Iraq = Vietnam

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

TIGERassault
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TIGERassault »

Well, if you really want my opinion on what you said,
It's rubbish! It's all based along your own opinions, without any known backup on that your ideas would work!
But obviously that's not gonna make you change your mind. Which is why I didn't bother to say it.
Will Robinson wrote:Well if you call a 12 year ramp up for war charging in.... :roll:
Yes.
Will Robinson wrote:Basically you haven't addressed anything I said instead you site some opinion poll as evidence we went against the will of people. You might want to check with how the peoples representatives voted, you'd find that almost every one was in favor of the war. And even after it was discovered the WMD's were gone the majority still said it was the right thing to do.
Yeah; somehow, just somehow, I get the vague impression that what the people want shows what the people want more than what a handful of elected men want.
Besides, with the exception of a single link, you didn't comment on anything I said either.
Will Robinson wrote:How about tell me your own opinion of what would have happened if the same members who voted to enforce the resolutions had started moving troops and equipment towards Saddams border.
Military wise, the same as what did happen. America didn't send in the power of it's full army, and neither would an alliance army.
Will Robinson wrote:Do you think he would have stood stuborn if he didn't have the French and the Russians telling him "Don't worry Saddam, we won't let the U.N. go through with the enforcement" even though in their capacity as Security Council members they voted for that very outcome?
Yes, actually. I don't see a man with huge power giving up his life that easily!
Will Robinson wrote:...but so far all you bring is BS political rhetoric!
If you keep ignoring the truth, then all we can do is keep repeating it until you do pay attention to it.
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

TIGERassault wrote:
Will Robinson wrote:Well if you call a 12 year ramp up for war charging in.... :roll:
Yes.
This speaks for itself but I'll play along using your logic.
So, if you want us out of Iraq in a rush then it sounds like a 12 year withdraw is OK with you, right?
TIGERassault wrote:
Will Robinson wrote:Basically you haven't addressed anything I said instead you site some opinion poll as evidence we went against the will of people. You might want to check with how the peoples representatives voted, you'd find that almost every one was in favor of the war. And even after it was discovered the WMD's were gone the majority still said it was the right thing to do.
Yeah; somehow, just somehow, I get the vague impression that what the people want shows what the people want more than what a handful of elected men want.
You obviously don't understand how a representative republic works.
TIGERassault wrote:Besides, with the exception of a single link, you didn't comment on anything I said either.
Yes I did. I told you it was irrelevant and suggested you get back on topic.
TIGERassault wrote:
Will Robinson wrote:How about tell me your own opinion of what would have happened if the same members who voted to enforce the resolutions had started moving troops and equipment towards Saddams border.
Military wise, the same as what did happen. America didn't send in the power of it's full army, and neither would an alliance army.
If the rest of the countries that voted for the resolutions also showed up with their military might (regardless of what percentage of their total force) then Saddam would have definitely given in! evidencxe of that was he tried to give in at the last minute but since it was a U.S./Great Britian gig, not a U.N. gig Bush ignored it because he didn't want Saddam to be able to play that game! If it had been a bonafide U.N. gig Bush would have had no choice but to let the collective body decide Saddams fate.
TIGERassault wrote:
Will Robinson wrote:Do you think he would have stood stuborn if he didn't have the French and the Russians telling him "Don't worry Saddam, we won't let the U.N. go through with the enforcement" even though in their capacity as Security Council members they voted for that very outcome?
Yes, actually. I don't see a man with huge power giving up his life that easily!
You got it very wrong in assuming Saddam was going to "give up his life" if he gave in to the U.N. Security Council demands! If he gave in he would be the president of Iraq today! The resolutions didn't say we will kill him, they said he must disclose the WMD info or we will come in there by force. He could easily stand by while we search the place and there is no way Bush could have had him killed!
Once again I have to wonder if you are really that obtuse or you just spout off the first thing contrary that you can muster.
Ford Prefect
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Ford Prefect »

Will I object to your focus on the UN failure to rein in Saddam. You are trying to redirect criticism of the US by blaming the ones that tried to prevent them from making the mistake in the first place. There are a whole lot of much more rotten fish in the sea than Saddam. Yes the UN did not do enough about Saddam or Kim Jung Il or the whole mess in Dafur or the sad slaughter of the inoccents in Rwanda or... well it is a long list.

Why all of a sudden was it Damn Saddam that was top of the charts in America? WMDs? Ties to Al Qaida? What made stomping Saddam's country back into the stone age the most important thing on the US agenda? Poor poll numbers? A need to please the US populace by looking tough? Bombs getting stale in storage?

