Congratulations USAers!

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Congratulations USAers!

Post by Mobius »

It seems the world can breathe a huge sigh of relief with the Democrats almost certain to gain control of Congress. I wanted to say I never lost faith in the fact that ordinary Americans would eventually see reason, and try to put a leash on the madman currently occupying the Whitehouse.

So, thanks to you all for voting Democrat, or for not voting Republican, whichever applies. And if you voted Republican, which a few people did, apparently, then, well, um, ... shame.

I was very impressed with the exit polling results showing that the most important issue facing America was considered to be Corruption (USA is listed 20th least corrupt nation, New Zealand is listed at 3rd least corrupt. Dunno how we managed that, but probably our politicians and public figures are too stupid to figure out how to diddle the system, and there's not enough money sloshing around to make it worthwhile.) and that's the signal that there's an emerging desire to clean up the political system, get the voting right, reliable and recountable, flush the soft money from politics, put severe restraints on lobby groups and generally try to get the \"U\" back in Honor.

I feel happy and confident the future history of the world just got better. :)
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Don't be so easily fooled Mobi. Trust me. The Democrats will sell us down the river just as fast as the Republicans. They will just use a different boat. I guess no one remembers the bs we endured through the Clinton shame of power. :roll:

btw, I'm a registered Democrat.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

dear Mobi,

please post this kind of commentary in the appropriate forum in the future.
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Dakatsu »

We finally have a little control! PAR-TAY!!!

Untz Untz Untz Untz!
Topher
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Topher »

Excuse me, \"American\" is not spelled \"U-S-A-e-r-s\", it's \"A-m-e-r-i-c-a-n\".
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

Duper wrote:Don't be so easily fooled Mobi. Trust me. The Democrats will sell us down the river just as fast as the Republicans. They will just use a different boat. I guess no one remembers the bs we endured through the Clinton shame of power. :roll:

btw, I'm a registered Democrat.
curiosity got the better of me on this one. Can you relay a quick synopsis on this?
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

I voted for both parties congress-wise, a Democrat senator and a Republican congresswoman. I'd like to see a more liberal congress, but not to the extent of blind partisanship.
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

Mobius, you seriously either need to move to the USA or stop being so obseswsive about the politics of the USA.

Seriously man, just....calm down and have zome dip.
Skyalmian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Skyalmian »

Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

Mobi wrote:It seems the world can breathe a huge sigh of relief with the Democrats almost certain to gain control of Congress.
You KNOW how I feel about Bush and his gang. But this result comforts me not one bit. One of the things about Bush and the republicans that frightened me most was that eventually democrats would be able to take their precedents and go further with them.

We don't have a democrat executive yet, but I'm terrified of what a democrat congress will do with the unbelievably imbalanced budged left to them by the republican congress.

Prepare to see that yes, things CAN get even worse. <sigh>
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re: Congratulations USAers!

Post by Will Robinson »

Mobius wrote:It seems the world can breathe a huge sigh of relief with the Democrats almost certain to gain control of Congress......
What exactly do you think will change for the rest of the world? They promised a plan for Iraq over two years ago...they still haven't come up with one!!
I was very impressed with the exit polling results showing that the most important issue facing America was considered to be Corruption

......and that's the signal that there's an emerging desire to clean up the political system, get the voting right, reliable and recountable, flush the soft money from politics, put severe restraints on lobby groups and generally try to get the "U" back in Honor.

Show me where the democrats are different from the republicans on the issues you singled out there and I'll share your enthusiasim, othersise I expect the status quo network has just merely shuffled their regularly scheduled programs. The shows are all the same but now they just appear on different days and/or at different times.

I'm especially anxious for you to remember your words here: "get the voting right, reliable and recountable, flush the soft money from politics, put severe restraints on lobby groups and generally try to get the "U" back in Honor."
Since the democrats have managed to promote all sorts of illegal voting, for example fighting to allow illegal aliens to vote, fighting against requiring ID's to be shown at the polling place before being able to vote, they lead the league in registering and counting dead voters, they brought soft money into a whole new level with the likes of 527 groups sponsored by the rabid leftwingers, their congressmen are just as guilty of dirty deals with lobbiests and profiting off of their powerful positions as the republicans! They have no qualms about ascribing pedophilia to all gays just to smear one gay republican...they turned sexual harrassment laws upside down to save their last president...they are the epitome of hypocrisy at every turn!

No, your assessment of the so called change you announced here is pure ignorance (you are, after all, viewing from afar not living with it every day) or worse, it's your attempt to rationalize away the obvious.

What we really saw last night is just the change of packaging from 'Less filling!' to 'Tastes great!'....but the sad truth, the elephant in the room is, the product is still the same, they are still just serving us crappy light beer!
Genghis
DBB Newbie
DBB Newbie

Post by Genghis »

I'm not sure things are as dismal as y'all are making them out to be. Conservatives still have control of the executive and legislative branches. And last I heard, the Senate was still too close to call. It could be that the only thing that changes is the House, with Republicans still controlling 3/4 of the primary government institutions.
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

The democrats basically accepted the fact that they couldn't win by running liberals against the republicans so they went out and recruited a bunch of conservative \"democrats\" to run. So the republicans were beat by pro-life, pro gun, lower taxes candidates! Sounds like the conservative are gaining seats in congress!

