Lesbian Crowned Homecoming King at Md. College

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Post by CUDA »

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

FREDERICK, Md. — Hood College is reviewing its homecoming rules after a lesbian was crowned king, a college official said.

Jennifer Jones, the 21-year-old senior who beat out three men for the honor, said the crowning was a positive step for the private liberal arts college.

\"It is cool that Hood allows people to be themselves,\" Jones told The Frederick News-Post. \"If people didn't want me to be king, they wouldn't have nominated me and voted for me.\"

Jones, of Newark, Del., received 64 of 169 votes cast for king last month.

More than two weeks after Jones was crowned, criticism and praise were still rippling through the 2,100-student campus in western Maryland.

\"She is not a man,\" said Singleton Newman, a 22-year-old senior who was nominated for queen. \"It is a gender issue, and she is a woman.\"

Santo Provenzano, 21, who competed for king, said Jones' selection made the event seem like a joke. \"It discourages guys from wanting to take part in the future,\" he said.

(Story continues below)

ADVERTISEMENTS
Advertise Here

Donald Miller, Hood's student activities director, said all homecoming events will be reviewed and possibly changed. \"We will look at what students want Hood's homecoming to be,\" he said.

It was only the second annual homecoming for the school. Men started attending Hood in 1971 but the school didn't become fully coeducational until 2003 when men were permitted to live on campus for the first time.

Jones tried to run for homecoming prince last year, but a student committee wouldn't let her on the ballot even though she had gathered the required number of signatures on nominating petitions.

Miller said a rule change this year abolished the petitions and required that candidates be nominated by student ballots.
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” 

― Theodore Roosevelt
Unix
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Unix »

I'm fine with it as long as she wears the traditional garmets of Homecoming King. And then of course she has to kiss the queen.
-Unix
My Music
Zuruck
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Zuruck »

Won't someone please think of the kids???
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

Maybe she was the manliest student there :lol:
Zuruck
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Zuruck »

Is it just me, or is the fact that adults in college are still taking part in homecoming king and queen ceremonies just a little more gay? With all the crap going on in this world, how in does this crap make headlines?
Cuda68
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Cuda68 »

Our wonderful moral system.
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

The whole damned thing is just a popularity contest anyway. this incident further reduces everything to joke status.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re: Lesbian Crowned Homecoming King at Md. College

Post by Duper »

CUDA wrote:Image
x2
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

Santo Provenzano, 21, who competed for king, said Jones' selection made the event seem like a joke. \"It discourages guys from wanting to take part in the future,\" he said.
What's this guy's major malfunction?
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

his \"problem\" is discouragement. Females are queens and males are Kings. Those are the roles. Our present culture seems to think that roles are anitquated and \"hindering\", especially where homosexual agenda is concerned.

To be part of a fiasco like that and have to deal with \"her\" and, I'm sure, the chip on her shoulder along with a lot more media attention than was due, would definately fun our of participating in an event like that.
Zuruck
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Zuruck »

The joke is that college aged people still think this stuff is a big deal. So what...the guys are just offended that a girl beat them...haha.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

If you guys visited Hood College you'd understand why homecoming is still an issue. It's worse than high school.

I have a cousin at Hood who is being paid to go there. Literally, her financial package works out such that she has a surplus of funds every year. She lives pretty much around the corner (a relative term here in Fredneck) so it's not like she's spending a fortune in gas to get there. She's not dumb, either -- I think the reason she has such a sweet aid package is because her scores help the school's numbers. But it pains me to see her pocketing cash simply by going to a school like Hood.

Point is, Frederick isn't the brightest city in the country, and Hood College shows it.