Calling it a failure for the UN not to jump in destroy a country that was run by a despot but who's citizens were at least able to walk the streets in safety is not much of a condemnation. More like evidence that the UN was right not to push too hard since the medicine seems to have done more harm to the patient than the disease.

There has been no enforcement of the UN resolutions passed to force Israel back to it's pre '67 borders either. And it is not France preventing that.

Smashing Iraq into dispair and civil war helped no one but a few US politicians and the suppliers of weapons. Little wonder there was so little support for it in the rest of the world.
Clothes may make the man
But all a girl needs is a tan

-The Producers
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

Ford Prefect wrote:Why all of a sudden was it Damn Saddam that was top of the charts in America? WMDs? Ties to Al Qaida? What made stomping Saddam's country back into the stone age the most important thing on the US agenda?...
The point is no one would have had to bombed into the stone age and Saddam could have been held accountable all they had to do was enforce the law they laid down.
The reason I mention it isn't to say their corrupt negligence is the biggest failure in the area but to point out that the U.S. and Great Britian did what the whole Council decided needed to be done. So they own the mess just as much as we do and no one ever talks about that!
If they had said upfront "No, we won't vote for enforcement" then you would have a point but instead they voted to enforce then stood in line for bribes and now the blood is on their hands as much as it is ours because it is pretty damn certain that Saddam would have caved in before the first bomb was dropped!
That to me is an important distinction. I hear all this condemnation of the U.S butressed by the benifit of hindsight...well if we're going to go Monday morning quarterbacking lets review the whole team!
Birdseye
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Birdseye »

i agree with ford here, its almost like will you have too much pride in your country to admit we were absolutely and totally off base on this one. we blew it.

we set a precident of pre-emptive strike on a country that posed no threat to us. this was a sad day in american history. meanwhile, north korea continued to build nukes. who was the real threat?

saddam was a tiny, sad little man. There were plenty of significantly more dangerous countries. We didnt' attack them because it would have been a real militaristic struggle.

I don't completely like the vietnam parallel, though you can make some useful analogies. I'll avoid it for sake of shifting the argument to an unuseful place.

here are my non-vietnam related points:

- the strongest country in the world can beat any military, and some easily
- the strongest military in the world is not what can necessarily rebuild a nation into a democracy

I saw both of these points coming, and so did George's dad. if you want to go retrospect on us-iraq policy, we blew it by not finishing of the republican guard during gulf war 1 and aiding the revolution attempt. but even years later, saddam was a sad little man with no weapons to threaten us. no ties to terrorist plots against us. this was a bad war. this will be seen as one of the great historical blunders, a country exploding with egotism believing it can do anything.

can you think of ways to spend a few hundred billion dollars here to save a few hundred thousand lives? I sure can. instead we used a few hundred billion dollars and gained no safety. complete, and utter inefficiency; a classic case of government failure.

and the public just went along with it. waved the flag, rah rah. believed rumsfeld when he showed grainy blobs of nothing and called it 'intelligence' and that he 'knew' where the weapons were. and yet many here on this board still don't feel mislead, much less that it was a mistake. what we have left are people strugglging to hold on to their viewpoint, despite the mounting evidence that we had no business there. it's too hard to admit that not only the president was wrong, but that we've wasted a giant pile of money while blowing up any good relations we had with most of the world.

it won't be until the current generation dies and the next generations, unbiased or polarized by debate, will be able to see this for what it really was:

a complete and utter counterproductive failure.
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

I understand your perspective but I find some good in it so for me it wasn't a total waste.

In my mind we should have taken Saddam by the throat and forced our way in before 9/11 so in the wake of 9/11 it makes perfect sense to go in and see what's where since he wouldn't comply.
In the larger plan of democracy building I always said it's like hitting on 17 when the dealer shows 20. You might not win but really the benefits are worth a try since you're already going to be in there anyway.

You on the other hand wouldn't have had us in there apparently so of course going to war only for democracy building isn't worth the loss of life. If I didn't think we needed to go in there to inventory his arsenal I'd share your view.

If we suddenly negotiate with the new government of Iraq that we get to put an uber-base out there in the desert for decades to come in exchange for backing out of their daily lives no matter who runs the government I say that alone is worth it. Kind of like Guantanamo is right there in Cuba I'd love to see a giant self sustaining military airbase right there within striking distance of Syria and Iran.