So does this democrat victory sound like a party that was trying to advance their ideology or a party that was willing to compromise their values to get enough members elected with a \"D\" by their name so they could be in charge of the country club again?
And this is being heralded as a mandate for change?!? Change of what? Basically a change from bullcrap to cow feces! Wow, big transistion, thanks stupid voters we really needed that! :roll:
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Will Robinson wrote:Basically a change from bullcrap to cow feces! Wow, big transistion, thanks stupid voters we really needed that! :roll:
When those are your only two options, which do you choose? Regardless of the intelligence of the voters, the only way NOT to vote for either side is to not vote at all.
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

Krom wrote: Regardless of the intelligence of the voters, the only way NOT to vote for either side is to not vote at all.
Nope. You CAN vote Libertarian, or Green, or some other third party. Yes, yes, I know, they don't have much chance of getting elected. YET. BUT, the main parties DO notice them. They are a way of getting your vote against BOTH sides COUNTED. They DO notice how many people are fed up with both parties, and they actually modify their policies to try and pull us back into the fold.

You have a bigger affect on the government by voting AGAINST it then by voting for the lesser of two evils.
TIGERassault
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TIGERassault »

I'd have to agree with some people here; the democrats are not the great party that's gonna save America as they want you to think.
However, I still think it's going to help. One reason that Bush was able to do a number of terrible actions was because the Republicans controlled both the congress and the senate.
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

I heard that the libertarian vote out numbered the margin in a few close races where the repub's lost. If so that is a great thing and proof that a third party vote isn't a waste because you can bet the repub's in those states (Montana was one I believe) will try to figure out how to bring those voters over to their side. To do that they will have to examine the differences between the repubs and the libertarians thus the voices of those who supposedly \"wasted their votes\" on a third party are suddenly heard quite well!
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

TIGERassault wrote:I'd have to agree with some people here; the democrats are not the great party that's gonna save America as they want you to think.
However, I still think it's going to help. One reason that Bush was able to do a number of terrible actions was because the Republicans controlled both the congress and the senate.
What did he do that was so terrible that the democrats didn't vote for?
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

Will Robinson wrote:the republicans were beat by pro-life, pro gun, lower taxes candidates!
... and the pro-life pro-gun lower-tax voters who voted for them are responsible for putting pro-abortion anti-gun pro-tax politicians in charge of most of the main committees in the House (senior party members get to be chairs.)
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

for what it's worth, no party had a plan for Iraq.
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re: Congratulations USAers!

Post by Top Wop »

Mobius wrote:It seems the world can breathe a huge sigh of relief with the Democrats almost certain to gain control of Congress. I wanted to say I never lost faith in the fact that ordinary Americans would eventually see reason, and try to put a leash on the madman currently occupying the Whitehouse.

So, thanks to you all for voting Democrat, or for not voting Republican, whichever applies. And if you voted Republican, which a few people did, apparently, then, well, um, ... shame.

I was very impressed with the exit polling results showing that the most important issue facing America was considered to be Corruption (USA is listed 20th least corrupt nation, New Zealand is listed at 3rd least corrupt. Dunno how we managed that, but probably our politicians and public figures are too stupid to figure out how to diddle the system, and there's not enough money sloshing around to make it worthwhile.) and that's the signal that there's an emerging desire to clean up the political system, get the voting right, reliable and recountable, flush the soft money from politics, put severe restraints on lobby groups and generally try to get the "U" back in Honor.

Mobius perfectly demonstrates how ignorance is bliss. Congrats.
Repo Man
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Repo Man »

Mobius wrote:I feel happy and confident the future history of the world just got better.
I have news for you Mobi, history has unequivocally shown that the appeasement of your enemies will always bring about even more war and bloodshed than before. The left won the elections in Spain after the bombings in Madrid. What did it get the Spaniards? More bombings of course!

"The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -- Theodore Roosevelt

I wonder how long it will take for the Dems to start impeachment proceedings against Dubya?
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

Lothar wrote:
Will Robinson wrote:the republicans were beat by pro-life, pro gun, lower taxes candidates!
... and the pro-life pro-gun lower-tax voters who voted for them are responsible for putting pro-abortion anti-gun pro-tax politicians in charge of most of the main committees in the House (senior party members get to be chairs.)
That's a function of the good old boy system so don't blame us for the problems that arise from the rest of you guys voting for the lesser of two evils because you're afraid to suffer any loss in the process of changing things! We didn't waste our votes, you wasted them by chickening out! ;)
Zuruck
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Zuruck »

Not soon enough Repo...not soon enough.

