Flight 93 the movie

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Zuruck
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Flight 93 the movie

Post by Zuruck »

Anyone hear if the film company that produced this is making a profit off of 9/11 or does the money go to the families? Anyone think this is kind of sketchy?
Palzon
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Palzon »

i'm sure many will disagree. but i feel it is in poor taste.
Fusion pimp
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Fusion pimp »

And, I will be one of those people...

But, I guess I'm a bit torn as well. On one hand I think America needs to be reminded of 9/11 as often as required to keep it fresh in our minds, lest, like most tragedies, it becomes nothing more than a detached story from the past that has little meaning.

On the other hand, Hollywood is notorious for profiting from societies ills, and that pretty much makes them gutter-trash. As consumers and movie goers, we have to take some responsibility because we make it profitable. If nobody wanted to see it, they wouldn't make it.Tragety sells.

We don't know the full intentions of the people who decided to make the movie- I suspect(as usual) it's all about the money and that's disgusting to me. But the people who needlessly died at the hands of brutal cowards dwarfs the contempt I hold for anything Hollywood has ever done, including this.
VonVulcan
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by VonVulcan »

I heard monies were going to the families.
(20:12) STRESSTEST: Im actually innocent this time
Fusion pimp
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Fusion pimp »

There's nothing sketchy about it, actually..

If it bothers you that much, don't see the movie, pick one family that lost a member and send 'em the 10 bucks it costs to see the flick.It would be far more noble than simply pointing your finger at 'the bad man'.
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

Not that Holiwood isn't scum... :)

BUT, my understanding is that the Producer got approval from the families of every single person on flight 93. The families gave advice about how to represent their loved ones, up to and including what they were wearing that day. And the families saw the final product and said, \"Yeah, thats ok\", before they put it in the can for the theaters.

Anyway, that is what they said about it on the radio.
Genghis
DBB Newbie
DBB Newbie

Post by Genghis »

The A&E (cable) TV channel already quietly made their own Flight 93 movie a few months ago:

http://www.aetv.com/flight_93/index.jsp

Apparently it's still on TV in reruns. It's on my DVR but I haven't watched it yet.
Palzon
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Palzon »

A documentary would have been better, imho. the only dramatization i wholeheartedly endorse is Band of Brothers.
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

There certainly must be some motivation on the part of the producers and creators to stir up some reaction by reminding us about what it was that happened. But since I share that desire to try and keep our short attention spanned, apathetic countrymen focused, if only slightly more, on the dangers in the world around them so I guess I'm OK with it regardless of the quality.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

Todd Beamer's dad wrote about the movie in today's Wall Street Journal.
Hattrick
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Hattrick »

\"Families of Flight 93 announced Thursday Universal Pictures will donate 10 per cent of the gross from the first three days to the memorial. United 93 will open April 28.\"

taken from here.
Zuruck
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Zuruck »

I think everyone alive remembers 9/11, nobody can forget it, it's the bullshat afterwords that changed people's minds.

What part of the movie shows the plane being shot down and the subsequent cover up?
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Re:

Post by Lothar »

Zuruck wrote:What part of the movie shows the plane being shot down and the subsequent cover up?
I think the movie was intended to be true to reality, so they didn't include such scenes.
dissent
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Re:

Post by dissent »

Palzon wrote:... i wholeheartedly endorse is Band of Brothers.
x2. One excellent piece of film-making.
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

I don't see the problem with it, and I intend to see it in the theater.
Sir Sam II
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sir Sam II »

Well, its the 28th & its in one theatre out of 4 in the area its labeled \"United 93 (2006).\"
Zuruck
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Zuruck »

Hah, I knew Lothar would bite...what a dork.

I bought the DVD series of band of brothers the day it came out, well worth the 90 bucks. Anybody see the HBO flick \"The Hamburg Cell\"? Bout the training and such of the terrorists, good flick but raises your blood temp a little bit.
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re:

Post by Will Robinson »

Zuruck wrote:Hah, I knew Lothar would bite...what a dork...
Does that mean you have only been pretending to be that delusional? All this time, and all those posts were merely a smoke screen to get Lothar to believe you are really that stupid just so you could unveil the grand finale of 'I gotcha Dork'?

Damn, talk about the anti-climax of the month!!
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Discovery Channel had a special on the movie a year ago. From what I remember, the movie is based entirely off of the flight recordings and phone transcripts.
Will Robinson wrote:
Zuruck wrote:Hah, I knew Lothar would bite...what a dork...
Does that mean you have only been pretending to be that delusional? All this time, and all those posts were merely a smoke screen to get Lothar to believe you are really that stupid just so you could unveil the grand finale of 'I gotcha Dork'?