I used to think that was their goal but now I don't believe they will do it and Bush has mis-managed the public relations front of the war so poorly you could never pull of a deal like that so now I wish we had left as soon as we knew Saddam was neutered, in fact I wish they left him in power! Someone has to keep a boot on the necks of those Shiia dogs and Bush doesn't have balls to set up a new Saddam so an old Saddam who knows we're his daddy again would be second best.

You see I'm totally divorced from the notion that our planet is any where near ready for world peace.
We're just moving into the playoffs, narrowing the field of major players down to see who's going to ultimately win the big one and get to write the world rule book and I'm unabashedly in favor of my tribe winning that battle and think any attempt to live in peace before you have that locked up is way more counter productive than the fallout from Bush's piss poor managing this little skirmish.

I know my tribes place on the food chain and understand just how precarious it is.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

I have one question for you will.. do you believe that if Saddam was removed before the current war, 9/11 would have never occured?
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

Ferno wrote:I have one question for you will.. do you believe that if Saddam was removed before the current war, 9/11 would have never occured?
No, but I also was complaining that he was getting away with stonewalling the inspection process and we should go in with force long before 9/11.

Saddam being forced to comply is justified without anything to do with 9/11.
9/11 just makes it a little more important.
If the Security Council had gone through with the enforcement it would have been a minor story and no war!!! That is an important point!

He was a minor blip on the radar on the WOT radar screen. The post 9/11 atmosphere simply made it even more unwise to let even a minor player like him continue his games.
In addition to his past help he had given to terrorists and his continued financing suicide bombers there was a real chance that he could supply a future attack on us in some capacity. Why leave him alone when there are strategic reasons for slapping him down?

It's the mis-management of the whole thing that turned it into a giant crisis not the original intent of making him comply!
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

Saddam didn't let them in because he had nothing to hide. it became self-evident when the invasion happened and no one found any WMD. Also, Saddam dismantled his stuff shortly after the first gulf war.

What about a major player.. like N. Korea? should the US invade them too, seeing as they DO have WMD?
In addition to his past help he had given to terrorists and his continued financing suicide bombers there was a real chance that he could supply a future attack on us in some capacity.
you still believe that? *shakes head*
Why leave him alone when there are strategic reasons for slapping him down?
there's the truth right there. Strategic reasons. like having a place that's strategically ideal for striking at other countries..

I have nothing more to say at this point.
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

Ferno wrote:Saddam didn't let them in because he had nothing to hide. it became self-evident when the invasion happened and no one found any WMD.
No he didn't let them in because he didn't want the world to know what he did, and didn't, have.
And you are correct that we only found out for sure what he did and didn't have by way of going in there by force. This is backed up by Hans Blix and the other inspection authorities whether or not you want to believe it or not.

Ferno wrote:What about a major player.. like N. Korea? should the US invade them too, seeing as they DO have WMD?
We've already discussed the vast differences between Saddam who was in violation of cease fire agreements and U.N. Resolutions and North Korea a country that is poised to destroy Seoul S. Korea with just her conventional weapons alone inside of a few hours if we were to attack...

So even if we wanted to it would be a very different situation than attacking Saddam who wasn't able to strike our allies in such a devastating fashion. Not to mention that we don't have any political justification for attacking N. Korea without the U.N. resolutions...
Ferno wrote:
In addition to his past help he had given to terrorists and his continued financing suicide bombers there was a real chance that he could supply a future attack on us in some capacity.
you still believe that? *shakes head*
Yes, because everyone including Hillary Clinton, Al Gore, an every other representative told me so. In fact John Kerry even said that anyone who doesn't believe it shouldn't vote for him!
What evidence do you have that Saddam didn't do those things?

Ferno wrote:I have nothing more to say at this point.
Why?.
Palzon
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Palzon »

triple post, woot!
Palzon
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Palzon »

I'm glad this thread was ressurected because I'm not done with it, not by a long shot. I'd like to reply to some of Will's newest comments, but there's something else that needs to be said first. I make no apologies for the length of this post. I'm sorry to report that it is filled with facts, which I know are not very popular around here.