As for me...I think I'm just about done on this bb. For the life of me, I didn't realize that .com was still around...the guys that I truly enjoyed talking to on this board all seem to be there. Have fun with it...hopefully d.icks like Lothar will stay on this board.

Have fun kids. It was nice.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

Kilarin wrote:Nope. You CAN vote Libertarian, or Green, or some other third party.
Not always true. On my ballot, there only appeared one Green, one independent, and one write-in field. And that's out of all offices. I don't know how it's done elsewhere, but according to NM law, the write-in field is only printed if there is a declared write-in candidate. So there was really little to no choice to vote third-party.
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

Zuruck wrote:Have fun kids. It was nice.
If I may quote my favorite fictional character, Josie Wales.
"A man's got to know his limitations"
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

Kilarin wrote:Nope. You CAN vote Libertarian, or Green, or some other third party. Yes, yes, I know, they don't have much chance of getting elected. YET. BUT, the main parties DO notice them.
Actually, there wheren't any libertarians on my ballot, otherwise I would have voted for them.

Yesterday frustrated me because when we really boil things down, no one is actually trying to represent us anymore, they just try to trick us into voting for them by pointing out the negative aspects of their opposition's political careers.
Repo Man
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Repo Man »

Zuruck wrote:Have fun kids. It was nice.
See ya in the funny papers, Zuruck.
Repo Man
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Repo Man »

Will Robinson wrote:[D]on't blame us for the problems that arise from the rest of you guys voting for the lesser of two evils because you're afraid to suffer any loss in the process of changing things! We didn't waste our votes, you wasted them by chickening out! ;)
Well, it looks like the voters chose the greater of two evils this time.

Dubya should see a bright side to this for himself: with the Dems in power, his so-called immigration reform ought to just sail right through congress now. We'll be hip deep in illegal aliens and the reconquista of the southwest will be complete.

No hablamos Inglés, hablamos Español aqui.
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

Jeff250 wrote:So there was really little to no choice to vote third-party.
snoopy wrote: there wheren't any libertarians on my ballot
Thats too bad. In Texas we have pretty good Libertarian coverage. Didn't have an option for every local office, but they covered most of them.
Birdseye
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Birdseye »

Dear Mobi,

When the Republicans became war hungry unnecessarily, the democrats pussied out afraid they'd be labelled unpatriotic (which for not taking a stand is what they really are)

When the Republicans pushed the Patriot Act, the democracts bowed and agreed.

As far as I can tell Democrats had ample opportunity to put the brakes on many of the worst things Bush has done, but caved due to political pressure.

How does voting for a democrat help me? When it came down to it in crunch time, they failed.

That's a function of the good old boy system so don't blame us for the problems that arise from the rest of you guys voting for the lesser of two evils because you're afraid to suffer any loss in the process of changing things! We didn't waste our votes, you wasted them by chickening out!
Awesome quote Will. You and I are attempting to start the ball rolling against the current paradigm. Others with their weak \"pragmatic\" voting, will continue to aid the current pathetic system. I voted Libertarian yesterday across the board except when I couldn't (and no 3rd was offered) I voted for one democrat (house rep) and one republican (state assembly).

My main issues are the size of government, subsidies to major corporations, foreign wars, and civil rights. All of these Libertarian candidates are outstanding on.

You lose when you vote Demopublican. Are a handful of issues (abortion, gays, gun control) where they differ really worth voting for \"the lesser of 2 evils\" ?
Birdseye
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Birdseye »

So does this democrat victory sound like a party that was trying to advance their ideology or a party that was willing to compromise their values to get enough members elected with a \"D\" by their name so they could be in charge of the country club again?
What we really saw last night is just the change of packaging from 'Less filling!' to 'Tastes great!'....but the sad truth, the elephant in the room is, the product is still the same, they are still just serving us crappy light beer!
Posts of the Month
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

snoopy wrote: Yesterday frustrated me because when we really boil things down, no one is actually trying to represent us anymore, they just try to trick us into voting for them by pointing out the negative aspects of their opposition's political careers.
x2
Firewheel
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Firewheel »

There were plenty of Libertarians on the Georgia ballot. If I knew so many were going to be on there, I might have researched them more. Fortunately, most of the guys I voted for are pretty decent, so I voted with a clean conscious, at least.

I don't like the Libertarian stance on some social issue, but they seem like the only ones who have a chance at fixing the gov't... or, at least, influence the other parties to get things straight.
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Post by CUDA »

Zuruck wrote: Have fun kids. It was nice.
and I've been telling you guys all these years but you didn't believe me. there is a God :P
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” 

― Theodore Roosevelt
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

The only thing I can see is things will slow down a little, but won't stop.

Things will only grind to a halt when \"We The People\" get on their cases in a big way, instead of thinking 'the other guy will handle it'.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Ferno wrote:The only thing I can see is things will slow down a little, but won't stop.

Things will only grind to a halt when "We The People" get on their cases in a big way, instead of thinking 'the other guy will handle it'.
x2
well said Ferno.