My latest project

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

My latest project

Post by Dakatsu »

Okay, I am working on a Descent 3 mod.

It won't be super big, but it may be fun.

The mod basically adds ships. It will add the original black pyro for instance. The original Black Pyro will have high speed and great weapons, for the sacrofice of completely horrible armor (Scalar=1.50). So for the info, it won't be uber-unbalanced.

I may also give the Magnum even more characteristics of a tank. It will be even slower and even less of a turn rate, but it may have quad-fusion instead of tri-fusion. It may also get even better armor.

I will post more information as I go, but I hope it may be fun for someone else to try. Please post your ideas of ships. The model has to already be in the game however.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

too bad that you can't reduce accelleration and turn rae as mass increases. (more weapons onboard) this also would have to take into account the amount of energy the particular ships engines are capable. blah blah blah. : )
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

Don't bother wasting your time Dakatsu.
Seriously.
I mean: JUST DON'T BOTHER.

All you will succeed in doing is creating an abortion of a mess. Outrage spent more time and more money balancing D3 than you have ever seen in your entire life - and you are dreaming if you think you can make any improvement AT ALL. Each ship's performance is VERY finely balanced as it is.

Adding the BP: already done. Go to PD for the patch.

Making the BP faster: well, that is the lamest of the lame. The BP should not be any faster than it is already - are you utterly insane? You want fast - fly a Lamenix - err, I mean a Skipnix, you know - that stupid ship 56Kers use all the time because they're just about impossible to hit on 5 or 6 packets a second.

Adding weapons to the BP: more lameness - it already has a very robust weapons loadout: Killer Microwave, wicked fast-loading bi-fusion, and triple Lamo Cannon - err - Omega cannon! What else can you ask for?

So you are gonna make the armour scalar 1.5? You think that's gonna balance your proposed changes?

BWAHAHAHAHA.

Dreamer.

Make it 5.0 and you might be somewhere close.

Don't even get me started on your proposed Tank modifications: QUAD-FUSION? OMG - that's the lamest thing I've ever heard of. At least it takes some skill to fully charge the tri-fusion and make a one-shot kill with it. Standard (uncharged) fusion blobs do 25 damage to a pyro, so by adding a 4th fusion barrel, you make it a guaranteed Pyro kill without even charging the thing. Jebus H Chribt on a pony. What's the point?

Have you actually spent any time at all thinking about this? No - of course you haven't.

Man, if you'd just devote all this time and energy to getting good at D3, you wouldn't need to worry about trying to re-do what Outrage already did 100% correctly the first time.
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

O_O dude, go easy on the guy...

I hate to say it (no offense) but I have to agree with what hw said, not nessisarily how he said it though.
The BP it balanced by the fact that it's slow, and has good weapons (plasma hehe...) but isn't worth a damn in CTF if it doesn't have an AB cooler (grr...) Quad fusion is a bit excessive... If I can get a double kill in a BP with little charging (I think...) then 4blobs is a little much.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

Mobius, we don't need a negative post like that, and more positive posts.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

The fact remains, though, that there isn't anyone left to play it any more...
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Dakatsu »

NOT the current BP, like the one from D3Jakes picture, but the original, from level 4. Basically looks like the Pyro GL, but black.
I will make it a playable ship. I may also add certain ships from the campaign.

Besides, it is more of my first project to test out what I can do.
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by Bet51987 »

Sirius wrote:The fact remains, though, that there isn't anyone left to play it any more...
I'm not sure what you mean by that since I'm never short of finding people to play with anytime I feel like playing. I heard a similar remark over three years ago and still hear it today but I always see the same amount of people playing. If your talking about the super elite who have left for other games... I wish them the best. If your talking about the cowards (like Ingus, or spaceprincess :) ) there is nothing I can do except promise in writing that I won't hurt them if they come back.