Damn, talk about the anti-climax of the month!!
It gets even better when you look up the definition of the word "dork". ;) Congrats Lothar, Zuruck just said you're well endowed. :D
Fusion pimp
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Fusion pimp »

lol@ Will..

You are truly priceless.
Bold Deceiver
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by Bold Deceiver »

Zuruck wrote:Hah, I knew Lothar would bite...what a dork.
What a child you are, Zuruck. Are you not the least bit concerned that sensible people find your inane commentary utterly plausible as a serious proposition, as long as it's coming from you?

Ah but you sure got Lothar. But hey, in the same breath you belittle the deaths of your own fellow Americans who died at the hands of terrorists.

Good one!!!
Gooberman
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Gooberman »

I have a belly button.
Fusion pimp
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Fusion pimp »

I go to the movies about once every 3-4 years, but I had to go see this one this afternoon..it was worth it.

The movie was done in such a way that you were part of it, you could feel the emotions of the people. I got the feeling there wasn't a main character(victims or the POS terrorists). The movie never really focused on anyone in particular.. sort of hard to explain.

I think everyone should see this movie, it's a sickning reminder of what type of animal the American people are dealing with. I left the theatre speachless, mostly because I was pissed. Probably more pissed than I was in Sept of 2001. It's one thing to watch the tragedy on the news because it's still somewhat detached(hard to describe), like the news is just news and somehow it's less real. This movie drove it home in a nightmarish/eerie way.

It's a must see...

B-
Money!
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Money! »

My bad, wasn't myself last night.
Birdseye wrote:It's never over
Zuruck
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Zuruck »

Personally, I don't need hardcore CGI effects and scripts to remember what happened that morning. Unless HBO or Cinemax buy the rights to screen in down the road, I won't see it anytime soon.
Fusion pimp
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Fusion pimp »

Maybe you should, Zuruck.. there were absolutely no special effects, etc.. it was more like a documentary.
Birdseye
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Re:

Post by Birdseye »

Fusion pimp wrote:I go to the movies about once every 3-4 years, but I had to go see this one this afternoon..it was worth it.

The movie was done in such a way that you were part of it, you could feel the emotions of the people. I got the feeling there wasn't a main character(victims or the POS terrorists). The movie never really focused on anyone in particular.. sort of hard to explain.

I think everyone should see this movie, it's a sickning reminder of what type of animal the American people are dealing with. I left the theatre speachless, mostly because I was pissed. Probably more pissed than I was in Sept of 2001. It's one thing to watch the tragedy on the news because it's still somewhat detached(hard to describe), like the news is just news and somehow it's less real. This movie drove it home in a nightmarish/eerie way.

It's a must see...

B-

I'm surprised you are so impressionable. I wonder if someone made a movie about all the innocent Iraqis who were killed in "Shock and Awe" how you would feel after meeting specific families, their kids, and seeing their lives, then their innocent deaths.
Sir Sam II
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Sir Sam II »

Birdseye wrote:
Fusion pimp wrote:I go to the movies about once every 3-4 years, but I had to go see this one this afternoon..it was worth it.

It's a must see...

B-

I'm surprised you are so impressionable. I wonder if someone made a movie about all the innocent Iraqis who were killed in "Shock and Awe" how you would feel after meeting specific families, their kids, and seeing their lives, then their innocent deaths.
Only we didn't choose to kill innocent Iraqis in sheer acts of hate & terrorism, we counteracted, there IS a difference. I think you need to reclarify exactly what you mean Bird.
Zuruck
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Zuruck »

I saw the A & E movie Flight 93 and thought it was ok....made for tv...ok flick. I'm reluctant to give money to the heartless american cinema. AT LEAST this film doesn't include Ben Affleck and some love story gone wrong...
Fusion pimp
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Fusion pimp »

I wonder if someone made a movie about all the innocent Iraqis who were killed in \"Shock and Awe\" how you would feel after meeting specific families, their kids, and seeing their lives, then their innocent deaths.
Since this thread is about a movie based on 9/11 and the Iraq war, according to most people, has nothing to do with 9/11, I don't see how your question pertains to this movie. Remember, they are separate issues.

I'll answer you anyway- death hurts loved ones regardless of the circumstances surrounding their death so I would feel bad for the loved ones. If they were terrorists, I wouldn't bat an eye because they're vermin.