Sidewinder Pro ..Direct x Instllation Failure

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

dixonh2
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Sidewinder Pro ..Direct x Instllation Failure

Post by dixonh2 »

This has no doubt been covered and recovered. Please point me to the resolution which is no doubt covered on this BB somewhere.

XP Pro running D3 just fine now.

Bought on Ebay a new Sidewinder Pro. Tried to install it with the new drivers GameENv 3.2 from MSoft. Compatability Wizard did not help under 95 or 98SE on my XP Pro.

I always get this error which stops the install:

\" DIRECT X Initialization Failure\"

It cannot get past attempting to install it's old Direct x 5.3 over my Direct X v.9.0 and there seems to be no way to skip that step so I do not overwrite the newer Directx drivers

The Sidewinder Pro shows in Device Manager and shows and responds well in the C.Panel\\ Game Controllers.

This issue must have been enountered many times but I did not find it on the board.

TIA
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

You don't need to install MS SW pro drivers on WinXP. XP has built-in support for it. The only problem is to make it work properly. You need to assign the proper i/o addresses to your game port in the BIOS. There is an article in the MS knowledge base about that; maybe you want to search for more info there.

Best thing is however to get Grendel to make more SW pro USB adapters and sell you one. ;)
dixonh2
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Sw Pro configuration

Post by dixonh2 »

Many thanks Diedel
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

Best is in actual fact to buy a decent joystick. What you purschaed might have been OK back in the Beige Age, but today it simply sucks donkey testicles.

Get a Logitech 3D Pro and save yourself a world of heartache.
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xamindar »

The troll has returned. :roll:
dixonh2
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Sidewinder Pro game controller issues

Post by dixonh2 »

Mobius,

You recommend a Logitech 3D Pro. Hmmm.

I just blew $30 on this new Ebay Sidewinder Pro for the stick ( about $15) and shipment $15. What a rip on the shipment costs, huh?

The XP Pro recognizes it. You can see that in the C.Panel both in the Dev. Manager and the Game Controller icons.

But the d3 program itself does not see the Sidewinder Pro because when I get to the D3 Options/Config panel and then Joy/Mouse no buttons or stick movements at all register if I empty the little boxes by hitting ENTER and doing a botton press or a stick movement.Nada

So I remain a KB/Mouser for the moment. But I'll never get past Hot Shot this way. Think I've been had by my own ignorance.

Mobius,why is the the Logitech 3D Pro a better answer?

TIA
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

is the SWPro the only gaming device attached to your machine?
dixonh2
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Onlyt gaming Device?

Post by dixonh2 »

FlipTW

There is a NYKO Airflow installled but not showing in the CPanel/Game COntrollers control icon. Guess it would not hurt to uninstall the NYKO.

Thanks..I'll report back if you're a hero for suggesting this
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

I forget which game(either free space or d3, or both) that you have to select which device you are using, otherwise its uses the first logical device on the system.

Note: this is something Mobius would never think of.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

in gamecontrol panel under advanced select 3dpro as default(prefered) device for older application

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Descent3 can handle multiple joysticks at once (I know, I tried before and got it to work with two Precision Pros at once).
pATCheS
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by pATCheS »

Run Descent 3.exe in your D3 folder, click the Setup button, click the Controls tab, and that should do it. If it doesn't, that puts you on the page you need to be at to troubleshoot it (using the two buttons, not the checkboxes).
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Re:

Post by Diedel »

Mobius wrote:Best is in actual fact to buy a decent joystick. What you purschaed might have been OK back in the Beige Age, but today it simply sucks donkey testicles.

Get a Logitech 3D Pro and save yourself a world of heartache.
That's complete rubbish. The MS SW 3D pro is still the best, most precise stick around (unless you want to afford one of these insanely expensive flight control systems).