What makes the game boring to me sometimes are the robot players. Those are the ones who come in under an unrecognizable alias, never say a word, never use a taunt, and never say gg when they leave. I feel like I'm playing a bot. Its no fun and sometimes I just go chat on the phone. There are a lot of good people I play with who use the same player name or two all the time so when I see the name I feel like I'm seeing a friend. I know what taunts he is going to use, how he is going to play, and what to expect.

It may be just me, but its much more fun to play with a player you recognize than a new name that I've never seen before. A stranger that I don't have fun with because I don't know him. It gets that way with tennis if your partner is different each week.

Keep it alive Dakatsu. I'll be waiting for you around the corner... and please instead of quad fusions make the ones that are already there less than one hit wonders. Its too easy for tanks to get kills.

Bee
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Bet51987 wrote:
Sirius wrote:The fact remains, though, that there isn't anyone left to play it any more...
I'm not sure what you mean by that since I'm never short of finding people to play with anytime I feel like playing.
That's been my experience as well. In fact, since I started playing multiplayer less than a year and a half ago, the number of regular players around has actually increased a little.
Bet51987 wrote:It may be just me, but its much more fun to play with a player you recognize than a new name that I've never seen before. A stranger that I don't have fun with because I don't know him. It gets that way with tennis if your partner is different each week.
It's not just you. I also prefer playing with people I know more than strangers who won't identify themselves. The comraderie of familiar pilots is a big part of the game for me, and I especially enjoy getting on voice chat with friends while playing (although I know this can sometimes contribute to less "F8" chat with other players in the game).
Bet51987 wrote:...and please instead of quad fusions make the ones that are already there less than one hit wonders. Its too easy for tanks to get kills.
It depends on their flying style, the game type, and the level. ;) I'll play tank in some levels and gametypes because I tend to do better with it. And then in other levels/gametypes I wouldn't dream of flying tank; in fact, I find tanks are the easiest to kill in some places.
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Dakatsu »

I think he meant there are so few people playing D3, who would play my small mod.

To Bettina: I MAY edit the tank to be more like a tank. Slower, but more stronger. I will post something when I decide.

About the ships I am going to add/edit.

Pyro-GL: It will stay the same.

Phoenix: More like an \"Interceptor\". It will be faster in speed, but slower in turn rate. Not by much though.

Magnum: More like an \"Assault Heavy Transport\". Armor will be increased, but it will be even slower. I may also give it, quad fusion and dual mass driver.

Mercenary Pyro-GX (Old Black Pyro): More dual-shooting weaponry.

Black Pyro (New): Really fast and great weapons, but look out for incredibly bad armour.
Money!
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Money! »

I think the people that are skilled at D3 that used to play should quit complaining about missing the good ol' times and grace us with their presence in game.
Birdseye wrote:It's never over
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Dakatsu »

EDITED: Sorry for double post.

Please read below.
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Dakatsu »

Okay, here is what I got so far.

None of the original ships will be changed, except I did make the fusion on the magnum take 10 instead of 6 energy (I tried quad-fusion, but the ports are so close together it doesn't look any different).

The other thing I did is a new laser system.
HISTORY
In Descent 2, the lasers went 1-4 and 5-6 super.
The lasers would be upgraded if you grabbed another laser power-up.
This was scrapped. Now the lasers are Level 2 (Blue), and Level 5 (Yellow).

Here is all the lasers, their color, and their respective damages (at least what I changed them to)

Laser Level 1 - Red - 6.25
Laser Level 2 - Blue - 7.00
Laser Level 3 - Purple - 7.75
Laser Level 4 - Green - 8.50
Laser Level 5 - Yellow - 9.25
Laser Level 6 - White - 10.00

Now, I will add all the lasers back in. If you think about it, 2+5=7. Also, 1+6=7 and 3+4=7, So I decided a good system would work a little like so.

Laser Level 1 (Red) and Laser Level 6 (White) for Phoenix and my new Mercenary Pyro.

Laser Level 2 (Blue) and Laser Level 5 (Yellow) for Pyro-GL and Black Pyro.

Laser Level 3 (Purple) and Laser Level 4 (Green) for the Magnum.

