War of The Worlds Sneak Preview is TONIGHT

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

War of The Worlds Sneak Preview is TONIGHT

Post by WarAdvocat »

and guess who has tix ;)

From the previews, it could go either way, but I'm hoping it rocks. Has anyone else been looking forward to this?
Nosferatu
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Nosferatu »

Looks like it could be good.

Yet I dont hold out any hope for yet another unoriginal remake.

The movie studios writers should be fired in mass since they dont actually WRITE anything.
Bad@sskow
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Bad@sskow »

And Paramount wont let a midnight showing of War of the Worlds happen. :-/
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

I wonder if it will have more to do with the original than I Robot. I'm guessing probably not.
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

Spielberg, despite it being a remake, is going back to his roots IMO. All of his alien encounter type movies have been good movies. Guess I still have faith he can make a decent flick. Even some of his "flops" are still good watches at times.
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

The movie does look awesome but I'm going to wait a while before I see it.
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

Im going to pass this one because Hollywood as of late doesnt know how to make a decent movie, only horror and action movies with mind numbing plots and explosions to blow your eardrums out. This looks like the typical garbage that gets put out, and I hope it barely breaks the 200 million mark so that the return for this movie will stink (it took ~187 million to produce).
Liquid Fire
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Liquid Fire »

Top wop, I'd wait 'till I see it before condemning it. Most reviews I've seen have been glowing and it is a spielberg movie. That alone warrants giving it a chance.
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

What does Spielberg have anything to do with wether or not a movie is good? Thats silly.

Remember A.I.?
Liquid Fire
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Liquid Fire »

A.I. was crap, but 90% of his movies are at least decent.
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

Well, I'd say it's worth seeing, but it was NOT what I expected.

It was very much about a troubled family dealing with catastrophe, which, by the way, happened to be aliens. It could have easily been set in World War II instead, with VERY little re-writing. At the same time, it gave major homage to the original and past productions.

All in all, it was lacking in mindless action too...I'd have to say I preferred Batman Begins by a largish margin.
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

WarAdvocat wrote:All in all, it was lacking in mindless action too...
So thats what got Tom started... he didn't do much shooting the film, so he needs to let the steam off.
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

I have mixed feelings after seeing this movie. I thought it was good but it was just another run of the mill alien wipe out human movie. A great, original novel was taken and transformed into someone elses vision and story that clearly didn't have the magic of the book. It barely followed that of the radio broadcast or the novel. Just the generic parts remained in that there were aliens taking over the world that got wiped out at the end by a disease and that there were tri-pods. The whole introduction as to how the tri-pods showed up was also borked. There was so much more build-up to the tri-pods in the novel.

[spoiler]In this movie all you see are generic flashes of there is an emp storm on TV. Then Tom walks outside and sees a storm, after a short storm they look to see where the lightning bolts struck and a few seconds later... tripod. :\ I of course thought the tri-pods looked better and I liked the head but the atmosphere and the areas used for the original film and novel were much better. As B grade and cheesy as the first movie was. :P Sure, I liked the fact that they followed two main characters but they really needed to show what was happening in the rest of the world more and they needed to keep at least a simular intro as to how they arrived.

Another annoying thing about this film, these things were burried under the earth for millions of years according to the film. Yet, in the book I remember that they fell from the sky inside cylinders. If they had set this up, millions of years in advance, you would at least think that they would use the latest and greatest toys to fight with and that they would have died in the first place either by disease when planting them or at least knew about this deases if they were on the Earth and researching it long before man existed.

Last but not least, somehow the voice that presented the introduction at the beginning of the movie just didn't fit right somehow. I felt like they should have used the original voice that introduced the first movie version or at least somone who sounded spookier.[/spoiler]
Defender
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Defender »

[spoiler]I thought it was good until the ending.
The "Oh yes, we've been planning this attack for millions of years with what looked like meticulous planning, but we didn't bother to examine the drinking water for bacteria that could destroy us..."
Just a damned stupid ending to an otherwise good movie IMO.[/spoiler]
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Defender wrote:[spoiler]I thought it was good until the ending.
The "Oh yes, we've been planning this attack for millions of years with what looked like meticulous planning, but we didn't bother to examine the drinking water for bacteria that could destroy us..."
[spoiler] That was in the original H.G. Wells novel. What else did you expect? That was, however, the only thing I felt like could have been changed.[/spoiler]
Deathwinger
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Deathwinger »

The events between Half Life 1 and Half Life 2 would make a DAMN good invasion movie. This movie was just plain crap, I wonder what technology that guy had to let his camcorder work even after all electronics were fried.

I expected a lot more from you Spielberg, you had the ability to make this great, but you made it weak! I'm disappointed.
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

See, I told you guys that it will stink. :P
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Deathwinger wrote:The events between Half Life 1 and Half Life 2 would make a DAMN good invasion movie. This movie was just plain crap, I wonder what technology that guy had to let his camcorder work even after all electronics were fried.

I expected a lot more from you Spielberg, you had the ability to make this great, but you made it weak! I'm disappointed.
LOL, I see I wasn't the only one wondering about the camcorder. I thought I just missed something that was said or something. :P

Actually I never really got into Half Life. But the tri-pods were better in HL2 than in this movie IMO.

I would actually like to see a movie made of Dean Koontz's novel The Taking. Now that is a badass novel. :)
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

The original book was pretty good... back when I read it (I was quite young) the way the dudes died seemed to be quite a plot twist. I do seem to remember that the dudes came from the sky, that they have these big walker sort of weapons, and that their primary weapons where some sort of heat- based thing. I guess it was intended to be the "master plan the missed something." If, in the movie, they made the dudes come out of the ground, then the idea would indeed be more difficult to believe.
Defender
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Defender »

mob-messenger wrote:
Defender wrote:[spoiler]I thought it was good until the ending.
[spoiler] That was in the original H.G. Wells novel. What else did you expect? That was, however, the only thing I felt like could have been changed.[/spoiler]
I know.
Doesn't make it any less corny.
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Never said it wasn't corney. I said I would have changed that part of the story. :)