The main thing I came back here for was to tell Lothar that he is the one who owes the apology. Lothar, you accused me of hitting you with a string of insults. What I actually did was hit you with a string of facts. See, I'll apologize to you when this whole "stay the course" thing turns Iraq around from the steaming quagmire it has become (gee, where have I heard that quagmire word before?). In the meantime, I submit that it is you, Lothar, who owes the apology. Not to me. But to everyone in this forum to whom you have peddled the kind of stinking crap in this thread that you try to pass off as reasoned opinion. To everyone in this country who was duped by rubbish being peddled by the current administration you owe an apology, for denying the truth of the situation, and putting down those who questioned what was happening. So take that string of "insults", ignore the content, and stick it where the sun don't shine. It's better that than the string of American and Iraqi corpses and mangled bodies that should haunt your days as the shocking incompetence of the administration in Iraq becomes more apparent.

I've read the ISG Study. Read every word. Frankly, even I am shocked and I was already convinced of how bad things were. By reading the ISG Study I was actually taking Lothar's advice, truly; to only listen to people who have been over there, the one's who really know what's going on. The ISG Report indicates plainly that the situation in Iraq is deteriorating, and the report does so in terms that are totally restrained, understated even. What you find when you read that report is that the country is in a chaotic state that threatens total breakdown. What you find in the report is that things are worse than has been reported in the media.

So let's take a look at the ISG Report and lay bare Lothar's deception and show why he should not be believed on Iraq. Just keep in mind that these excerpts from the ISG Report only scratch the surface.
ISG Report wrote:...In addition, there is significant underreporting of the violence in Iraq. The standard for recording attacks acts as a filter to keep events out of reports and databases. A murder of an Iraqi is not necessarily counted as an attack. If we cannot determine the source of a sectarian attack, that assault does not make it into the database. A roadside bomb or a rocket or mortar attack that doesn’t hurt U.S. personnel doesn’t count. For example, on one day in July 2006 there were 93 attacks or significant acts of violence reported. Yet a careful review of the reports for that single day brought to light 1,100 acts of violence. Good policy is difficult to make when information is systematically collected in a way that minimizes its discrepancy with policy
goals
The media couldn't possibly inject enough liberal bias into their reporting to compensate for such outright deception by the administration. Lothar should not be trusted on Iraq because he parots the administrations lies and deception. When shown in the light of truth it illustrates the utter incompetence that has plagued the entire expedition from the start. It's not even so much that the strategy has failed; setbacks are expected in war. The real travesty is that there was no acknowledgement that errors were made and new direction needed. There was no comprehensive strategy in place to absorb the damage caused by setbacks. Further, there was no contingency planning to respond to the setbacks! There was just Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld, oh and the Lothars of the world to belittle us for doubting them. All we got was a new slogan every so often. Here's a slogan for ya: same sh!t, different package.

Here is another example of just how great the strategy in Iraq has been working:
ISG Report wrote:Violence in Baghdad—already at high levels—jumped more than 43 percent
between the summer and October 2006. U.S. forces continue to suffer high casualties. Perpetrators of violence leave neighborhoods in advance of security sweeps, only to filter back later. Iraqi police have
been unable or unwilling to stop such infiltration and continuing violence. The Iraqi Army has provided only two out of the six battalions that it promised in August would join American forces in Baghdad. The Iraqi government has rejected sustained security operations in Sadr City.

Security efforts will fail unless the Iraqis have both the capability to hold areas that
have been cleared and the will to clear neighborhoods that are home to Shiite militias.
U.S. forces can “clear” any neighborhood, but there are neither enough U.S. troops present
nor enough support from Iraqi security forces to “hold” neighborhoods so cleared. The
same holds true for the rest of Iraq. Because none of the operations conducted by U.S. and
Iraqi military forces are fundamentally changing the conditions encouraging the sectarian
violence, U.S. forces seem to be caught in a mission that has no foreseeable end
No foreseeable end! Tell ya what, Lothar...you go over there and fight for Bush please. Your children can join you at your side in 18 years and they can join the fight too. At this rate there will be plenty of need for soldiers to die for nothing over there in Iraq or wherever such pinheaded thinking governs strategy. Oh well, what's 24,000 casualties when we have a good Christian anti-abortion, fag-oppressing President, right?

There are worse things than having our dudes die for nothing in Iraq when we leave it in total disarray (or worse, arrayed against us!). Try this:
ISG Report wrote:Terrorism could grow. As one Iraqi official told us, “Al Qaeda is now a franchise in Iraq,
like McDonald’s.” Left unchecked, al Qaeda in Iraq could continue to incite violence between
Sunnis and Shia. A chaotic Iraq could provide a still stronger base of operations for terrorists
who seek to act regionally or even globally. Al Qaeda will portray any failure by the United
States in Iraq as a significant victory that will be featured prominently as they recruit for their
cause in the region and around the world
. Ayman al-Zawahiri, deputy to Osama bin Laden, has
declared Iraq a focus for al Qaeda: they will seek to expel the Americans and then spread “the
jihad wave to the secular countries neighboring Iraq.” A senior European official told us that
failure in Iraq could incite terrorist attacks within his country.

