You are important ...

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

You are important ...

Post by KoolBear »

A Mouse looked through the crack in the wall to see the farmer and his wife opening a package.

\"What food might this contain?\" He was devastated to discover it was a mousetrap.

Retreating to the farmyard, the mouse proclaimed the warning.\"There is a mousetrap in the house!; there is a mousetrap in the house!\"

The chicken clucked and scratched, raised her head and said, \"Mr. Mouse, I can tell this is a grave concern to you, but it is of no consequence to me. I cannot be bothered by it.\"

The mouse turned to the pig and told him, \"There is a mousetrap in the house\".
The pig sympathized but said, \"I am so very sorry Mr.. Mouse, But there is nothing I can do about it but pray. Be assured that you are in my prayers.\"

The mouse turned to the cow. She said, \"Wow, Mr.. Mouse. I'm sorry for you. But it's no skin off my nose.\" So the mouse returned to the house, head down and dejected, to face the
farmer's mousetrap alone.

That very night a sound was heard throughout the house like the sound of a mousetrap catching its prey.

The farmer's wife rushed to see what was caught. In the darkness she did not see that it was a venomous snake whose tail the trap had caught.

The snake bit the farmer's wife. The farmer rushed her to the hospital and she returned home with a fever.

Now everyone knows you treat a fever with fresh chicken soup, so the farmer took his hatchet to the farmyard for the soup's main ingredient.

But his wife's sickness continued, so friends and neighbors came to sit with her around the clock. To feed them, the farmer butchered the pig.

The farmer's wife did not get well. She died; And so many people came for her funeral the farmer had the cow slaughtered to provide enough meat for all of them.

So next time you hear that someone is facing a problem and think that it doesn't concern you, remember that when one of us is threatened, we are all at risk.

In the book of Genesis, Cain said about Abel his brother to our God:
\"Am I my brother's keeper?\".

We are all involved in this journey called life. We must keep an eye out for one another and be willing to make that extra effort to encourage one another.

KB
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

Yes, you are important!

This despite, rather than because of, religious claptrap coupled with silly stories.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

the moral of this story to me is \"time and unforseen occurence befall us all\".

there were too many factors involved here. in the end it was all the SNAKES fault, and that snake could have bitten the farmer's wife at any time - mousetrap or not.

so perhaps the moral was even something like: \"kill all the snakes around your area before they have a chance to bite your wife\".
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re:

Post by Will Robinson »

roid wrote:...there were too many factors involved here. in the end it was all the SNAKES fault, and that snake could have bitten the farmer's wife at any time - mousetrap or not. so perhaps the moral was even something like: "kill all the snakes around your area before they have a chance to bite your wife".
Yea! Now you're starting to sound like a Texan in the Whitehouse! Let's start with those poisonous islamo-fascist reptiles and then go from there! ;)
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

Mobius wrote:Yes, you are important!
This despite, rather than because of, religious claptrap coupled with silly stories.
Remember Mobius, you are Unique. Just like everyone else. :)
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

From a local point of view you are important. From a historical point of view, you are likely nothing but a fly in the radiator grill.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

And now that snake will never know how many licks it takes to get to the center of a tootsie pop. :(
"One spelling mistake can destroy your life. A Husband sent this to his wife : "I'm having a wonderful time. Wish you were her." - @RobinWilliams
SirWinner
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by SirWinner »

Mobius,

This just drives home the point that you take people looking at the SAME thing and everyone sees something different based on their background and personal biases.

If you choose to do so you could just let the matter go instead of trying to turn it into a discussion of \"Religion\" or the lack thereof.

What I got out of the story are these things:

- \"Ignorance is NOT bliss!\"

- \"Everything is important no matter how insignificant it may seem.\"

- \"The little guy does matter.\"

Enjoy!

8)
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by roid »

Will Robinson wrote:
roid wrote:...there were too many factors involved here. in the end it was all the SNAKES fault, and that snake could have bitten the farmer's wife at any time - mousetrap or not. so perhaps the moral was even something like: "kill all the snakes around your area before they have a chance to bite your wife".
Yea! Now you're starting to sound like a Texan in the Whitehouse! Let's start with those poisonous islamo-fascist reptiles and then go from there! ;)
heh, nah my point was that it was a dumb story.
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

My thought was:
Need to get a big sticky trap, those will catch snakes AND mice. :)
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

MD-2389 wrote:And now that snake will never know how many licks it takes to get to the center of a tootsie pop. :(
Think of the poor tootsie pop, it never got licked!

