PCMCIA Sound Card?

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Deathwinger
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

PCMCIA Sound Card?

Post by Deathwinger »

Hey guys, I recently bought a new laptop, however, it comes with an integrated RealTek AC97 audio card. Due to this it seems in some games that everthing stops for a few seconds as soon as a new sound or such is being played and is very disorienting.

I was looking at getting a PCMCIA sound card but before I do, I was just wondering if anyone had any solutions for my integrated card?

How much the PCMCIA card (Creative Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS Notebook PCCard Sound Card is what i'm looking at) would help?

and if an external sound card is the best way to go, concerning its a laptop? Basically a list of PROS and CONS in your opinions.

Thanks in advance :)
Deathwinger
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Deathwinger »

help....please? :(
Mikael
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Mikael »

I have the exact same problem with my AC97 equipped laptop. HL2 works extremely bad (worst of all my games) and most of the others have that nasty little stutter (the picture stutters, not the sound) just before a sound effect is about to be played.

A PCMCIA Audigy will rid this problem. I have thought about it myself, but I don't think I game enough to warrant the expense. It is fairly expensive...
Deathwinger
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Deathwinger »

I have found that bringing down the hardware level from full to standard in the DXDIAG settings helps a bit. I discovered that little tweak on my own, anyone have any others they can think about?