The global standing of the United States could suffer if Iraq descends further into chaos.
Iraq is a major test of, and strain on, U.S. military, diplomatic, and financial capacities.
Perceived failure there could diminish America’s credibility and influence in a region that is the
center of the Islamic world and vital to the world’s energy supply. This loss would reduce
America’s global influence at a time when pressing issues in North Korea, Iran, and elsewhere
demand our full attention and strong U.S. leadership of international alliances
. And the longer
that U.S. political and military resources are tied down in Iraq, the more the chances for
American failure in Afghanistan increase.
oh, ★■◆●....

Now not only do we fail our mission in Iraq, but having done so, terrorism is now a bigger problem, and meanwhile, we lose credibility and influence throughout the world. Perfect!

Let's change gears slightly...What did Osama think he would gain by the 9-11 attacks? What did Osama think would be the U.S. response? Hell, the U.S. was isolationist pre-WWII and we still whoopassed Japan after Pearl Harbor. He had to know we would respond militarily. What if he was counting on it? What if he was counting on just the type of outcome unfolding before us today? What if in our short-sightedness we have played right into his hands. Would that surprise any of you? Would you dismiss it out of hand?

I don't. Read the following...
ISG Report wrote:We recognize that there are other results of the war in Iraq that have great consequence for our
nation. One consequence has been the stress and uncertainty imposed on our military—the most
professional and proficient military in history. The United States will need its military to
protect U.S. security regardless of what happens in Iraq. We therefore considered how to limit
the adverse consequences of the strain imposed on our military by the Iraq war.

U.S. military forces, especially our ground forces, have been stretched nearly to the
breaking point by the repeated deployments in Iraq, with attendant casualties (almost 3,000 dead
and more than 21,000 wounded), greater difficulty in recruiting, and accelerated wear on
equipment.

Additionally, the defense budget as a whole is in danger of disarray, as supplemental
funding winds down and reset costs become clear. It will be a major challenge to meet ongoing
requirements for other current and future security threats that need to be accommodated together
with spending for operations and maintenance, reset, personnel, and benefits for active duty and
retired personnel. Restoring the capability of our military forces should be a high priority for the
United States at this time.
Also,
ISG Report wrote:...the United States faces other security dangers in the world,
and a continuing Iraqi commitment of American ground forces at present levels will leave no
reserve available to meet other contingencies. On September 7, 2006, General James Jones, our
NATO commander, called for more troops in Afghanistan, where U.S. and NATO forces are
fighting a resurgence of al Qaeda and Taliban forces. The United States should respond
positively to that request, and be prepared for other security contingencies, including those in
Iran and North Korea.

Second, the long-term commitment of American ground forces to Iraq at current levels is
adversely affecting Army readiness, with less than a third of the Army units currently at high
readiness levels. The Army is unlikely to be able to meet the next rotation of troops in Iraq
without undesirable changes in its deployment practices. The Army is now considering breaking
its compact with the National Guard and Reserves that limits the number of years that these
citizen-soldiers can be deployed. Behind this short-term strain is the longer-term risk that the
ground forces will be impaired in ways that will take years to reverse.
Our Army buckling under the strain of Iraq. Questionable readiness to address security problems outside Iraq. Our military capability in need of restoration. Sounds like the best Al Quaeda could have hoped for. Could they have foreseen this? Why didn't we when three years ago on this very board I sounded the alarm that the administration was demonstrating incomepetenece on Iraq. The outcome of my modest claims for oversight? I was dismissed by all the little Lothars and sometimes belittled for questioning the administration. The current failure in Iraq couldn't have happened without such servile devotion to spreading administration propaganda at the grass roots level.

But back to the report...One of the conclusions of the report was that American policy failed on a basic level to establish diplomatic efforts in the region. Intelligence gathering was also criticized - not the pre-invasion stuff that no one even disputes any more, but the current intelligence on the ground in Iraq! Surely by now we must have ample civilian and military experts working with Iraqis to reign in all these problems?