Oh man not that is a terrible thought indeed!

FOUL! the Tootsie pop has been wronged, the real moral to this story then would be Eat your Tootsie Pop first!
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

9 hours more...
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

Maybe I should merge this into the special relativity thread...
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by Bet51987 »

fliptw wrote:Maybe I should merge this into the special relativity thread...
Why?

7 more hours...
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

7 hours more until what?
Repo Man
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Repo Man »

Whew! For a second there...I thought the title of this thread was, \"You are impotent!\" :wink:

5 1/2 hours...until what, I know not...
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Re:

Post by Diedel »

Mobius wrote:Yes, you are important!

You are so nice. If you had a clue about where the concept of an individual's importance stems, and how atheistic thought systems rate it, you'd know that religion is exactly the root of it, and that in atheistic systems, the individual in the last consequence has no value. The Nazi ideology is a nice example of this, as it is the extreme of a materialistic thought system.

You and your stupid, cheap, sociopathic trolling against a harmless story, religious or not. I wonder what kind of goodnight stories you tell your children - if you have some. :P
Repo Man
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Repo Man »

Diedel wrote:You and your stupid, cheap, sociopathic trolling against a harmless story, religious or not. I wonder what kind of goodnight stories you tell your children - if you have some. :P
For pete's sake, stop encouraging Mobi! :D
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Re:

Post by KoolBear »

Repo Man wrote:Whew! For a second there...I thought the title of this thread was, "You are impotent!" :wink:
...quote]

roflmao
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Re:

Post by Suncho »

Diedel wrote:You are so nice. If you had a clue about where the concept of an individual's importance stems, and how atheistic thought systems rate it, you'd know that religion is exactly the root of it, and that in atheistic systems, the individual in the last consequence has no value. The Nazi ideology is a nice example of this, as it is the extreme of a materialistic thought system.
Hey now. That's an unfair generalization. Most atheists I know value human importance... perhaps moreso than religious followers. I believe in the ingenuity of humans. I believe in the importance of humans and not in some mythical creature that floats above us in the heavens. Not all atheists are Nazis. Not all sense of individual importance stems from religion. I might even go so far as to argue the opposite... that Naziism was a form of Religion.
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

Diedel wrote:If you had a clue about where the concept of an individual's importance stems, and how atheistic thought systems rate it
While I also feel that this is the logical conclusion of Atheism, it's not fair to judge them all by that. Most Athiest believe in ethics (logically or not) and support the value of individual humans.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

Bett have you set up a bomb timer underneath Mobi?

T minus 3 hours...
beep... beep.... beep
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by Bet51987 »

roid wrote:Bett have you set up a bomb timer underneath Mobi?

T minus 3 hours...
beep... beep.... beep
No....hahaha....but 2 hours left. Then with it comes a boy friend problem.
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

One hour left...but I'm going to bed. I won't be on till 8pm tommorrow night. Cya...

Hint: The Olsen Twins...C to L. :)

Bettina
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

So, Is Bettina having a Birthday? The big 18?
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by Bet51987 »

Kilarin wrote:So, Is Bettina having a Birthday? The big 18?
You win Kilarin... The olsen twins C to L... "Countdown to Legality." Yes I turned 18 today, skipped school, and spent the day with dad going to the science museum, a movie, and dinner. :)

Years ago, when I was a freshman, I was always being hit on by senior boys and I always politely turned them down. First, because I was a freshman, and second I wasn't dating. My dad went ballistic a few times when they called my house and he found out they were seniors.

I have been seeing a choir boy for six months now, (sorry Ingus) but there is a reverse problem. He is younger than me by a year and a half. I am a Senior and he is a sophomore. So far, dad hasn't mentioned it, but its on my mind a lot. Although I'm still "pure" I'm an adult dating a minor now. :(

Bettina
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

Well, Happy Birthday! I hope the day was great!

