Architecture / Home Remodeling Software

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Architecture / Home Remodeling Software

Post by Iceman »

I am looking to find a good software package that will let me visualize some possible additions onto a home. I am willing to pay up to $500 if need be for this. Does anyone have any experience based recommendations for such a software package?

Thanks in advance,
Ice out...
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

Hey Iceman! Conveniently, I have JUST finished building my new home in SketchUp Version 5.0

It is a fantastic massing/modelling 3D tool, but it is NOT CAD. It will export in .DWG (CAD) format, and has tourguide features, plus exports movies and screengrabs also.

It is easy to learn, and very powerful. The trial gives you 480 free minutes of use - and the full purchase is $495.00 (exactly).

There are online tutorials, which show you the basics, and you'll be producing meaningful work inside an hour.

My hot tips for you: make sure you create the old portion of the house on a different layer to the new portion. Keep the rooves on another layer. Use Hardware acceleration, Enable 6XAA and 16X Aniso, and force those settings in your OpenGL configuration, in Video Properties of your box.

Enjoy. :)
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
Topher
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Topher »

Be a man, use POV-Ray
dissent
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by dissent »

LOL @ topher.

C'mon Ice. Just think of the surface texturing you could do!! :P
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Post by Iceman »

Thanks Mobius, I have dloaded the demo and I am experimenting with it. It looks pretty good so far. I really like the ability to sketch and extrude walls and stuff.
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Post by Iceman »

Dang Mobius, that Sketchup is a killer package. I am having excellent success with it so far. I am going through the tutorials as I get time and I am also working on a scratch version of the home modification. I Took a snapshot of the house from above using Google Earth and imported it, drew some rectangles on the different parts of the house, extruded them up, and started putting on the roofing/doors/windows and it is looking fairly good.

Some pictures ...

Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

You are doing great man! I told you it was easy. :)

I understand many architects use it to create massing models with clients: i.e. right there in the room, for modifications etc. Apparently it is easier than using CAD for client meetings.

I have a bug though: when I use the \"select\" tool, (but only when I drag it) the render window goes mental, skewing the picture at 45 degrees. I re-install did not help.

Maybe it's time for the latest CATS.