Critical thinking: come get some!

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Critical thinking: come get some!

Post by Mobius »

I know you're familiar with his work: Jurassic Park, ER, The Great Train Robbery, Timeline, Sphere... and his latest, and most controversial, State Of Fear. But this isn't all Michael Crichton does. He's a very interesting and very smart guy. He's a genuine critical thinker, and a true skeptic (in the true meaning of the word, not the usual \"cynic\" interpretation of it) and these qualities along with his writing ability make him very accessible when compared to some other modern thinkers.

I thoroughly recommend you visit his web site at http://www.crichton-official.com/ and read some of his speeches. In very plain English, which I think you will find very easy to understand, he outlines his ideas about science, and global warming in particular.

If you appreciate his web site writings, you'll really enjoy his non-fiction work called \"Travels\", an autobiographical book which is extremele amusing and enlightening. Enjoy.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Re: Critical thinking: come get some!

Post by Krom »

Mobius wrote:... extremele ...
You did that on purpose!
Genghis
DBB Newbie
DBB Newbie

Post by Genghis »

Cool, I didn't know Crichton was a skeptic. And me a bit of a skeptic groupie. I'll check out his writings.

Did you know Johnny Carson was a skeptic? That's why he had the Amazing Randi on the Tonight show so many times.
Topher
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Topher »

I liked his essay on medical patents
Pandora
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Pandora »

pffft ... Michael Crichton. Make sure you apply your critical thinking to him as well. He's the Michael Moore of the climate change sceptics.

I read his 'State of Fear' recently and started to get convinced by his view that climate change was a myth. Especially, since he provides scientific references to almost all data he refers to in the book. However, then I started to look read up some more on his points and took a look at some of the publications he references. Almost all of his 'facts' misrepresented current scientific knowledge, and he even lies about what's in some of these papers.

Bottom line: Crichton is a manipulative liar. Read him as the science fiction author he is, but take his view with more than a grain of salt.