Minor age games

Meet the people you love to kill (and be killed by) in Descent!

Moderator: Do_Checkor

KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Minor age games

Post by KoolBear »

My son is 7 and I met another dad last night with a son that is 6 that is playing Descent too.

I was thinking it would be nice to find other second/third generation players and maybe setup a time/server for them to be able to play against each other WITHOUT the older people ruining the game for them.

Anybody else out there in the same situation?
dundun
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by dundun »

kinda, got a 5 year old daughter. she tried a couple of times under my nick. she now claims shes to young to play.
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

Just last night my daughter also 5 ask if I or Michael could teach her to play :P I guess we look like we are having fun :\"P
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

I think this is a great idea! :)

Just a thought, but if you want help teaching them, I'm available. I won't shoot them, but they can shoot me and I can show them a few tricks.... In any event....this is great.

Bettina
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

My 6 year old loves descent, (He's on level 2 of the single player game) Let me know if/when you try to have a get-together.
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

WillyP emailed me about his son X-Ray and mentioned playing today Sunday, Feb 12 no time as of yet though.

Kilarin did you have a preference?

Michael (my son) flies as Wheeler or Michael.
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

My kids at grandma's today, I'm not certain exactly when he'll be back this evening, so sometime after, say 5pm central would have the best chance of him being able to join.

[edit]Oh, and don't hesitate to go on without us if that is the most convienant time for everyone else. Ain't no way to plan these things were everyone can attend.[/edit]
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

WillyP's son (XRay) and Michael will be playing at 1pm cst today in Stadium
VON#7 has Stadium running now 66.199.187.59:3094

Kilarin, Michael should be available after 5pm just let me know! What is his pilot name?

Actually it would be better to host the game off the public trackers maybe that way peeps can't just join

Mike
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

You just gave the ip away, you smart doof :P
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

lol, I am betting that people will honor a kids game
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

oh my, Beh you know that means that we will need to stay around to run off those that join that are to good :P
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

The kids had a blast, the only person that wouldn't let the kids play by themselves was a pilot that used RedBone as a nickname. To the point that a 6 and 7 year old had to leave the game and find another. :(
dundun
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by dundun »

I was in that game late I think, but enjoyd being target for the kids, where 2 of them left.
Got my daugther to try Descent3 singleplayer today.
She wouldnt leave the computer for 4 hours, mostly flying in circles, but she liked it. she turns 5 in april. only got her two weekends a month, but will be looking for more games here, maybe I can get here to join a game.

Is it an idea to set up a list of kid players?
WillyP
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by WillyP »

Thanks dundun, I think that was great of you! X ray and Dr.Wakeman had a great time.

Things got a little confusing at the end of that first game. Why anyone would be told that its 6 & 7 yo, and not either help, as dundun did, or leave, is beyond me. There were plenty of other games up. But what really baffeld me was Gordeon, who said he wouldn't shoot, then blasted away.

A list of kids might work, set them up according to skill level, 'course if we did that I'd be playin with 5 yolds... (and still gettin my butt kicked hehehe...)
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

dundun, Michael knew what you were doing man he loved it too, he said dad \"dundun was so cool he let me use him for target practice!\"

Thanks dundun.

Somehow I think it would great to set something up for our kids, but we need to make sure that it's private and even the server needs to be OFF the beaten path, next week the DBB should have a few servers running. One of them we'll establish just for KIDS! Maybe also a hidden forum for parents of minors that play descent where we can discuss games and the kids could leave and send messages too.

I would be willing to make such forum here, it would be by invitation only though.

Thoughts....
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

Sounds like fun! My boy was dissapointed that he missed the kids game, but had fun getting shot up by a few other players (who were quite patient with him)

Let me know if you get the kids server set up, My 6 year old would love to give it a try with similiarly aged kids.

Oh, and thanks for doing this Koolbear, it's a GREAT idea!
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

Any chance someone can run their own server as a kids-only (invite) server?
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

DwnUndr has setup a kid only server, it is public but at least it's there.

This week we should have several DescentBB.net servers setup.

I will make sure one isn't listed on the trackers and will be an invite only server.
WillyP
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by WillyP »

This is great, I'm excited, so is X-Ray!
Money!
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Money! »

I'd love to help be targets for kids. There could never be enough D3'ers. Plus I'm rusty :)
Birdseye wrote:It's never over
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

Money I will be sure to let you know we have a game going on now in a new level WillyP cfreateed for the kids.
Money!
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Money! »

Sweet, PM me if you got any planned games and I'll do my best to show.
Birdseye wrote:It's never over
Kiran
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Kiran »

I'm currently on keyboards and mouse for D3, which means I'm at my worst :P I would love to come in and help the kids out by being target pratice. I'm currently in college right now so my best time would probably be either in the evenings eastern time or the weekends. Just let me know the time and I'll see if I can join! :D
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

This great, I'll see if I can find a scheduling application so people can establish what times they would be available for training/helping kids and then parents could sign the kids up or \"select scheduled times for training sessions\"

I think many people would be willing to do the same.