Basically the lasers stay the same for Pyro GL and Black Pyro. The Phoenix and my new Mercenary Pyro get bad lasers at start, but get very nice ones with super lasers. The magnum gets good lasers at start, but don't get that hell of a good upgrade for them.

Now, for my latest work, my Mercenary Pyro!

Summary: Mercenary Pyro is faster than all other ships. It is also highly armed and dangerous. The problem is it gets easily taken down at first sign of detection by enemy forces.

Armor Scalar: 2.5 (Laser doing 10 damage will now do 25)
Speed: Lets just say really really fast.
Changes in arnament:
-Level 1 & 6 Lasers replace Level 2 & 5 Lasers.
-Dual Mass Driver, less accurate in sniper mode, but devastating to anything else. Uses two shots.
-Concussion, Homing, Frag, Napalm, Cyclone, and Smart now fire two at a time.
-Fusion better than normal ships, but not sure how, either faster reload or more bolts.
-Vauss gun fires faster and uses less ammunition, but only fires from center point.
-Five beam napalm.
-Omega cannon fires five beams, instead of three.

I suggest only players good at dodging use this ship. Anyone who gets shot easily dies fast in this Pyro. If you are good at avoiding enemy shots, and not being seen, I recommend this ship.

Next ship is undecided, it may be the \"Hood\" from Level 7, but I am not sure.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Cool project. I'm no fan of D3 but i'll play ur mod when it's done.
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Dakatsu »

At least I got a few supporters :P

Now, I have decided I want to add the Hood.

I am not sure if it will work though, as the ports are wierd, and I am not sure how the firing ports would work. So far only the flare shoots, and that is out of the left port. It is also a bit big, it doesn't fit into certain places, like the doors in Abend 2. But I hope I can make it work.

The Mercenary Pyro is almost complete, just have to implment the Omega & Fusion changes.
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

The only problem that I can see for now is this: the hood can't fit through a standard doorway... I was swapping out the model for the GL one day with other ship like ojects (and even the gun from the dragon...)
ccb056
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by ccb056 »

just mod the table files and be a wall monkey...
I haven't lost my mind, it's backed up on disk somewhere.
WillyP
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by WillyP »

Looking foward to seeing this, personaly I think that you have some good ideas, and even if your mods are no improvment at least it will be interesting to play a different mode. And if it turns out to be a bad idea, so what, at least you tried. The only failure is failure to try, if at least you learned something!
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Dakatsu »

WillyP wrote:Looking foward to seeing this, personaly I think that you have some good ideas, and even if your mods are no improvment at least it will be interesting to play a different mode. And if it turns out to be a bad idea, so what, at least you tried. The only failure is failure to try, if at least you learned something!
Another supporter. I know it won't be as good as my Aki War Mod, but I hope sometime I can give it to some people and someone can host a server for people to play on.

Anyway, back to the drawing board. For the Hood, I will try to get it to fit through doors somehow. But anyway, It will use the Magnum laser setup (Level 3 and Level 4 lasers.) And it's cyclone will be good. That is all I know for now.

I have a funny bug on my Mercenary Pyro. It's flare is a level 1 laser. I will try to fix it though.
VonVulcan
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by VonVulcan »

Dude, anything new is GOOD!!!
(20:12) STRESSTEST: Im actually innocent this time
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Dakatsu »

Anyone know of a plug-in for GMax so I can make new models, or at least resize the freaking Hood model!
Stryker
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Stryker »

You don't need it--OOFEdit can do all the resizing you need.
Zantor
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Zantor »

Money! wrote:I think the people that are skilled at D3 that used to play should quit complaining about missing the good ol' times and grace us with their presence in game.
I agree.

Dakatsu wrote:At least I got a few supporters :P

Now, I have decided I want to add the Hood.

I am not sure if it will work though, as the ports are wierd, and I am not sure how the firing ports would work. So far only the flare shoots, and that is out of the left port. It is also a bit big, it doesn't fit into certain places, like the doors in Abend 2. But I hope I can make it work.

