Weapon Drop

Meet the people you love to kill (and be killed by) in Descent!

Moderator: Do_Checkor

d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Weapon Drop

Post by d3jake »

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this...

Anyway, In D2 I noticed the feature \"Drop Primary\" And \"Drop Secondary\". This was really handy when my sister and I played Co-op (up to level 8 because my laptop crashed and it was challenging to find things without the GB...) We would balence things out, if I get the Spreadfire, she'd get the Vulcan, etc.
And while doing Co-op in D3 I noticed that there wasn't that option and was wondering why... Is there any easy way to allow D3 to be able to do this? Or would it include beating MAIN.EXE into something not completely unlike a trout reading a book while going through a meat grinder?

Oh, I'l give you guys a tip... WHen running D2 on a 150 MHz system with 32 MB RAM (I think that's how much it has...) don't drop 200+ missles, it has a tendency to make D3 crash for some strange reason...
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Moved to multiplayer.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

I don't recall there ever being a reason given. In D2, there was a bug with the guass cannon where if you took turns dropping your gun and others running over it, and they had one, it would add ammo to them.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

No clue why Outrage decided to \"drop\" the weapons drop feature. I remember I was quite annoyed when I found out -- it's very handy in team games :) Technically there is a mechanism for it in D3, the Thief is removing weapons from your ship..
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

You can still drop inventory items, however. Removing the weapon drop for this was a dumb idea.
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

So...is there anyway to allow a weapon drop? Or would it have to be included in the .d3m file..? LIke a special CTF w/ Weapon drop..?
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

For MP, I think the answer is \"no way\" w/o the source code. There's no mechnism for letting the server know you dropped a weapon at this location.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Gren: not entirely true... a mod could implement this feature (mods have access to modifying the inventory of the player). It could spawn a weapon object at the player's location while simulatenously removing it from inventory.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Hm, I thought that's handled by the server ? Like the spew when a player dies eg. For dropping a weapon you still need a path from the client to the server, letting it know that the client spawned something. (?)
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

But would it be possible? Obvisouly it woiuld have to be a special CTF MOD...but other than that...it could be done, right?
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Mods contain client and server code. When a player executes the \"drop X weapon\" command it would send a packet to the server that would ensure that the player does indeed have X in his inventory, spawn the proper object, and remove it from the client's inventory. The client would be updated on the next cycle.
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

So..? Only the person who wants to drop a weapon has to have the different MOD?
MidiV
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by MidiV »

Several years ago i was asking someone from Outrage will be implemented weapons drop in 1.5 patch or not. He replied that no plans for this yet and patch should fix bugs and no additional features like weapon drop are planned.
So... years had passed.... and no noticeable changes in this area. Sad. Me and my friends pretty much were using ability to drop weaps in D2 team games or in anarchy mode just to disorientate opponents.

Count me in!
Perfection Through Genetics
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Re:

Post by MD-2389 »

Grendel wrote:No clue why Outrage decided to "drop" the weapons drop feature. I remember I was quite annoyed when I found out -- it's very handy in team games :) Technically there is a mechanism for it in D3, the Thief is removing weapons from your ship..
As well as weapons being "smacked" or "sliced" off of your ship by various bots in D3.
"One spelling mistake can destroy your life. A Husband sent this to his wife : "I'm having a wonderful time. Wish you were her." - @RobinWilliams
WillyP
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by WillyP »

I think you could do this in Dallas, no mods. Give the player one or more keys at level start, name the keys like 'Drop Concussion Missle' and when the player uses the key, remove the concusion missle, copy player location, start a timer so the player can move, then place a missle at the location in the clipboard.
Floyd
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Floyd »

this would require Otherones cool ammo drop function ;)
it provides the DALLAS key you described. it is used in various levels. just ask him. i got permission once to use it for my level as well.
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

But what're the odds that everybody is willing to redownload a copy of VV just becuase we added Weapon Drop? The ones who think it's a stupid idea probaly won't do it, unless we force the issue by only having the special VV hosted...
Floyd
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Floyd »

implement it into a then enhanced CTF-mod and it's compatible with all levels, not just that boring vv poop.
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

That would mean that they (those who play) would have to download the different MOD...But would they be able to use the normal CTF MOD and the \"drop\" CTF MOD on the same game? I don't think so..
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

That would mean that they (those who play) would have to download the different MOD...But would they be able to use the normal CTF MOD and the \"drop\" CTF MOD on the same game? I don't think so..
Floyd
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Floyd »

why eat with two spoons at the same time? CTF and CTF with weapon drop is no difference but, well, except the weapon drop. nothing else.
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

So if I tried to join a normal CTF game using the CTF w/ weapon drop, it would allow me to join\\play?
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

...you can't choose what mod is active when you join a game. That's server-side.
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

this I realize, but how would you get to be able to play w/ W.D. during a normal CTF game, or would it have to be a game set up for the W.D. CTF?
Floyd
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Floyd »

the server runs the enhanced mod and everyone has to download it, like every other mod. what's so hard to understand about it?
WillyP
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by WillyP »

I think you should build a new level optimized for this mod.
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

I was jist checking that what I thought you meant, was what I thought you were talking about...
Uh... who should build the elvel for it?
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Uh, you don't exactly optimise levels for dropping weapons. It's far, far too trivial to make that big an impact.
WillyP
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by WillyP »

If its so trivial, why build levels at all? Most multi player levels are better at this that or another, because the are optimized, either by design or luck,for different aspects of play. If a level were optimized to take advantage of a weapon drop feature then it certinly would make an impact. Although, I admit I haven't a clue how to optimize for a weapon drop feature. I'm sure d3jake has a few ideas.
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

I hate to say it but I don't really have amy ideas for an 'optimized level' I was thinking that it would be handy during the Fri and Sat VV games (that's normally when cool2 is on and normally while we're both playing we'll have TS running. ANd it would be nice if fir example I have a promary that he wants, and out weapons\\energy room(center) has only MD and Quad in it then I could drop a Vauss to him or something.

Though now that I think about it, it might be cool to have for Co-op. Maybe it's a level set that is kinda like \"fight your way through since you're along\" type of thing with weapon respawn set to -1 or something (never respawn)
MidiV
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by MidiV »

IMHO, weapon drop is pretty much useful in hot Mosterball games.
For example, damaged player could drop BlackShark or Vauss to another team mate (or just to more skilled Vauss player).
Perfection Through Genetics