by staring at it. :roll:
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

well considering its 8-9 in the evening. i found a shop with decent prices for diagnostics. i will be taking it tomorrow.

that is why ive been looking at this website.
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

mysteriously, i took it to the shop.............................

DAMN THING WORKS PERFECTLY!!!! :o :shock: :oops: :!: :?: :!: :?: :!: :?: :!: :?:

i asked the guy, what would have caused this?

best answer he could give me:

I have no idea! but this isnt the first time ive seen this happen. :?
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

Sure it wasn't the lose nut on the controls?
Stryker
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Stryker »

Nah, the monitor just doesn't like you, ace. :P
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

Stryker wrote:Nah, the monitor just doesn't like you, ace. :P
aparently it doesnt.
Dedman wrote:Sure it wasn't the lose nut on the controls?
very funny a$$hat!! :twisted:

now that its working again, a new issue has arisen:

i see triplet ghosted images of things that are on constrasting backgrounds. like right now, as i type this message in the text box, i can see my cursor with triplet ghost cursors to the right of it.

i WAS considering opening the monitor, but after reading a couple of websites about doing so..........ill take a rain check on that
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Check the cable.
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

done that already. ive gone down the usual list of remedies.

im suspecting something internal.

this only occurs when viewing contrasting steady images, when gaming or the screen is displaying animated or moving stuff....its gone.
Ned
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Ned »

Are you getting the munchies during the ghost images? 8)
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Sounds to me that the electron guns are slightly out of alignment. Either that, or you've got a reasonably strong magnetic field nearby. At any rate, if its the guns then all you have to do is adjust three POTs on the tube. I suggest you put up some kind of black and white grid on the display (black bg, white lines) and use that to align the beams.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

:?: why are we still here

either bring it to the electronics man or buy a new monitor!

and stop making this thread an addition to you postcount
Pun
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Pun »

did someone say postcount?
Ned
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Ned »

what? :P
Ned
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Ned »

what? :P
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Not only do you pointlessly spam, but you double post it too! GJ! :P :D
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

MD-2389 wrote:Sounds to me that the electron guns are slightly out of alignment. Either that, or you've got a reasonably strong magnetic field nearby. At any rate, if its the guns then all you have to do is adjust three POTs on the tube. I suggest you put up some kind of black and white grid on the display (black bg, white lines) and use that to align the beams.

nothing near the monitor that emits EMF, are we talking parts directly on the tube itself or on the PCB?
Ned
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Ned »

my beams weren't aligned, so I wasn't sure if I hit send.

actually DBB was like majorly stalled and I have the attention span of an termite :roll:

This thread warms my heart. IN a day and age where EVERYthing is disposable (shame on you Kevin Costner, you had a good wife . . .), he is obsessing over a frickin monitor. I am impressed.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

Everything is disposable but people complain the most about the things that are easily replaced.
Pun
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Pun »

This thread certainly is disposable.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

MD-2389 wrote:Sounds to me that the electron guns are slightly out of alignment. Either that, or you've got a reasonably strong magnetic field nearby. At any rate, if its the guns then all you have to do is adjust three POTs on the tube. I suggest you put up some kind of black and white grid on the display (black bg, white lines) and use that to align the beams.
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

DEGAUSS.
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

MD close this please. once again, a useful topic has been turned into a pile of utter trash. stupid SOB's, at least i got my act together on this forum, i stay on topic in y'alls topics....... i dont f00k up your topics anymore, yet at the same time, you constantly fuel the fire by destroying whatever topic i make.

if it was something on the PCB, i was considering tuning it myself, i grabbed a couple websites on what not to touch and all that other shiznit. TY Anyways for the advice.

other than MD, Topwop, krom and a couple others, you mofos make me f00king sick.

just WTF is your post supposed to be ned? you can KMFWA with that bs. some people are not as filthy rich as you might be. so take whatever the f00k is burred in your ass and use it somewhere else. i dont even know you and i already dont like you.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

AceCombat wrote:MD close this please.
Can't you remember what forum you are in? :P
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Ace, I can't close this thread. This isn't in the Cafe. Just because I have moderator rights in a given forum doesn't mean I can police the entire board (nor do I even want to...). If you want something done in here, send Stress or Plebeian a PM or bug Topher over AIM.
Ned
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Ned »

I wrote a serious post which could save your life, regarding discharging capacitors. Lay off the coffee.
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

Ned wrote:I wrote a serious post which could save your life, regarding discharging capacitors. Lay off the coffee.

that post yes, but just WTF is this:
Ned wrote:my beams weren't aligned, so I wasn't sure if I hit send.

actually DBB was like majorly stalled and I have the attention span of an termite :roll:

This thread warms my heart. IN a day and age where EVERYthing is disposable (shame on you Kevin Costner, you had a good wife . . .), he is obsessing over a frickin monitor. I am impressed.
supposed to be?
Ned
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Ned »

Ace,

I am sorry I offended you. I admire people who repairs things and hate the disposable way in which everything is thrown away nowadays without the slightest effort at repairing. My comments were tongue in cheek. The running joke in hollywood is that Costner had a great family, but decided to dump it all when he good famous enough to buy off young flesh.

It was a joke; I thought we were allowed to do that here. As far as your monitor, I hope it works out. If you ever decide to dive into stuff, I have an electrical engineer friend who can figure out the correct resistors and timeframe to discharge things safely. Not because of wealth, but because of time, safety and my own ignorance, I'm avoiding doing that stuff nowadays. A slow discharge with the proper resistor shunt is the only thing that is safe for you and the long term health of the capacitor.

Not all the posts on the boards are helpful, not all the jokes are funny, but I wasn't trying to slam you. I was obsessing over a power supply a while back, tried to repair it, but couldn't. Many schools, govt, and businesses replace monitors often, so getting used ones is very possible too.

Have a great Saturday,