mythbusters

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

mythbusters

Post by roid »

this show started in 2003, but it's only been on free to air TV here in OZ (SBS 7:30pm monday night for those playing at home) for a few months or so (1 episode per week), and oh boy have i watched every one? yes sir i have!
i just finished watching the one where they try to rip the back axle off a policecar by tying it to a tellephone pole, try to explosively decompress a passenger aeroplane, and shoot off bullets by using them as car-fuses.

this is why TV was invented people.
it is THE BEST TV SHOW EVER.

anyone else a fan?

(i did a google and found it was a discovery channel show, if that helps.)
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

Mythbusters is the bomb. 8)
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Yeah I watch it sometimes. I'm also a big fan of "How it's made" a CDN tv show on the makings of everyday stuff.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

The Mythbusters guys are freakin' awesome. :D
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

Yep, it's cool. What a job they have!
Beowulf
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Beowulf »

Indeed.

I'm also a fan of American Chopper simply because Paul Sr. and Mikey are hilarious.
Mr. Perfect
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Shows like Mythbusters are definelty the reason we have TV.

American Chopper on the other hand, I might watch more often if each episode didn't follow the same pattern. They pick a bike to build, people lag behind, Paul Sr. yells a bit, and the bike get's finished. Just show me the starting design and the finished product, and I can imagine the 45 minutes inbetween those two points in about ten seconds...
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Top Gun wrote:The Mythbusters guys are freakin' awesome. :D
[spoiler]Yeah, I bet Adam won't touch another golden arc ever again after watching last week's episode. :D[/spoiler]
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

Mr. Perfect wrote: American Chopper on the other hand, I might watch more often if each episode didn't follow the same pattern. They pick a bike to build, people lag behind, Paul Sr. yells a bit, and the bike get's finished. Just show me the starting design and the finished product, and I can imagine the 45 minutes inbetween those two points in about ten seconds...
At least its better than American Hot-rod, where we see a bunch of people getting paid to be incompetent and complain about their fellow workers. With American Chopper, you know you're watching people that know what their doing. That includes Mikey; he knows how to kill time with style.
llClutchll
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by llClutchll »

fliptw wrote:
At least its better than American Hot-rod, where we see a bunch of people getting paid to be incompetent and complain about their fellow workers. With American Chopper, you know you're watching people that know what their doing. That includes Mikey; he knows how to kill time with style.
AHR is 100% setup. All of the interns are plants, and all of the major drama is planned out. The Bluebear firing was because BB didn't like how he was being portrayed by the production. He already had another job set up, and they turned it into the fiasco it was for the camera. Same thing for intern firings and even the Charley job change.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

What's worse than any other show on there is that Great Biker Build-off, I think. They take a mildly entertaining one-time special and turn it into a full-fledged show. I swear, the Discovery Channel is turning into the Motorcycle Channel, or more generally the Shop Channel. Whatever happened to all of the actual science and tech-related shows? Oh, that's right, they put them on digital cable channels, like the Science Channel and Discovery Wings, that you'd have to pay an arm and a leg to get. I hate the whole "move to digital" phenomenon; it killed channels like the Disney Channel (classic cartoons of my childhood versus the "Disney Channel original" absolute bull**** they pump out now), and now the Discovery Channel is following the same pattern. I guess the dollar really does decide all.
Ympakt
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Ympakt »

Mythbusters: I want their job!!!

The rest of those hot-rod/American Flopper/build-offs can take a leap. There's like a dozen of them. Enough's enough!
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Ympakt wrote:The rest of those hot-rod/American Flopper/build-offs can take a leap. There's like a dozen of them. Enough's enough!
A-freakin'-men!

Atleast when Jamie and Adam fight, its actually a real fight between them.

Top Gun: Heh, if you've got satelite TV then they should be part of your package already. Those of you still on cable are screwed though.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

don't forget monster garage. that show kicks ass.
llClutchll
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by llClutchll »

Monster garage.... Ugh! That show actually makes me sick! Seeing what those hacks do to perfectly good classics :x

I've seen 3 shows, one with a bug that was turned into a swamp buggy, another where they hacked up a perfectly good '90 convertible Mustang (I was actually shouting at the screen!) And the last episode I watched, that little wannabe Jesse James goes out and buys a 71 El Camino SS which was in friggin mint condition, then proceeds to chop it up and wreck it on a figure 8 race!

That little ★■◆● should have just stuck to motorcycles.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

MD-2389 wrote:Atleast when Jamie and Adam fight, its actually a real fight between them.
indeed. that's one of the charms of the show, these 2 (very real) guys personalitys are so inherently different.
Adam being quite extroverted and fun-lovin', and Jamie being the introverted logical monotone. yet they both do good work worthy of respect, and they respect eachother's work and contributions too.

i love it how Adam gets so excited about stuff. he was literally jumping up and down with glee while watching Jamie do donuts with the remote control police car, or firing off cans from Jamie's awesome robotic soda-can-launcher tracked robot (he made for a soda advertisement). and his enthusiasm has been rubbing off on Jamie as the episodes have been rolling by, you can see how Jamie gets a cute kick outof Adam going excite-o-spaz. he prolly wouldn't be as animated if it wern't for Adam's presence prodding it outof him.

they both have me laughing. just at their dynamics.

i remember in one episode Adam must've got outof the wrong side of bed, and he was getting pissed at Jamie over some pressure tank they were buying for the "frozen-chicken launcher". and later Adam goes back to apologize and Jamie seems completely oblivious that any emotional outburst happened at all, lol.
these guys are a jungian field day.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

heheheh, wait till you see how they test the Cellphone/gas station myth. ;) Lets just say you get to see Adam VERY happy. :)
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

MD-2389 wrote:heheheh, wait till you see how they test the Cellphone/gas station myth. ;) Lets just say you get to see Adam VERY happy. :)

ive been telling people about that episode.....they are like "yeah whatever".

i especially loved the one where they tested wether a person could be flung from a 60' Boom "Sky Lifter".

that poor dummy got flung straight into the ground and a $60000 machine got destroyed!!
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

meh, "Baghdad Batteries" was better. ;)
BfDiDDy
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by BfDiDDy »

"Jamie want to see big boom"
BAAL
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by BAAL »

The Episode on on water torture was pretty interesting too....seeing the girl freak out was crazy.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

MD-2389 wrote:heheheh, wait till you see how they test the Cellphone/gas station myth. ;) Lets just say you get to see Adam VERY happy. :)
yeah seen that one, it was one of the very early ones.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Behold! In honor of Mythbusters, I have chosen a new avatar! Rejoice my people, rejoice! ;)
Vindicator
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by Vindicator »

Looks like Spidey after the Just for Men treatment.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Vindicator wrote:Looks like Spidey after the Just for Men treatment.
LMAO! You're right!
EternalSpark
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by EternalSpark »

Nobody has mentioned that hottie redhead assistant mythbuster chick?

For shame.
Mr. Perfect
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Mr. Perfect »

The episode where they blow up the cement mixer scores many points as well. The truck was there. Then it wasn't. Nuf said.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

hah nice MD
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Mr. Perfect wrote:The episode where they blow up the cement mixer scores many points as well. The truck was there. Then it wasn't. Nuf said.
Bah, the tree cannon was better. :D That sucker blew apart to splinters!
World War Woodi
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by World War Woodi »

I dont know man, I was mighty impressed with the cannon, I mean it was awesome, but the cement truck was just shocking.
I totally wasnt expecting it to just be completly obliterated. My mouth dropped as they replayed it over and over and I mean it was there, then BANG ! it was gone !
That was an incredible over the top example of power. Ya think ?

It's my favorite one fer sure.