Mean looking caddy.

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Mr. Perfect
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Mean looking caddy.

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Was putzing around the Cadillac site, when I came across this concept. Looks pretty mean(although the rims are complete ass). Of course as soon as you notice the V16 you realize that about 1% of the populace will be able to afford the thing...
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

That is one fugly car.
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

I thought the V12 quad turbo for a Cadillac was insane. Me Four 12 I think they called it but damn a V16. That is one car I will not see any time soon.
Tetrad
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re: Mean looking caddy.

Post by Tetrad »

Mr. Perfect wrote:about 1% of the populace will be able to afford the thing...
Bruce Wayne looks like a perfect candidate to me.
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

1000 horsepower? What does someone need with a 1000 hp car? Someone could get injured in that thing. I think we should ban it.
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

At least it's undeniably American - and it's not as ugly as THE VAST MAJORITY of US-made cars. :P

However, if you want 16 cylinders, you don't want a V16, you want a W16. :) 2 x narrow-angle V8s built together as appears in the Bugatti Veyron.

1000 Nm of Torque. Over 1000 HP. Top speed 400+ Kmh. :)
Tricord
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tricord »

I have my doubts about the durability of this engine. It has the length of 8 cylinders, therefore a very long crank, which is not good in terms of regidity and end-to-end vibrations (an inline eight is not completely naturally balanced).

The idea to throw in a ridicule amount of cylinders en then disabling them most of the time anyway is typical american.

I have more faith in that quad-turbo V12 engine. It has the displacement on demand feature inherently, because if you don't accelerate, the turbo's won't spool and will push less air in the engine, thereby reducing the displacement. Under full load, the turbo's will force more air into the cylinders by making it more dense, so the displacement increases. Naturally aspirated engines cannot suck in more air than their total displacement, engines with forced induction can.
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

Anyone remember the fictional El-Nino from the Need for Speed series? Well, this car KINDA reminds me of it.

Kinda.
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

[NuB] Dedman wrote:1000 horsepower? What does someone need with a 1000 hp car? Someone could get injured in that thing. I think we should ban it.
not to mention the US Already has HP Limits on just abvout every road in the CONUS, Hawaii and Alaska. IIRC its ~ 500-550 HP
Tricord
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tricord »

What's the weight of that car?
The bigger the car, the heavier it is, the bigger the engine you need, the heavier the car becomes, etc...

Why not keep it small for once?
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

Tricord wrote:What's the weight of that car?
http://www.cadillac.com/cadillacjsp/mod ... el=sixteen
The bigger the car, the heavier it is, the bigger the engine you need, the heavier the car becomes, etc...

Why not keep it small for once?
Because it's a "big heavy Caddy with a big engine" concept. Keeping it small just doesn't make sense. If you want a small car, don't buy a Caddy.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Guys, you do realize that this car was just a concept, right? As far as I know, Cadillac has no plans whatsoever for putting it into production. That being said, though, could you even imagine driving one? >:)

P.S. That XLR looks pretty hot, too :D.
Santrix
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Santrix »

It was a concept in the 2003 autoshows, it's old news now.
ccb056
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by ccb056 »

horsepower doesnt mean sh!t, its the horsepower to weight ratios that mean something, and then again, torque is more important than hp
Fusion pimp
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Fusion pimp »

It has the displacement on demand feature inherently, because if you don't accelerate, the turbo's won't spool and will push less air in the engine, thereby reducing the displacement. Under full load, the turbo's will force more air into the cylinders by making it more dense, so the displacement increases. Naturally aspirated engines cannot suck in more air than their total displacement, engines with forced induction can.

A turbo/blower does not increase displacement.

CCB is right on.

B-
ccb056
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by ccb056 »

I was under the impression that a turbo would increase displacement based on the fact that the gas/oxygen is compressed in the cylinders before igniting, therefore there would be more mass in the cylinders, more mass would mean more displacement, right?
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

no, displacement is the physical dimensions of the cylinder itself. when you use a turbo/blower you make the fuel/air ratio "think" its in a bigger displaced cylinder, but its really not, its just squeezed into the same cylinder.

besides if they do roll that caddy out, DMV wont allow it to have the full HP it can pack. a new Bugatti rolled out from europe packing a whooping 1800 HP in a "W" 16, a engine comprised of dual "V" Banks, with quad turbos ( 1 turbo per 4 cylinders ) but when Bugatti marketed the car over here in the US the DMV restricted its HP down to ~ 500HP or so
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

[NuB] Dedman wrote:1000 horsepower? What does someone need with a 1000 hp car? Someone could get injured in that thing. I think we should ban it.
Well, you could always take that engine and drop it into a Delorian. :mrgreen: You'd hit 88mph with no problem. :lol:
Fusion pimp
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Fusion pimp »

CCB, Ace is correct(pretty much)
Really all you're doing is raising cyl. pressure/compression.

B-
Sting_Ray
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Sting_Ray »

Wrong. There is STILL the same amount of physical SPACE displaced by the pistons... Regardless the compressin ratio.

You can pack 75 cubic inches of air in to a 75CID engine, but you can also compress 150 cubic inches of air into that same 75 cubic inch cylinder. The displacement referrs to how much physical space is inside the combustion chambers. The compression ratio is the number that should have been used. The higher pressure and volume of air going in to the cylinder will cause the the piston to compress an already compressed air charge... therefore a higher theoretical compression ratio. Say you're running a 7 PSI boost to an already 8:1 engine. You will theoretically get a 9:1 compression ratio at max boost/volume (compressor overhead, A/R, and engine inefficencies aside).

I use the term THEORETICAL, because that's only a small portion (and a REALLY watered down explanation)of what happens with a turbo/supercharger set up. Most of the power gains are due to a larger and colder fuel/air charge. Actual compression ratios and displacent can't be adjusted on the fly with today's technology.

And yeah... caddie's have ALWAYS been ridiculously large, with even more ridiculously large engines. It's just the nature of the beast. If a caddy connoseur wanted a small sporty car, he would buy a small sporty car.

[EDIT] Thanks to my slow typing skillz, 3 more posts came before I finished this. This was referring to CCB's question [/EDIT]
ccb056
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by ccb056 »

or you could put a flux capacitor in a delorean and go back to the future

or get a Lotus Elise and you'd wipe the floor with the Caddy
Sting_Ray
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Sting_Ray »

Dude, the elise is a piece of crap.

It's a girls car.
ccb056
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by ccb056 »

0 to 60 in under 5 seconds with a stock 4 banger no turbo is not crap
Sting_Ray
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Sting_Ray »

But it just SCREAMS "homosexual" :)

If you want a lotus... get an Esprit.
Black Widow
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Black Widow »

Jaguar-XKR 0wnz all :D
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

Escudo Pikes Peak version. :)
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Sting_Ray wrote:But it just SCREAMS "homosexual" :)

If you want a lotus... get an Esprit.
And has a girls name. :D