Where the hell is everybody, gawdammit?

Meet the people you love to kill (and be killed by) in Descent!

Moderator: Do_Checkor

Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

Codger wrote:
CDN_Merlin wrote:UT 2004
GTR Racing
IL2 Stumovik
Flatout
Half Life 2
BF 1942
Thanks. I'll check 'em out although I'm kinda hooked on d3.
I'm waiting for you now.....bring bandaids.

Bettina
Codger
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Codger »

Top Gun wrote:

To tell you the truth, the only PC games I play on a regular basis are Descent and Freespace. That's it. I don't foresee that changing any time soon, either. I despise the entire groundpounder genre, and I wish that the gaming industry would get a clue and stop putting out these cloned-to-death FPS excuses.
Daaaaammn!! No disrespect to ole Merlin but right on there buddy.:) I'll second that emotion. There probably is a really fine groundpounder game out there. Great graphics, great weapons, etc. It's just that I cut my teeth on descent and I like to float :D , so to speak. And until descent becomes a real pain in the arse to find a game(like tonight, only two games) I'm stickin' wid it.
Codger
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Codger »

bet51987 wrote: I'm waiting for you now.....bring bandaids.

Bettina
Well, well, well if it aint Bettina, that little hell cat. Yeah, I'll play yuh anytime although I seem to get my arse kicked when I do. Yer fast :lol:
Clayman
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Clayman »

I have a much more difficult school and work load than this time last year, and I'm much more interested in music than D3 anyway. But I'm still not above some D3 every now and then.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Codger, don't get me wrong. Descent is still the #1 game of all time. Thing is, like I mentioned earlier, I'm tired of breaking sticks. And for me to play well and win, I have to play a bit hard which I break sticks.

I'm not that crazy for FPS game, I actually prefer RPG's or Racing.
Nirvana
DBB Harasser
DBB Harasser

Post by Nirvana »

iten wrote:I'll play any level that doesn't have the checksum bug.
I try to avoid the ones with the crap bug, personally :P
Codger
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Codger »

Nirvana wrote:
iten wrote:I'll play any level that doesn't have the checksum bug.
I try to avoid the ones with the crap bug, personally :P
What is this crap bug thing? Please explain.
psi
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by psi »

CDN_Merlin wrote:UT 2004
GTR Racing
IL2 Stumovik
Flatout
Half Life 2
BF 1942
IL2 is great, but in a totally different genre than d3. Its got real physics and is a much slower pace than d3. You really have to know how your plane flies to get setup for a strafing or bombing run in IL2. Also, I never invested in the hardware which tracks your head movements. You need that in IL2 to look around using your head.

I'm cryin' that d3 is dyin' - there is no other game qualitatively similar... :(
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Codger wrote:What is this crap bug thing? Please explain.
It's just a pun meaning badly designed or really boring levels, or whatever else is Nirvana's pet hate... I can sympathise though, and it's why I don't play D3 much even when I feel like it; the sight of the only populated servers being Abend, VVeins or Burning Indika turns me off.
psi wrote:I'm cryin' that d3 is dyin' - there is no other game qualitatively similar... :(
There's D2! :)
Codger
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Codger »

Sirius wrote:
Codger wrote:What is this crap bug thing? Please explain.
It's just a pun meaning badly designed or really boring levels, or whatever else is Nirvana's pet hate... I can sympathise though, and it's why I don't play D3 much even when I feel like it; the sight of the only populated servers being Abend, VVeins or Burning Indika turns me off.
psi wrote:I'm cryin' that d3 is dyin' - there is no other game qualitatively similar... :(
There's D2! :)
Thanks for the clarification. Now what is the "checksum" bug? I've seen that error message, if I correctly recall (hard to be sure with this short term mermory loss problem), during a game, I think. Asked the question and another pilot said it had to do with audio. My audio was fine, however. Can somebody explain this particular bug in case I got it wrong?

