Finally out of debt - yay!

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Darktalyn1
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Finally out of debt - yay!

Post by Darktalyn1 »

Whew!

When I graduated from college in December 2004 I had (between credit cards & my car loan) around 16,000 dollars of debt. I started work on January 10, 2005 and set a personal goal that I would pay everything off in eighteen months - July 10, 2006.

While it certainly was not easy I am very happy to say that as of today, July 7, 2006 I have paid off the last of my debt (car). While my savings are pitiful I have a pretty decent amount of $ in stocks so that's a start.

Unfortunately instead of spending all the extra monthly cash I should have now, I get to continue my humble lifestyle while I save for a house.

But, I remember posting about this a year and a half ago & just wanted to share my good news :)

Peace!
Vindicator
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by Vindicator »

Congrats! Its hard to dig yourself out of debt once you're in it pretty deep, so good for you.
Money!
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Money! »

Congrats Darktalyn!
Birdseye wrote:It's never over
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Congrats and having a good job helps. :D
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

CDN_Merlin wrote:Congrats and having a good job helps. :D
It's amazing how many people don't grasp that simple concept.
Genghis
DBB Newbie
DBB Newbie

Re: Finally out of debt - yay!

Post by Genghis »

I'm seriously impressed, DT. Paying off nearly $1K a month for a year and a half is a big deal, especially right out of school. Congratulations on being in the extreme minority of responsible Americans.

Also, per your other thread, Lasik kicks butt. I was half blind from age 13 to 30; I couldnt' see my toes in the shower or read the alarm clock next to my bed. And forget about sports, especially water sports (no, not the sekshual kind). Now five years later I'm 20/20 and the surgery has already paid for itself. I do not miss those damn contact lenses and glasses one fraking bit.
Topher
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Topher »

Fun saving for a house isn't it? You have a big chunk a change and you could just go wild. But no, you have to be responsible and get a decent bachelor pad.
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

Congratulations!

I have debt aversion myself. I think our society is too debt riden. Good work digging your way out!
Tricord
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tricord »

Kilarin wrote:I have debt aversion myself.
So have I, and that aversion has only increased since I started my own company. I will not even allow my company to have a debt with myself or the other way around.

Congrats Darkt! Keep it up!
TIGERassault
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TIGERassault »

Topher wrote:Fun saving for a house isn't it? You have a big chunk a change and you could just go wild. But no, you have to be responsible and get a decent bachelor pad.
It's worse when you start saving as a kid, because you can't get a job. You've just got a big(in comparison to the cost of kids stuff) wad of cash just sitting there for years and years.
I saved up in my credit union for 11 years, putting most of all the money I got in it. And only now do I decide I should spend some of it (on a €1k laptop)