Nope.
ISG Report wrote:All of our efforts in Iraq, military and civilian, are handicapped by Americans’ lack of
language and cultural understanding. Our embassy of 1,000 has 33 Arabic speakers, just six of
whom are at the level of fluency
. In a conflict that demands effective and efficient communication
with Iraqis, we are often at a disadvantage. There are still far too few Arab language– proficient
military and civilian officers in Iraq, to the detriment of the U.S. mission...

A senior commander told us that human intelligence in Iraq has improved from 10 percent
to 30 percent. Clearly, U.S. intelligence agencies can and must do better. As mentioned above,
an essential part of better intelligence must be improved language and cultural skills. As an
intelligence analyst told us, “We rely too much on others to bring information to us, and too
often don’t understand what is reported back because we do not understand the context of what
we are told.”

The Defense Department and the intelligence community have not invested sufficient -people
and resources to understand the political and military threat to American men and women
in the armed forces. Congress has appropriated almost $2 billion this year for countermeasures to
protect our troops in Iraq against improvised explosive devices, but the administration has not
put forward a request to invest comparable resources in trying to understand the people who
fabricate, plant, and explode those devices.
There is currently poor intelligence in Iraq? Not too shocking when you consider that's what landed us there in the first place!

It's time that we started fighting Al Qaeda with some sense. This administration has so far treated the war on terror in an analgous way to the major powers approach to the First World War. Over the top of the trench with everyone and straight into the machine guns! I'm not referring to casualties or necessarily to tactics on the battlefield. I'm referring to the way that in WWI, life (and effort) was wasted when it was so clear that it served no purpose. Yet those in power refused to think differently. They refused to consider tactics outside their preconceived plans (the German's own Schlieffen plan dated back originally to the 1890's). In the modern day it is as if Bush, Cheney and Rumsfeld are treating Al Qaeda as if they were the same type of enemy we have faced in past conflicts, to be frontally assaulted regardless of the evidence that a more subtle, nuanced approach is required.

The recommendations of the ISG should be reviewed and largely adopted. Beyond that, the true spirit of America requires that each of us demand better from our representatives. We need to demand inquiry into what has happened and oversight of what is to come.
Palzon
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Palzon »

look, ma, no hands!
Palzon
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Palzon »

Funny. A year or two ago I would have been derisively called a liberal, but now nobody wants to defend this administration. And why should they?

Will, you are one of the only conservative on this board worthy of respect. You were the only one to say in the past that the end justified the means in Iraq. Everyone else acted like I was out of my mind when I talked about mismanagement of Iraq, intelligence failures, and foreign policy in general. You straightforwardly did not care if we muffed the prewar stuff.

i paraphrase: \"saddam can only pose a risk in the future. he'll never be an ally or even a stable, trustworthy guy, so even if we had the pre-war intel wrong, so what? we already have a basis for war because he violated the U.N. resolutions. the world is a better place with saddam gone\".

I wonder how strongly you would defend that notion today? saddam is gone, yes. but if you read the excerpts above from the ISG report, a stark picture appears. I do believe you would be honest though, which I can't say for others here. I say to you: we are weaker today than we were before going to war with saddam. our military was stronger and more capable. our resources were better. our ability to deter our enemies has been diminished. I could grant you that had we pulled it off right, the end would have justified the means. but we didn't pull it off. it's been botched from the beginning. This is far from a desirable outcome.

Will, you are off the hook with me whether you try to answer or not.

but not all of you.

three years or so i ago i posted that it appeared there was a problem with our prewar intel or the use thereof. At the time, my concern was that the intelligence failure represented a real problem, not necessarily in and of itself, but because where there's smoke there's fire; where there is one problem there may be more. Not only would no one here grant this to be true, but most denied this modest suggestion was even reasonable. A laughable contention now.

There has been no mention of the ISG report on this board. It wasn't even news here. Of course Woodchip was always around to post a headline any time a Clinton breaks wind, but no one seems to have time now for real news like say...the ISG Report!

Interesting how E&C altogether has been grinding to a halt as the situation for the administration worsens. Even Woodchip has stopped posting White House press briefings. Woodchip is honest, though. And he wears on his sleeve his reasons for believing as he does.

Lothar you can talk a good game about listening to the people who know, listening to the one's who've been over there...but when push comes to shove I don't believe you care about that. Like Tiger indicated, you ignore the truth when it suits you.

When you can't own up to what you are you're intellectually dead in the water. And that goes for everyone. Don't dare deny the reality you have all helped to create little by little. If Iraq was hunky fuqing dory, I wouldn't be in here posting this would I? There'd be no need. I'm not here to hurt anyone's feelings. I'm not here to hit anyone below the belt. Take ownership of your own BS. Or you might as well shut down E&C altogether - maybe just combine it with the old Fiction forum that used to exist since it's starting to resemble fiction in here anyway.