Also... I'd love to play d2 multi if there were any games. Can't believe how such a fine game just went--- POOF.
Codger
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Codger »

Clayman wrote:I have a much more difficult school and work load than this time last year, and I'm much more interested in music than D3 anyway. But I'm still not above some D3 every now and then.
Are you a musician, if so what instrument? I like to play with my keyboard. Or, :wink: do you enjoy listening to your collection of bootleg mp3s, like me ?:lol:
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Hey... don't give up so easily!

I, for one, came back to Descent after about a 3-year hiatus. Now that I have some decent hardware and a reliable connection, I'm starting to get back in the game even more than I used to. And even a co-worker of mine has started to take an interest, asking questions about D3.

Descent is on life support, yes, but it's not quite dead, and I feel that as long as a group of excellent pilots is still around... there's still hope.

And that's just D3.. I haven't yet set up D1X and D2X to play the "old-skool" players...

And on the issue of joysticks: My P-Pro is about 7 years old, and still working. Take away my 3-year hiatus, and a brief trigger problem which some WD-40 readily fixed, and that's a good 4 years' worth! I'm much more violent with my keyboard controls (movement) than my joy (orientation & aim, which are usually more finesse-based, the way I fly).
Codger
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Codger »

I haven't yet set up D1X and D2X to play the "old-skool" players...
Pard, I checked out screen shots of d2x and, frankly, I'm not impressed. D2 never looked good on the equipment I had until I got a Voodoo 2 card. Actually I had two of 'em "sli"ed (although I couldn't tell the diff' between one and two) and set up according to some whiz kid who had an in depth web site on the subject (can't remember his nick w/o doing a google, sadly, but he was brilliant). The graphics were absolutely AWESOME, comparable to anything today in the clarity department. GAWDaaamn I miss those halcyon days of Descent 2. Had some great players too, although I definitely meet some mighty powerful kick ass players in D3. Seems those Germans got some real talent, most the bad ass Yanks hung up their sticks,(with obvious exceptions. Occasionally run into some real talent like that youngun Bettina and some gents I can't recollect their names at the moment. But they're out there. :wink: I just want this great old game to keep on. Did a lookup on Interplay and found out they done gone and died. Daaamn. :(

Afternote: Can't believe they bleep out "ass". Ever heard the word jackass? Must have some prude sumbich from the FCC werkin this board.
TheCops
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TheCops »

codger,
a lot of people use fake names so they can have some peace and just play. if you use a well known name you will be keyed on.

i'm down with that mentallity online, but when the clowns pulled the alias game (no idea who you are and you are 15 feet in front of me) at the chicago lan i thought it was weak. not the end of the world, just weak.

who gives a ★■◆●? just roll with the punches until the end... the end... the end... the end... the end.

because, afterall online gaming players are most likely not gonna care wether you live or die let alone what server you are in.

you want to save descent? save it from trends of bull★■◆● levels. save it from people acting like they are in some high school clique. treat the game like it is artwork. treat it like it's chess.

i know i will be shotdown here... but these are the problems. i met some people who had the whole thing in check and some others who didn't at the chicago lan. that's just 1 experience, it could be different any other weekend of anytime for anyother sober person. ;-0

but please codger... if you really love the way the game feels, sounds (personal favorite), and/or makes your armpits sweat there is no need to give it up. the game is from 1999, that's a really good run considering how difficult the game is.

i hope you find happiness... because bitiching about will get you nowhere.
Codger
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Codger »

TheCops wrote:codger,
treat the game like it is artwork. treat it like it's chess.
if you really love the way the game feels, sounds (personal favorite), and/or makes your armpits sweat there is no need to give it up. the game is from 1999, that's a really good run considering how difficult the game is.
My Friend, the game is art and I've encountered chess players. Further, a shower is mandatory after a good un and I'll never give up 'till the champs and even the regular joes just fade away. :D :lol:

p.s. I kinda wish I could run into some of the famous foks I meet in this board in the mines. It'd be nice to know who's kikin' my patoot. I remember runnin' into Koolbear once. I had no desire to "key" him... just play.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Codger, I'm nowhere near the level of a Descent great, but I'd be happy to play against you anytime. I don't plan on playing any other game anytime soon. :)
Codger
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Codger »

