Mouselook - An Objective Look

Meet the people you love to kill (and be killed by) in Descent!

Moderator: Do_Checkor

What is your stance on mouselook?

It gives to much of an advantage, keep it disabled!
67%
Mouselook is fine, turn it on!
6%
I've never tried it but i hear its cheating//bad.
12%
I'm indifferent.
6%
What the heck is mouselook?
9%

Total votes: 33
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

YAY!! No flames!

This is more like it! :D
Bakdraft
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Bakdraft »

Nikolai Adrian
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Nikolai Adrian »

Diedel got railed.

I play with a gamepad. Saitek P990.

I suck.

But that's beyond the point. Giving my opinion, mouselook does affect the spirit of the game, as well as the realism involved with piloting a large hover-based vehicle.

If you're aiming a firearm, it's not really bad to compare it to moving a mouse. But if you're operating a vehicle, then a joystick or steering wheel is the most suitable option. Just consider the inertia behind one of those Magnums.

If guns in Descent 3 were turret-based, the mouse would be perfect. Otherwise, the joystick best emulates a hovercraft's movement. That, or implement a \"lag\" to mouselooking. Think of Half-Life 2's weapon look swaying, only apply it to the player's motion.
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Re:

Post by KoolBear »

Nikolai Adrian wrote:Diedel got railed.
I agree
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

It's so refreshing when people actually behave and act like adults.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Apparently some people just cannot keep themselves and let an opportunity slip away to flame me and derail a thread that has been going so well. So much about behaving like an adult.

Btw, if behaving like an adult means to post photoshopped perversion, I'd rather not.

Anyway, I don't really know what \"got railed\" means. That remark just gives an impression of someone gleefully triumphing that I got shown my limits. All however that has happened was that good arguments were presented to me in a civilized manner. Something that had rarely been the case here in the past, because there had always been someone who had not been able to cope that way with a directly expressed opinion he did not share.

I will defend what I hold true by all means, but only as long as I don't have proof that I am wrong. That is because I am not obsessed with being right at all cost, but rather with finding as much of the truth as I can. An attitude some people here sorely lack, and an attitude many people who are satisfied with far less apparently cannot understand.

Yay. And I (and some others, I guess) were happy how this thread had gone so far.

How about Ferno finally giving what he should have been given a long time ago: A short, sharp shock - a kick in the a$$? He is really begging for it.

This place would be a better place if this guy would not be around, ready to pour his filth, hatred and perversion on everybody he resents.
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Re:

Post by KoolBear »

Diedel wrote:***

Anyway, I don't really know what "got railed" means.***
It means what was done to you was ...
NOT RIGHT!
Not GOOD,
BAD.
Not in good form.
It means that serveral of the mods cried loud enough that they got thier way.
It means that you were ganged up on by a group of bullies.
It meant the end of DBB.net as we know it if these mods didn't get thier way.

NUFF SAID, please let it drop Diedel let's not give these personalities any more than they already have.

It means that as ADULT's we are strong enough to let it go. Let us Move FORWARD, never backward.

It means let this subject get back on track please.
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

Diedel,
If I'm not mistaken. The comment Nikolai Adrian said, \"you got railed\".
I believe he is saying that you was treated unfairly. Thats my take on it.

Secondly. Ferno's comment IMHO, was in no way to provoke you or anyone at all.
He is merely saying its just nice to see a civil conversation other than the usual frame wars you and others end up in. ;)
No different from the comment I made above. :)
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

You are correct Aus.

Diedel: I was thanking you for being civil. In a sense, I was extending my hand as a sign of peace.

If people wish to talk about mouselook, by all means go ahead. If it degenerates into another flamewar, I will have no choice but to lock it.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Ferno,

I think you have edited your post since I have replied to it. Whether you did or not, your post did not at all sound like a stretched out hand to me. If you want to reach out for reconciliation, I think I have deserved an apology. I never seeked to fight or harrass you.

KB,

I am justing asking myself if it wasn't the end of ddb.net as we knew it when these mods got their way - and if not, whether there is something wrong with dbb.net anyway. But I will drop it, sorry. It was just that when I read that remark of Ferno's I had to think \"Oh no, Here we go again.\"

Anyway, I realled appreciated this discussion and I am glad it was conducted in a civilized way, because it has finally given me insight in the mouselook issue I simply hadn't been given before, and due to my bad Descent skills wasn't able to acquire myself.

Thank you, Gentlemen. :)

Diedel
Nikolai Adrian
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Nikolai Adrian »

Geez, you guys are pretty sensitive. I made an observation, not an insult. If you can't handle the posts, then look away from the screen. Restraint and civility are two way streets.

Anyways, I'm willing to bet \"realism\" is a term newly introduced. That might add another angle to the discussion and why mouselook is a deterrent to true piloting.

Either that, or I'm the only fan of realistic games here.

P.S. Hi Koolbear :D
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Nikolai,

I am German, I simply didn't understand that phrase. And I have been attacked a lot here in the past. A lot. I admit, that may have made me overly sensitive.

Alright? Have a good time here. :)
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Lets get back on topic here guys. What happened has already happened, and no ammount of bitching and moaning will change that. No more drama queening in this thread, is that clear?

Diedel: Ferno's post was not specifically meant for you, but for EVERYONE involved in this thread. He did not edit his post. Quite frankly I share that sentiment. Up until now you've remained fairly civil, don't ruin that trend now. As for you not understanding something, perhaps it would be better if you asked what their intention was before going on the defensive?
Bilco1
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Bilco1 »

So my take on the situation as to why most oppose mouselook is because it breaks the ship's physics, which is \"not real\" and not that it gives mousers an advantage over joystick users. If the prior was the case would you be fine with mlook if you could tweak a joystick in the same way?
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

No because that leaves the keyboarders at a disadvantage as well. It should be a level playing field for all (this is assuming fps settings are equal for all).
Bilco1
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Bilco1 »

Well, yes 'keyboarders' also, though i feel keyboards would leave you at a very big disadvantage
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Bilco,

from what has been said it should have been clear that a good mouser has a clear advantage with mouselook.
Nikolai Adrian
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Nikolai Adrian »

The importance of realism is in the eye of the gamer, some don't regard it at all. However, if you were to pilot a ship in real life, physics would come into play. There shouldn't be a tweak for the joystick, because it'd be nearly impossible, but rather the mouse should have a tweak, which is very possible. It'd require a patch, which I don't think the developer of Descent 3 will address, so I think it's best we just eliminate it altogether.

Here here? Yeah, or something. I suck bad enough anyways, guys.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

The thing is, we all sucked when we first started out. It just takes time and lots of practice to get better at it, and relying on mouselook to achieve that is nothing more than leaning on a crutch. Hop in a game with it disabled and you're SCREWED!

As for keyboarders already having a disadvantage, I disagree there. There are several very good players that fly with the keyboard. Hell, I got into the Rangers (Blue squad!) on one. I eventually switched to a joystick later on though.