So don't justify your inability to pony up in this thread by thinking to yourself: \"Pally, you've got it all wrong, I'm not gonna stoop to your level, you play too rough, you're a mean bastard, you're too disrespectful, you hate Bush, you hate America, etc, etc, etc. More fuqing lies! People are dying! The American way itself is in peril!

I leave you with this...for now....

To what little extent democracy has been exported to Muslims, tyranny has also been imported to Americans. Ask this poor bastard how he found himself stranded in a story right out of Franz Kafka. So tell me, if Americans find their rights slipping away - is this not a measure of the terrorists victory?:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/18/world ... stice.html
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

We have rights? You jest.

I think the only reason we went to war was so that Cheney could fullen 80 billion dollars of reconstruction money into his company. (ok, not really, but would anyone be surprised?)
Skyalmian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Skyalmian »

Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

Palzon wrote:....I wonder how strongly you would defend that notion today? saddam is gone, yes. but if you read the excerpts above from the ISG report, a stark picture appears....
I do still hold on to hope that when we leave there the beginnings of something like the next Turkey will be in place, a secular government that has members of many factions representing the Iraqi people all working together putting the peoples law above religious law.

I have to admit though, that knowing now what I do, if I were to go back and be able to advise the president just after 9/11 when the subject of Saddam came up my advice would be lets cut him a deal. We let him out from under the sanctions in return for cooperation up front as well as under the table against al Queda, Iran and Syria. Operate clandestinely out of there instead of invade. If we had taken that route we would be in much better shape on many fronts. Politicians are much more qualified at managing sneaky backstabbing deals than wars.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Palzon,\"(gee, where have I heard that quagmire word before?).\"

From the same cut and run crowd that short stroked us out of vietnam, the same crowd that pulled us out of Somalia and interestingly enough the same crowd that thinks we should send in troops to the Darfor region for \"humanitarian efforts\"
Bold Deceiver
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Bold Deceiver »

Palzon wrote:Funny. A year or two ago I would have been derisively called a liberal, but now nobody wants to defend this administration.
If conservatives have questions about "this admininstration" (God, how I love how you liberals deploy that phrase) has conducted the war, then bully for them. We're all about the free exchange of ideas here, aren't we?

I, for one, am pleased to defend this administration. Lay out your point-by-point attack, and you'll find me a captive audience with a ready reply. The war in Iraq was and is the right thing to do. Loss of life is always regrettable but in this war extraordinarly minimal.

Guess what -- it's a war, and it will be a long one. An extraordinarly long one. Have you the stomach for any war? Only the historical "good" ones? How is it that you would, from your comfortable home, so arrogantly presume that because we are the United States, we are somehow entitled to win any war in which we engage?

You and your fellows fail to understand that victory at war is not simply an entitlement, like social security. Your party, democrats (stop the pretense of disassociation, please -- exactly whom did you vote for in 2004?) demand that we simply "pull out of Iraq". "Quagmire"?. Bad news for you. If we fail here, well ... it is the the beginning of the end.

But you -- you would love nothing more than to see the U.S. simply abandon those good Iraqis hoping for a better life. You're the President -- shall we leave? Do you understand the import of that decision? Do you simply deny what's coming? I would love to have your honest answer. Because I don't think you give it much thought. At all.

No, you would rather hunker down in middle America and wish we hadn't engaged Iraq at all. Ah, woe is Palzon. If only everyone had listened.

Here is my recommendation. If you have a God to whom you pray, you had sure as hell better pray that Iraq does not destablize any further. You had better stop pretending that Iraq just wasn't a threat to the United States, "imminent" or otherwise. And you had better pray with all your heart that the men and women who are out there now, suffering and dying for you and the quality of you enjoy without any apparent gratitude, emerge victorious against the forces of Islamo-fascism and establish a foothold for self-governance in the Middle-East. Because we need an ally, in case you hadn't noticed. We are outnumbered . . . , democrat.

But then, you have no God to whom you really can turn, because you are a secularist. Well, that's good for the coffee shops and high-brow intellectual discussion and frankly, I'm conflicted on the God question too. But too often secularists of your kind have trouble defining morality in any sense -- what is good, what is not good -- isn't it all relative really?

It's not.