Top Gun wrote:Codger, I'm nowhere near the level of a Descent great, but I'd be happy to play against you anytime. I don't plan on playing any other game anytime soon. :)
Thanks. That's the spirit. I'm just average also but I got attitude :wink:
Oh yeah, now I remember that Voodoo expert. "Dorsala" was his nick. Matt something was his real name. Some kinda programmer, even looked like one. He sure knew how to tweak the Voodoo. I still got those cards stuck in some AMD k2-350 something or other stuck in the closet.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

psi, Track IR Pro is awesome. It's a bit pricey but well worth it. I don't have it yet but will get this year. I use my mouse in my left hand to view inside or outside the plane. It's very simple to use.
Birdseye
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Birdseye »

I basically developed repetative stress injuries on my wrists/arm tendons because of playing so much descent for 6-7 years... I haven't played much at all in the past 2-3 years, but now that I have a full time job and I play some music gigs it isn't worth the damage to my arms at this point. I do play games occasionally though.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Codger wrote:Pard, I checked out screen shots of d2x and, frankly, I'm not impressed. D2 never looked good on the equipment I had until I got a Voodoo 2 card... The graphics were absolutely AWESOME, comparable to anything today in the clarity department. GAWDaaamn I miss those halcyon days of Descent 2.
Three things...

Firstly, people don't generally play Descent 2 for the looks. You can make it look vaguely nice, but it IS an old engine; the reason it gets played is for the mechanics.

Secondly, D2 3DFX wasn't all that much different from D2x really - and especially not D2x W32... the latter seems to have all the anti-aliasing and texture smoothing the 3DFX version did. And a few other things of course... it's much more stable for one.

Finally, um... D2 3DFX did have one graphical thing I wasn't happy with; someone seemed to have forgotten that cube light was there for a reason.
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Post by Iceman »

Liquid Fire wrote:I've never, in all my years of gaming, broken a single component of a joystick.

My secret?

I don't slam the thing hard enough to break a two inch steel tube.
I've never, in all my years of gaming, broken a single component of a joystick.

My secret?

I use keyboard/mouse :D

REAL MEN DON'T USE JOYSTICKS! :D
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Iceman wrote:REAL MEN DON'T USE JOYSTICKS! :D
Real pilots don't use mice ! :P
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

I am busy with work, school, and family but I am still around from time to time.
Codger
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Codger »

Sirius wrote:
Firstly, people don't generally play Descent 2 for the looks. You can make it look vaguely nice, but it IS an old engine; the reason it gets played is for the mechanics.

What is the "mechanics" thing to which you refer?
Codger
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Codger »

Birdseye wrote:I basically developed repetative stress injuries on my wrists/arm tendons because of playing so much descent for 6-7 years... I haven't played much at all in the past 2-3 years, but now that I have a full time job and I play some music gigs it isn't worth the damage to my arms at this point. I do play games occasionally though.
Oh man, do I know what you're talkin' about. One time my left arm swelled up I had to play right-handed for awhile. That sucked. Took an entire week to get some half-assed coordination. Just now I've developed tennis elbow in my right arm just from yanking the throttle lever back and forth (Cyborg gold) and beating on the button below the lever which I use for ab. That's painful. I can't play as much as I like or used to, which suits my wife just fine. She thinks I'm nuts and told me to play with my feet. Har, har. Such a comedian. :P
MDX
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by MDX »

I haven't been able to go online (and STILL can't) because of one reason or another. The most recent reason is I made the STUPID mistake of packing both my game and my joystick away.

