Mouses

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Mouses

Post by Duper »

Mouse that I'm lookin at buying

Which do you use and what do you like about it?
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

The one you pointed out is interesting.

I use a Razer Diamondback. I think there is a newer mouse that is very similar to that, called the Copperhead. They are all pretty much the same by Razer, just slightly different design. Whats common with them is the driver software that comes with them, you can config the buttons to any kb key or macro you'd like, and the on-the-fly sensitivity adjustment is handy as well. The Razer mice are definitely better IMO than the over hyped Logitech mice, thats for sure.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Not that I have any problems with my G7 and MX1000, and MX510, they are all excellent mice. I rarely use the MX510 anymore since I got the G7, only when the MX1000 is totally dead and I am not gaming or something will I use the 510 anymore since the G7 doesn't have a forward button.

I only use the G7 for gaming and generally I have it set to 1200 DPI. Honestly the 3200 DPI of that mouse sounds like BS to catch your eye and nothing else, my G7 at 2000 DPI is insanely responsive to the slightest movement. Sure I am not the supreme hardcore mouse gamer that some people are, but I don't really see the need for that high of a DPI setting on a mouse. The thing I like about the G7 is you can set it to any DPI you want between 400 and 2000 in 50 DPI increments and you can even adjust the X and Y DPI settings independently. The mouse lets you assign DPI settings in up to up to 5 different steps. I have mine set to three steps: 400, 1200 and 2000 DPI.

The only real issue I have is weight, naturally cordless mice are a bit heavier then a corded mouse, the G7 uses a smaller battery so it isn't so bad. The tradeoff between battery size weight and lifespan is pretty reasonable though, I get about one and a half days of gaming out of the G7 before I have to swap the batteries. It takes about 10 hours to charge a battery on low mode, 2 hours on high mode and about 5 seconds to swap the batteries, so lifespan has never been an issue for me.

For light gamers, I would seriously recommend something simple like a MX518, its light weight high DPI and doesn't require any charging. If you are a serious gamer, I would recommend something like Top Wop is using or a G6/G7 mouse.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

thx.
I prefer something a bit heavier. the GM3200 has adjustable weighting and a 2.5 meter cord (something else I like) *size DOES matter* ;)

I'm also considering a MX 518

that aside, I also learned that polling is as important or most than DPI. the GM uses the default Windows setting. Read Here

I know that with higher end mice it's almost a matter of preference. I have rather large hands so using small and light mice is like juggling ping-pong balls.

thanks for the input! anyone else?
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

the logitech g5 is corded and also has adjustable weights
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

I am using a Razer Copperhead together with an anodized aluminium mouse pad by Razer. The mouse has as good as no friction on that mouse pad. It's incredibly easy to move it.
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

I use the Copperhead. Little bit faster than the Diamondback. Not the most comfy mouse though. I'd probably try a G5. I don't like wireless. But a G7 wouldn't be THAT bad. Originally, I thought 7 buttons would come in handy but it turned out to become more of a hassle.
Hattrick
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Hattrick »

using a g5 atm. I like it a lot better than the old Razer boomslang i had before.

I havent had any experience with the other mice discussed.