Waterchillers ...

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Waterchillers ...

Post by Diedel »

just got a newsletter from a German shop specialized on water cooling for computers. They are offering a new product line coming from professional aquaristics (proper word?)

They have a cooling performance of up to 4000W and cost up to a whopping 1799 Euros, allowing you to cool your water down to +4 deg centigrade.

I just had to write back. These guys somehow must have lost reality contact. Who in all the hell needs that? Apart from the questionable usefulness of overclocking there are cheaper solutions that cool your system down to -30 deg centigrade, and for still less money WaterChill offers a VapoChill system that cools the entire case interior, not just some components like the CPU etc.

And if you don't want to overclock, there's aircooling available that is at least as silent and almost as efficient as watercooling, and probably better for your hardware, as it also cools the motherboard's power conversion mosfets (which watercooling systems fail to do due to lack of airflow unless you add mosfet coolers).

I had to alternately shake my head and laugh when reading that offer. Tsk. :lol:
dixonh2
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re: Waterchillers ...

Post by dixonh2 »

Diedel wrote:just got a newsletter from a German shop specialized on water cooling for computers. They are offering a new product line coming from professional aquaristics (proper word?)...
(Quote edited by responder)

But, hey, imagine being able to brag to all your beer buddies that you have a chip set so hot that you have the only water cooled computer in your neighborhood! Au contrair, monsieur, these guys are on the something! They understand the mindset of the average gamer.

BTW, I never heard of the word aquaristics either, but you may have just coined a useful new word because there's no word yet for the bizarre specialty they are in AFAIK.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

I have a \"waterchiller\" of sorts for my system, it's called a radiator and a fan stuck out the window in january, it allows me to cool the water down to well below freezing if I am not careful. :P