Lil help? running d3

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

mikeee
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Lil help? running d3

Post by mikeee »

Hiya, a trip down memory lane the other day had me wanting to play descent again, sadly I had no gameport for my sidewinder :(

One dodgy old sound card purchase later, I find myself with a working sidewinder, but alas no working descent 3!

I am running an AMD 3500+, with an ati x800xtPE, I can run the game in either D3d or opengl, but after the launcher it loads for a second, and gives the ding sound of an error message (though, I can't see the error message), and does no more.

When I was in 32 bit color mode, it did tell me to push it back to 16 bit, which got me to the above problem.

appreciate any help - Mike.
Canuck
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Canuck »

Have you patched your card's drivers yet?
I had some 800's like yours when they first came out, crater to 4 bit colour when in windowed modes.
(Shades of Granite Bay)

A visit to ATI's site and a patch later solved the issue.

Hope it helps.
El Ka Bong
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by El Ka Bong »

Wow it sounds like you have honkin' powerful machine to run D3 !...

...just my 2 bits of opinion..All my ATI escapades have been a frustration... I only buy Nvidia now... I just returned an ATI9250 for being suce a pain to install. My new GF5200 was plug and play, and avoided these same kind of screen res' issues...