Anyone have any ideas on a scheduler?
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Dakatsu »

Okay, my introduction post:
Hi, I am Dakatsu. I was just wandering around Descent 3 sites when I found this, and I thought: sweet...
Anyway, the reason my introduction post is in this topic:
I am a 13 year old pilot, and I have been playing since I was 7. It is my all time favorite game, and I could see if I could convince people at my school to play it. It may be illegal, but I could see if I can make copies & give them to a few people, see how they like the game, and recuit more to D3.

I am an above average pilot, so I could train them with a few other veteran pilots sometime.
WillyP
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by WillyP »

Dak, you can give them a copy of Descent 3, demo 2 legaly. Get it at P.D. It's a complete level 1 and if they like it, it's cheap enough to buy... I got duel jewel version for 6 bucks, including S&H.

It would be great to have people in but remember these are 6 and 7 year old kids.

I'm going to make a list, anyone who wants in, send me an email with your name, age, pilot name, etc...

Anyone who does not play nice with the kids will be off the list. As I update the level periodicly, if you are off the list you will not get the new version and will not be able to join. This is for the kids to enjoy descent, and learn, without getting hammered all the time. So, if you do join, be prepared to not really play for yourself, but do have fun with the kids.

...willyP...
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

How does one play without trying?
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

Really what the kids need are people that can be a moving target.

They don't need to worry about incomming shots just yet although I think it's a good idea that they get shot once and a while, keeps their adreneline flowing :P

Michael still talks about how cool \"dundun\" was... Matter of fact since Michael's experience with dundun he applies when he plays the other \"YounGun's\"

It can get pretty boring, the boy's all seem to be able to read sdo far so that helps although response times (typed) can be timely :)

But the right people can get in and teach them some basic skills for about 8 minutes. After that they've lost focus :P

I can't tell you how much fun Michael has been having.

WillyP's level is really nice, looks like I need to get him to make us a DBB Hall with several of the forums (rooms) off to either side :P

KB
WillyP
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by WillyP »

D3j: If you are refering to the last part of my post... You can play follow the leader with them, shoot only flares,(depending on their skill level... Koolbear's son is quite good). Watch the scores and let the younger, less skilled ones get points without making it too obvious. This can be fun and chalenging of it's own. If you are not a parent, it might be a little hard to understand. Like, if you go to a bday party for a 6 y.o. you don't expect to torch a bone and play blackjack or strip poker, do you? Probly gonna play pin the tail, musical chairs or something like that.

...willyP...

Sorry mike, You posted while I was typing... What's your Idea about a level?
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

DwnUndr made a level for the RIP where you could see into the level, I think it was the gaunlet series, I'll approch him and get the specifics.

ANd I'll move this to email :)
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Dakatsu »

Okay, I can give them a link to that, thanks.

P.S: What is the difference between descentbb.net & descentbb.com, I was sitting for a hour trying to figure out why I couldn't log in, until I figured the .com/.net thing!
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

Dakatsu wrote:What is the difference between descentbb.net & descentbb.com, I was sitting for a hour trying to figure out why I couldn't log in, until I figured the .com/.net thing!
Don't Ask!!!! :)
WillyP
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by WillyP »

Not hard to make a level that can be seen into. My original plan was to make a level that the see into feature could only be accsesed thru a combination lock. But I don't think it is neccesary, if a level is only availible by email. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure... :wink:
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by Bet51987 »

Dakatsu wrote:Okay, I can give them a link to that, thanks.

P.S: What is the difference between descentbb.net & descentbb.com, I was sitting for a hour trying to figure out why I couldn't log in, until I figured the .com/.net thing!
PM me and I will tell you... :wink:

Bettina
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Behemoth »

Dakatsu wrote:Okay, I can give them a link to that, thanks.

.net is where alot of the old spam is and all the people who havent been around in ages float around here from month to month, .com is basically where most of the active people still are, without all the thread nazism.
FunkyStickman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by FunkyStickman »

Back on topic...

I have an 8-year-old and a 4-year-old that LOVE to play Descent. Andy(4) calls D1 \"Space Level One\" and the lasers are \"Poom-pooms\". They can actually fly with the Killstick(tm) fairly well, though Andy doesn't quite grab the concept of where he's going, he has actually made it through the first levels of D1 and D2. He's so fun to watch!
WillyP
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by WillyP »

Nice... My boys have made it through D1 on an old P200 computer, with a 2axis, 2 button wingman joystick thats older than they are... They are 6 and 8 years old. I just got a null modem cable today so they can play head to head. Wish I had another wingman, though... :lol:
Stryker
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Stryker »

I'm willing to provide a rapidly-moving target if you're interested--I need to work some more on my dodging skills. ;)

When's the next date/time?
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

I'll provide myself as a target also. I can just shoot way off target so it doens't even come close to them also.

Name the time/day and I'll try to be there.
WillyP
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by WillyP »

Anyone up for a game this weekend?