Maybe after I move, and I have my stuff in my hands. ;)
Clayman
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Clayman »

Codger wrote:
Clayman wrote:I have a much more difficult school and work load than this time last year, and I'm much more interested in music than D3 anyway. But I'm still not above some D3 every now and then.
Are you a musician, if so what instrument? I like to play with my keyboard. Or, :wink: do you enjoy listening to your collection of bootleg mp3s, like me ?:lol:
Yep, right now mainly keyboards, but guitar was my main instrument for most of the time until the last few months. I also play bass, saxophone, vocals, some drums, and an assortment of minor ones like harmonica, recorder, etc. I have a ridiculous amount of CD's, MP3's, tapes, albums, et. al.
I've never, in all my years of gaming, broken a single component of a joystick.

My secret?

I use keyboard/mouse Very Happy

REAL MEN DON'T USE JOYSTICKS! Very Happy
Although my online longevity in D3 didn't compare to some others, I did play insane amounts when I was active, and never broke anything on my keyboard or stick. Some people probably just get frustrated too easily. ;)
Jesus Freak
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Jesus Freak »

I only play D3 on-line when there is a player worth playing or a level worth flying. Since the only games I get to play are in BI3 and Halcyon I don't play very often, especially since there is no one I get pleasure out of killing.

Since most of D3's stronger players are gone, I've switched to D1/D2 as an alternative. I'm probably the first ever D3 player to become a serious D1/D2 player. Thanks to Diedel's work with D2x, just about any windows machine can run D2 nicely. I've switched to a serial port joystick(sidewinder 3d pro), so I can play D1 just as well as D2 or D3. The p2p IPX of D1 and D2 is definitely hugely different than D3 or most other modern games, but it is still very playable, and fun for that matter. If they could play it on 14.4kbps modems, than cable sure ain't that bad :P

I do not play any other games than D3 besides UT2004, Doom 3, Diablo 2, Civilization 3, and Axis and Allies. Recently I've been sort of sucked into watching anime all the time, so I've diverted part of my gaming time to viewing time.

One thing I would like to do is request from Esa some underplayed levels which are just as good as the ones that are overplayed.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

I cut my teeth on D1/D2 JF. it's ten times better than D3 any day.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Ferno wrote:I cut my teeth on D1/D2 JF. it's ten times better than D3 any day.
If I remember, you weren't doing too bad during the Revival the other day. :) (Certainly a lot better than this D2 noob and mediocre D3'er was. :P)

I would have to disagree with your statement somewhat, though. D3 may have had a different feel from that of D1/2, but that doesn't mean that it's any worse. I'm personally biased toward D3, since that was the first of them that I played online and the only one I've put substantial time into, but I like all three games just about equally. My point is, I guess, is that it doesn't matter which of the three you like the best; just start playing them again. :P
Codger
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Codger »

Ferno wrote:I cut my teeth on D1/D2 JF. it's ten times better than D3 any day.
What's "JF"? And...(with genuine bewilderment and consternation) if D1/D2 are ten times better than D3 why the heck aint hardly nobody playing those fine old games? C'mon, I can't just jump on the net and join a D1/D2 game like the old days... like I can still do now with D3. :roll: You must be smokin' too much of that ganja schidt :D
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

Codger wrote:You must be smokin' too much of that ganja schidt :D
"That's the same way I feel! That's what I've been tryin' to tell everybody!!" -Chris Tucker, Rush Hour
Clayman
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Clayman »

As many fond memories of D3 as I have, I will never get over the nostalgia of D2. The single player bug is biting again, and I think I oughta try D2X yet again and see if I can get it to work this time.
Nirvana
DBB Harasser
DBB Harasser

Post by Nirvana »

Yeah Clayman, I had the most fun in the D2 days also.
Hostile
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Hostile »

When did Anthony resurface?
Pun
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Pun »

bout a month ago. when did you resurface? :P
Hostile
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Hostile »

I have been here the whole time :)..........
ReadyMan
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by ReadyMan »

I think most of us are just lurking here in the shadows... :)
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

So whats everybody using to connect to D2 games? I take it that Kali is still it, but what else?