Hot new game

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Codger
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Hot new game

Post by Codger »

I just discovered a dynamite new semi-flight sim game. It's called Wings of War. I thought that I'd never play anything but d1, 2, or 3 but I was wrong. Check it out at http://www.fileplanet.com/145785/140000 ... f-War-Demo

Also check this site out. http://www.polovski.com/WoW.htm

The graphics are damned good. Also you can set the plane up to behave like a sim or like arcade which is easier to fly. We need more people to get interested in this game. It's good. If you like it the full version game is only 19 bucks. I'll always play descent but I get tired of breaking sticks and my tennis elbow won't heal the hell up. Sigh :(
Nosferatu
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Nosferatu »

EEEEEK thats going to confuse some folks who use the acronym WOW to refer to a certain other game. :P

However I still consider D3 to mean Descent 3 and not Doom 3 :P
ReadyMan
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by ReadyMan »

I bought that game and havent done more than load it up ( I bought pirates along with it, and have been consumed by the carribean....)

I'll give it a try right now
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

I'll give that a try too. I'm a bit partial to WW1 flyers. Crimson Skys was a lot of fun. 1930's uptech is always cool. :)
Codger
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Wings of War

Post by Codger »

I don't mean to desecrate the honor of DBB but this is the only place I know where I can spread the word.

This game is hot!! There is a learning curve and the demo doesn't have instructions. You have to press each and every key to find out what does what. Same with the full version bit torrent. That just isn't exceptable. I like it so much that I purchased the real deal which comes with a 41 page manual, at least that is what I was told. It better or I'll ★■◆●. But for $19.00 it's worth it. I was wondering why it's so reasonably priced. It was written by a bunch of Czech geniuses, from what I gather. Good on them. I can't get over the visuals. Pay attention to the requirements. They're not outrageous by any means, which is good.

You run into some butt kickin' pros in multiplayer. And you will definitely crash a lot picking up very trickily placed powerups but, holy mackeral, this thing kicks.
ReadyMan
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by ReadyMan »

I bought it about 5 months back....it was released at $19.99 originally. I remember when it went gold and that was the price.

I tried online today, but didnt find any servers (yes I patched to 1.2).
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

Lock-On : Modern Air Combat

same price now at CompUSA 100,000x's the fun!!
Codger
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Codger »

ReadyMan wrote:I bought it about 5 months back....it was released at $19.99 originally. I remember when it went gold and that was the price.

I tried online today, but didnt find any servers (yes I patched to 1.2).
A lot of folks have two versions in two directories, patched version and unpatched version. People play online often times with the unpatched version as well as the patched. Not sure why but Polovski discusses how to set it up. A little involved. I just installed both versions and just renamed the exe in one to "WOWinternet". Just open one exe, check and see if there are any servers, if you see servers but "incompatible" close the program and open the other exe. The server will then be accessible. Unlike d3 the program opens quickly so this isn't too burdensome. If you go to http://www.simhq.com/simhq3/sims/boards ... orum;f=116
there is forum for WOW. Answers many questions.
Codger
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Codger »

BUBBALOU wrote:Lock-On : Modern Air Combat

same price now at CompUSA 100,000x's the fun!!
I tried it. Stunning graphics. Problem is you need a CRAY computer to run it half way decently. Very buggy. They released it too earlier. Wont run on 98se even though the box says it will. Do a google on the game and you'll find a lot of negatives. Sad because the graphics are simply breathtaking.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Hey Codger.. I can't seem to ROLL 360 degrees.. only about 45 to each side? Did I miss a setting somewhere? This was fun and reminds me of Crimson Skies with the mercury type rockets and all. I just need to be able to do a Split-S !!ARG! talk about frustrating.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

IL2 Sturmovik series best WW2 flight sim and you don't need a kick arse PC to run it.

Pacific Fighters is the latest installment and it covers the Pacific Theatre.
Codger
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Codger »

Duper wrote:Hey Codger.. I can't seem to ROLL 360 degrees.. only about 45 to each side? Did I miss a setting somewhere? This was fun and reminds me of Crimson Skies with the mercury type rockets and all. I just need to be able to do a Split-S !!ARG! talk about frustrating.
You have to go into controls, advanced and assign either a joy button or keyboard key to the advanced aerobatic manuvers available like a split s, roll, loop etc. Weird way to do such a manuver but go figure. Lol.
Codger
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Codger »

CDN_Merlin wrote:IL2 Sturmovik series best WW2 flight sim and you don't need a kick arse PC to run it.

Pacific Fighters is the latest installment and it covers the Pacific Theatre.
Il2 is sweet, no doubt. I have 13 sims onboard. One computer is strictly reserved for sims. I play with 'em all but I'm the master of none. Just not enuff time.

Ever heard of Falcon 4? It has a 600 page manual. I'm convinced that if you learned the manual you would be a qualified F16 pilot. But who the hell has that much time? I've run into airline pilots who use the Microsoft sims to practise flying the birds they're type rated in. How boring. If I'm gonna fly a straight and level mission for three hours I wanna get paid for it. Lol.

WOW is not a sim although programmers have written stuff to make the models more realistic. I like it, as I do the Descent series, because if you want some quick, dirty and easy action it offers it. The guys I run into beat me like I'm a red headed step child. Same class of pilots as in Descent. Hell, I still play Descent but even D3 has scarce online games.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Yeah I'm no hardcore Flight simmer either. I use easy mode cause I can't turn the baby without blackouts or redouts or stalling. But dogfighting is fun on easy mode. I'll be lanning IL2 in 2 weeks. I'll let you know how well it goes. :D

Yeah I heard of Flacon 4 but I prefer prop planes over jets.
Codger
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Codger »

CDN_Merlin wrote:Yeah I'm no hardcore Flight simmer either. I use easy mode cause I can't turn the baby without blackouts or redouts or stalling. But dogfighting is fun on easy mode. I'll be lanning IL2 in 2 weeks. I'll let you know how well it goes. :D

Yeah I heard of Flacon 4 but I prefer prop planes over jets.
Try "Mig Alley". The Korean War was the transition between props and jets and the last of the great dogfighting action. The F86 was a very beautiful but simple jet. No afterburner. No radar. And it was inferior to the Mig 15. The only reason American pilots got more kills is because the North Koreans weren't as well trained and balsy. Russian pilots were another story however. You can get some great dogfighting action and it's cheap on Ebay or Amazon.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

bleck.. I was afraid of what you said. I'll probably dump the game. That's just kinda silly imo, and it's way hard to actually dogfight. You're continually fighting the plane.

Try Crimson Skys Demo or buy it in a bargin bin.

If you want a fun and good flight sim, try World War 2 On-Line. HERE

It's a free but LARGE download. (200 meg about). It's free to play off line and you can try the various planes of WW2 pre 1945 (except the spit V) It's great fun and one of the best sims I've played. Much like IL2. It's fairly uncomplicated and you don't need a lot of extra controls. A stick with twist works great.

For screenshots and movies go Here
Codger
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Codger »

Duper wrote:bleck.. I was afraid of what you said. I'll probably dump the game. That's just kinda silly imo, and it's way hard to actually dogfight. You're continually fighting the plane.
Don't dump the game quite yet. It took awhile for me to discover this but you can easily get full aerobatic capabilities in this game simply from switching from arcade mode to classic mode. The aircraft than behaves just like a real airplane. Very similar to Crimson Skies. Much harder to score kills in classic mode than in arcade mode however. :wink:

Sad to say but I haven't played descent in several weeks because of this game :(