Password Protected Bullets

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

Ran into a link to this on Schneier's site:

I must say, it seems to me a very shaky solution. There are simpler locks to protect against a child using your weapon. And I'm wondering what they have done to prevent someone from firing the bullets remotely once they've cracked the password? Not good if the gun suddenly starts shooting without you pulling the trigger.

And as far as theft goes, protecting the amunition but not the gun just seems insane. Anyone could steel the gun, throw away the bullets, and go buy more bullets. If the bullets are so cost prohibitive that this is impractical, then they are too cost prohibitive for the legitimate user to ever fire them.
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

The system would undoubtedly cost more than a conventional gun, but many firearm enthusiasts would surely pay a premium for such added security.
YEA RIGHT!

What added security was that again?
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

I could see a day when the whole grip of a pistol could scan and verify the palm and finger prints of the gun owner and only then would it release a trigger block safety.
I'd love to have that if I believed in the reliability of the mechanism.
Fusion pimp
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Fusion pimp »

This is why I keep oodles of re-loading components on hand.

I'm far more concerned with AB-352 passing.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

spend the money and get tirgger locks and a REAL safe.

A good does of \"common sense\" would be nice too. Oh wait.. that's become Uncommon sense as I see young adults have taken to smashing florecent lightbulbs across thier backs.. What the h3ll is Up with that??? mabe they should put security systems on those too.
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

Duper wrote:...A good does of "common sense" would be nice too. Oh wait.. that's become Uncommon sense as I see young adults have taken to smashing florecent lightbulbs across thier backs.. What the h3ll is Up with that??? mabe they should put security systems on those too.
Darwin has some catching up to do....
Fusion pimp
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Fusion pimp »

I agree with the \"real safe\" idea, but trigger locks?

:roll:
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

you probably haven't seen the ones I have Fusion. they encompass a 1/3 of the gun. they are quite effective.

That with keeping it empty and hiding your ammo (in a safe). It shouldn't be a problem.
Fusion pimp
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Fusion pimp »

I'm not suggesting trigger locks are ineffective, I'm telling you trigger locks are stupid and they make the firearm useless, which defeats the purpose of a firearm in the home.

Trust me, I've seen every trigger lock on the market.

If you can't afford a real safe and have untrustworthy children, get new children. If that's not an option, get one of these... They make access almost immediate.

http://www.buyasafe.com/Scripts/prodVie ... roduct=278