Car Audio - Front Speakers

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Palzon
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Car Audio - Front Speakers

Post by Palzon »

I'm in the market for some 6 1/2 inch front speakers in a ballpark of around $200/pair or so.

You should know I already have a pair of JL 10-inch subs in the trunk. I'm using a Kenwood amp with adequate power.

I'll be buying these front speakers along with A Pioneer DEH-P3900MP. This HU has all the features I really need, especially the front accessible auxiallry jack for my MP3 player. Shoppers at Crutchfield have rated the unit highly.

So does anyone have a strong opinion about speakers?

I'm leaning towards Infinty Kappas. But I'm not sure if I'd go with the 2-way or 3-way variant. What d'yall think?
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

I have a Clarion system that I took out of my Camry (accident) and put my rears (6x9 280w) in my Impala. My fronts were 5.5\" 180w but not yet installed. What you need to do is listen to what the audio shop has on display and see if you can listen to them and a set of rears that are close to yours.

Hearing is the best way.
psionik
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by psionik »

Eclipse makes really tough, nice speakers. Give them a listen if you can.
Palzon
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Palzon »

They are on my list. I was looking at the SE 8365 model.
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

Just don't buy it from Crutchfield. You can save $50 or more elsewhere. I got my new HU from hookedontronics.com for $100 less than Crutchfield.

I had Infinity Kappas 2-way before. The high-end was too brittle. I second the vote for the Eclipse.
Palzon
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Palzon »

What about the 3-way Kappas?
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

Don't know
Palzon
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Palzon »

As far as Crutchfield goes, I'm not planning to buy from them since I'm probably not going to buy online. I need to have this installed because I need RCA re-wiring done. I'm probably just going to get it all at once. However, I've seen some scary reviews of a lot of online sellers, but Crutchfield gets one positive review after another. It's amazing really. Now I'm talking about service, not price.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Getting it done all at once is cheaper.
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

Yea, Crutchfield is great other than the price.
Bakdraft
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Bakdraft »

The only time I buy new speakers is when I can't hear the old ones over the sweet, sweet sound of my Borla stainless muffler. :D

And yes, you really can't beat Crutchfield on service, they have it down pat. Not only that, if you can't figure something out from the enormous packet of installation instructions, they're happy to help. Of course, that's also why they aren't the cheapest, but I've had nothing but good experiences with them.
Palzon
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Palzon »

Well I've listened to various speakers, including Eclipse. I found a pair that rocked beyond all others. It surprises me actually but they are Kenwood speakers, model KFCX170

I should mention that I did not get to hear the Infinity speakers, but the Kenwood speakers are far more affordable and sound great. I can't imagine the others are worth an extra $70.

They also come with a 2-year instead of a 1-year manufacturers warranty (all the others are only 1-year).