America is an experiment, not a certainty. We are but a flicker in the timeline. See the big picture, or risk that the principle dies.

I look forward to your points and authorities on the question of just how, exactly, "this administration" has made you unhappy. I have never been prouder of my vote. You?

BD
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Re:

Post by Diedel »

Repo Man wrote:I don't recall how long the allies had to occupy Germany, but I do recall they had a hell of a lot of trouble with bombings, shootings and kidnappings by Nazi sympathizers for years after the war ended. They were dealt with forcefully and decisively and thus the pacification of Germany was accomplished.
Whaaaaaaaat?

ROFL. This is complete rubbish.

The people who believe the U.S. has won the Iraq war do not understand that actually there are two 'wars': The one against S.Hussein's Regime and army, which indeed was won, and the terrorist/guerilla war going on now, which is an entirely different story. Iraq gets destabilized more every day. More Iraqis sympathize with one or the other terrorist or extremely religious fraction. The conflict of schiites vs. sunnites gets worse and worse.

Looking at what's going on in Iraq, the U.S. military has lost control over a big part of the country already.

I wonder how some1 can claim the U.S. had won in Iraq in the face of this. You would need 2 million soldiers and 5 years at least to crush the terrorists with military force, or at least hold them down enough so that they are not a big threat any more because they have to run for their lives all the time.

This war has been a half arsed action because those deciding how it should be led didn't listen to the good advice of people who knew better and actually thought you could walk in and out such a country, with briefly overthrowing its current government, and everything would magically sort itself out. In a nation deeply split into two major religious and more more ethnical groups, right at the borders of another country the government of which is burning with hatred against the west. How ridiculously short sighted.

You also do not seem to be aware of how arrogant it must sound to every citizen of Iraq if you say you've come to change their culture. These people are fond of their cultural and religious roots. The worst thing you can do is to treat them with disrespect; so much more as in their culture respect and honor are of utter importance.

A big part of the problem is that the Arabs feel inferior and be treated like inferior by the west, and the way the U.S. acted politically under the Bush government didn't exactly alleviate this.

Finally, if you'd be honest you would admit that this war was an economical war - not only targetting Iraq, but attempting to establish an American hegemonia in the entire region. There were no WMDs, say what you want. If you don't want to admit it, you don't want to admit a lie, making yourself look bad, that's all. The humanitarian aspect of freeing a people from a cruel tyrant was only a smoke screen.

Whatever the U.S. of A. do now in Iraq, they will very likely lose. You cannot fund a big enough military over a long enough time to turn the tide with military force there, and the U.S. failed for too long to really gain the hearts of the people there with substancial economic help and relief, and a real plan how to bring peace to the area and push the terrorists back.

The Bush admin has been ruining your country in many ways, politically, economically, and legally with his implementation of laws directed at controlling and intimidating the U.S. population.

And you cry 'hooray, right or wrong, my president' and continue to run forward into open gun fire.

Rationally, this is hardly understandable. To me it looks like you die-hard pro-Bush, pro-war people here are blind for what is going around you, like you blindly ignore everything that could shake your beliefs.

I don't hate the U.S., definitely not, but the last few years have been sobering me up quite a bit.

Bold Deceiver,

I am a born again Christian. I don't consider myself liberal, and I am definitely not what is considered liberal in Germany. I tell you one thing: You shouldn't only pray for Iraq, but that God will guide your nation the right path (not what you consider the right path, but what God does) as well.

I am not fond of the German history until the end of WW2, but that will not hinder me to tell you that the U.S. doesn't have much reason to be fond of their history since the Vietnam war. You will hardly find an excuse for the ruthlessness the U.S. has overthrown democratically elected governments in South America to aid their economy, or install dictators everywhere in the world to secure their political influence - not just to contain communism, but again to help their economy.

Imo there is enough the U.S. has to repent, and if they do their chances of being properly guided by God my rise quite a little.

It may be enough for you if Mr. Bush says 'I am a christian'. Enough to throw away common sense and sober judgement and blindly follow him whereever he leads you. I prefer to judge a person by his actions. Mr. Bushs actions do not make him look particularly christian. I don't think it's a good idea if some1 has a preconceived plan like the Bush admin with their war on Iraq, and tries to sell it with what we all now (should) know, and that is lies.
heftig
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by heftig »

Indeed. That didn't happen.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

Bold Deceiver wrote:But too often secularists of your kind have trouble defining morality in any sense -- what is good, what is not good -- isn't it all relative really?

It's not.
I didn't realize you were so superstitious.