Laptop Troubles

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Unix
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Laptop Troubles

Post by Unix »

Okay, I have an HP Pavillion DV1340us laptop, and about 10 minutes ago my wife was using it and the screen faded really dark and then went completely blank. Our warranty expired last month (figures) so we can't have the repair done for free.

HP Tech Support thinks that the video card died and they want $300 to repair it for us. Is this something I could do myself? I've replaced parts on desktops numerous times, but never a laptop. Where would I buy a laptop video card?

Thanks almighty DBB Tech Support
-Unix
My Music
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

If you know of a PC store other than Best Buy. They are normally selling OEM and retail stuff, not games or tons of software. They would be able to order you a replacement. Be warned, it is not cheap. Then replacing it is as easy as removing the back of the case and changing it. May want to google it to see if there are any special instructions.
Unix
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Unix »

Oh, well I just plugged in an external monitor and it worked so that rules out the video card. I'm guessing it's either the whole LCD screen or the tube in it. I hate computers.
-Unix
My Music
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

You can tell if it is the whole screen or just the backlight by shining a really bright flashlight on the screen while it is running. If you see the picture still using the flashlight the backlight must have burned out.
Unix
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Unix »

Yep you can still see it, even without a flashlight (it's just really really dark)...so the backlight burned out...how much is that going to run me and can I fix it myself?

edit: Could it possibly be the inverter?
-Unix
My Music
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

Unix wrote:Yep you can still see it, even without a flashlight (it's just really really dark)...so the backlight burned out...how much is that going to run me and can I fix it myself?

edit: Could it possibly be the inverter?
more than likely.
Canuck
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Canuck »

Practice on some dead units first, not a beginner project without the tools, workstation, and parts.
Unix
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Unix »

Well, everthing I've seen online seems to point to the backlight being burnt out. I talked to a guy at a computer repair store in the my area and he said the HP Laptops are notoriously difficult to replace the backlight. I can't see it being that hard, but who knows. I found the backlight on eBay for 10 bucks, so I may just buy it and have the computer tech repair the thing. Thanks for the help everyone :)
-Unix
My Music
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

Tell you what: try getting it repaired for free anyway. If an item has a 12 month guarantee and ides in the 13th or 14th month then that is a load of bull★■◆●!

I'd ring them and ring them and ring them and just basically bug the ★■◆● out of them so it's just not worth them taking all your calls.

Many companies when presented with such a situation will just replace whatever it is rather than suffer the consequences.

I always quote the figure that it costs 22 times as much to get a new customer as it does to retain an existing one, and that each bad customer experience on average loses the business around 31 customers.

If they want your business, make 'em work for it.
Unix
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Unix »

Well, Mobi - you were right. I called and bitched and they said, \"We'll send you a box and you can ship it free to us. We'll replace the whole display, and ship it back to you.\"

Thanks, Mobi. :)
-Unix
My Music
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

That also shows that the computer store guy was right and HP KNOWS they have issues with them.

Remember to yank your hard drive incase they get wierd and decide to send you a new unit. .. or would they be able to replace it without it? hrm.. (testing and that sorta thing)

Good call Mobi! 8)
Unix
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Unix »

They told me to backup all my important data, because they'll run tests on all the components and if the hard drive fails they'll reformat it.
-Unix
My Music
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Did the same thing with my HP iPod. HP used to sell the Windows version of the iPod Photo, and mine just up and died (HDD failure) two weeks after the 1-year warranty expired. I didn't have the receipt and thought it was still covered, so I started the tech support case under the supposition I would fax the receipt to them. I found the receipt, called them up, and they said they would still do the repair free of charge, no faxing of receipt necessary.

In all, I'm pleased. And I got Americans 2/3 times I called HP, even at 3 AM EDT.