As for the boyfriend. If you are keeping the physical side of the relationship low key (and congratulations on that as well, good choice in my very biased opinion), then it shouldn't be a major problem. 16 to 18 is an akward gap, but he'll be 17 soon, and 17 to 18 should be much less uncomfortable. When your 42 and he's 40, no one will care at all. :)
dissent
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Re:

Post by dissent »

Krom wrote:From a local point of view you are important. From a historical point of view, you are likely nothing but a fly in the radiator grill.
As a genealogist, I disagree. You can never quite tell what things will be "of import" 10 or 15 or 20 generations down the road based on decisions you make locally today. Your "historical point of view " is equivalent to Carl Sagan's "billions and billions" argument, that we are not important because we're only this small planet in the vastness of the universe. I do not find this argument from incredulity compelling.
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

Happy late birthday bett.

I agree with dissent, if all of the vast universe is so much larger yet does not have a conscience then those with the conscience already appear to have an upper hand on who is more important.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Re:

Post by Lothar »

Bet51987 wrote:I'm an adult dating a minor now.
I was 19 when Drakona was 17. I was an adult engaged to a minor. I don't think anybody ever cared, though my brother once joked about an elaborate FBI sting to try to catch me crossing state lines with a minor.

In most states, it's legal for someone over 18 to have a physical relationship with someone under 18 as long as they're within 2 years of each other. So, basically, when you're under 18, your upper age limit for various physical interactions is someone 2 years older than you and your lower age limit is 2 years younger, but once you turn 18 there's no more upper age limit. If you're not doing anything sexual, there are no age limits whatsoever. You can "date" a five year old if you want to as long as you're not doing anything that could be considered abusive.

Oh, and happy birthday.
dissent
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by dissent »

Yeah, hbd Bett. So is being an adult all you thought it was cracked up to be?? :P
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by Bet51987 »

dissent wrote:Yeah, hbd Bett. So is being an adult all you thought it was cracked up to be?? :P
I don't notice anything different. But I can vote, I have my own credit card now, :) and I can be a juror and hope my first case is a pedophile to show how important I am.

Bettina
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

heh me too.
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

You have your own credit card now? Well, welcome to Indentured Servitude!
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

Bettina wrote:I can be a juror and hope my first case is a pedophile to show how important I am.
Be careful what you wish for. I used to think exactly the same thing, it would be GREAT to get on one of those cases and have the power to settle things. Then a friend of mine got on a pedophile/murder case. He Spent a lot of courtroom time looking at slides of the crime scene. They distributed barf bags to all the jurers, and every single one of them needed them. They also probably could have used a good session or so on a psychiatrists couch afterwards. He's GLAD that he was able to deal out a small measure of justice, but just talking about the experiance still disturbs him.

I'm still willing to serve, but a little less enthusiastic about it.
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by Bet51987 »

Kilarin wrote:
Bettina wrote:I can be a juror and hope my first case is a pedophile to show how important I am.
Be careful what you wish for. I used to think exactly the same thing, it would be GREAT to get on one of those cases and have the power to settle things. Then a friend of mine got on a pedophile/murder case. He Spent a lot of courtroom time looking at slides of the crime scene. They distributed barf bags to all the jurers, and every single one of them needed them. They also probably could have used a good session or so on a psychiatrists couch afterwards. He's GLAD that he was able to deal out a small measure of justice, but just talking about the experiance still disturbs him.

I'm still willing to serve, but a little less enthusiastic about it.
I forgot about that. That would kill me to view those photographs. I hope I never get to see them. :(

Bettina
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

<--- 40 years old and never called for jury duty.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by roid »

Bet51987 wrote:I'm an adult dating a minor now. :(
Bet51987 wrote:I can be a juror and hope my first case is a pedophile to show how important I am.
:lol:
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

Arg. I got my first summons for the 1st of March. I'm trying to get it postponed. (I just started a new job... it's quite inconvinient to say the least.) Once you start working full time being a juror is just a pain.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Re:

Post by Lothar »

roid wrote:
Bet51987 wrote:I'm an adult dating a minor now. :(
Bet51987 wrote:I can be a juror and hope my first case is a pedophile to show how important I am.
:lol:
hilarious...