The Mercenary Pyro is almost complete, just have to implment the Omega & Fusion changes.
I'm for your mod as well. Just keep a good balance in mind, and it should turn up great.
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Dakatsu »

Another OOF question. How do I add or rename gunpoints using OOFEdit?
Stryker
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Stryker »

You don't rename them, but ctrl-g converts the current object to a gunpoint. There's also a menu for it somewhere, I believe.
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Dakatsu »

Stryker wrote:You don't rename them, but ctrl-g converts the current object to a gunpoint. There's also a menu for it somewhere, I believe.
CTRL-G Doesn't do anything.
SuperSheep
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by SuperSheep »

Actually, Styker is correct. Ctrl-G is a hotkey for converting sub-objects to gunpoints.

You can also right click in the treeview and select Convert To/Gunpoint.

You must have more than one model in your OOF and the sub-objects you wish to convert to gunpoints must be a child of another object, and have no children.
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Dakatsu »

Alrighty! I have done alot since my last post.

The Hood's firing points are fixed. It only has four, but it is better than nothing.

Now, including the BP and normals, my ships total at 7. Here are what I got done:

\"Mercenary Pyro\": Fast, and loaded with weapons, but suffers in poor armor. Fusion is quad, and Mass Driver is dual. All missiles except a few are dual firing. Vauss is focused at the mid-point.
\"Hood\": Fighter craft with fast acceleration, but poor turn rate. Primaries except the EMD are better, but the secondaries except the Cyclone are worse. EMD shoots the weak orange colored blobs. Cyclone rockets are fired dual for the price of one cyclone rocket.
\"Starhawk\": Undecided.
Lasers differ from ship. Pyro-GL and Black Pyro are Level 2 (Blue) and Level 5 (Yellow), as normal. Phoenix and Mercenary Pyro have Level 1 (Red) and Level 6 (White), poorer at start but the best in the game with upgrade. Magnum-AHT and Hood fire Level 3 (Purple) and Level 4 (Green) lasers, better at the beginning, but the upgrade is poor.

I also found these with a workable model (as in I can add gunpoints and it could look like a ship), I may add some of these as playable ships:
Scavenger (barnswallow.oof), Cargo Ship (cargoship.oof), Covert Cargo Ship (covertcargoship.oof), Dropship (dropship.oof), Joshbot (joshbot.oof), Manta (mantaray.oof), Nomad Skiff (nomadskiffgreen.oof), Nomad UFO (nomadufo.oof), and the pssibility of battle guide bots.
HighOctane_Jared
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by HighOctane_Jared »

Players like Dakatsu keep games alive long after their shelf life, so I look forward to the mod as well.
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Dakatsu »

Okay.... any green laser appears red! I tried all the green lasers in the game, and they all appear red! Any help?

This has been going on from the beginning for the info!
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

Try the laser from the Hood's GAM entry. BTW, there are 2 places that you have to enter the wepon at, the index number and the weapon name
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Dakatsu »

UGH! Fixed... OMG!

Put down
Laser Level 4 -Green
instead of
Laser Level 4 - Green

GRAHH!HH!H!H!

DAMN SPACE!!! MREH!!!

Edit: But how do I find out what # a weapon is on a weapon index without finding the bot that has it?
Zantor
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Zantor »

HighOctane_Jared wrote:Players like Dakatsu keep games alive long after their shelf life, so I look forward to the mod as well.
Very well said. I'm not sure if I could've put it better myself.
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Dakatsu »

ALright, the Hood won't be as good as primary weapons as I said. It will act normally, except the EMD fires the poor orange blobs, and cyclone fires dual for the price of one rocket.

Starhawk will be the pimary weapons increase for poorer rockets. It's model lets me do this a bit better.
Stryker
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Stryker »

Dakatsu wrote:Edit: But how do I find out what # a weapon is on a weapon index without finding the bot that has it?
This is unnecessary. To my knowledge the weapon index is a useless artifact.