Question about Meeting Power Requirements

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Neo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Question about Meeting Power Requirements

Post by Neo »

First of all I want to apologize for the post that had to be deleted. I didn't remember that I am not allowed to post about it yet. ^_~

Anyway, I am just wondering: is there any power supply available that can handle the peak power output of a supercomputer with a Core 2 Extreme QX6850 CPU, lots of RAM (DDR2? 3?) and dual GeForce 8800 GTX cards running in SLI mode? What about if the same system also had about a terabyte of storage... or maybe three 10,000 RPM drives?

What about a workstation that has double quad-core Xeon CPUs, like Intel's V8, and a single GeForce 8800 GTX, and the same storage setup as the other one?

Is there a power supply or some sort of weird setup that will be able to handle the peak power output of either of those systems?
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

they sell 1 kilowatt power supplies if you want to spend the cash.

try this, that'll give you a rough idea of the wattage you are looking for, then you just need the correct amps on the right rails.

and the correct amps on the right rails is important.
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Re:

Post by AceCombat »

fliptw wrote:try this,

wow i like this one better
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

here you go NEO, Do not settle for less @40C , the Real-Deal Single Rail Design.

Silencer 750 NVIDIA SLI Certified (Dual 8800 GTX)

or if you want to go for broke

Turbo-Cool 1KW-SR NVIDIA SLI Certified (Dual 8800 GTX)

PSU myths
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

I'm starting to wonder about the mains wiring and if it'll be able to supply the load.

because if that PSU is suckin ten amps or more out of the socket, that doesn't leave much for other appliances.
Neo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by Neo »

hey, thanks guys. That web page is great... the other one I used was pretty inaccurate. It says a system like that only needs about 660 watts or so for a PSU, so that PSU that Bubbalou pointed out would be right on the money.
Ferno wrote:I'm starting to wonder about the mains wiring and if it'll be able to supply the load.

because if that PSU is suckin ten amps or more out of the socket, that doesn't leave much for other appliances.
heh... Yeah, basically with that type of system, you'd have to, like, put it in your basement or something and just use that down there. =P
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

or have an electrician come in and make a dedicated circuit.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Re:

Post by Krom »

Ferno wrote:or have an electrician come in and make a dedicated circuit.
Or install one yourself, it really isn't that hard if you have room in your panel for another breaker. The problem is if they keep this up, eventually you will start needing a dedicated 20A line to run a PC instead of a 15A.
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

you really want people to start messing with mains power Krom?
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Re:

Post by fliptw »

Ferno wrote:you really want people to start messing with mains power Krom?
that, and you need to make sure the wiring can handle it.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

I wouldn't tell them to do anything I haven't done myself before. I was just suggesting that rather then hiring an electrician and paying them however much for parts and labor, just about anyone with a little DIY knowledge, a breaker switch, 12-14 AWG copper wire, outlet, rework box, covers, a couple screw drivers and a wire cutters can do it themselves in as little as 10-20 minutes while paying less. You are probably thinking wiring a new circuit in a house is way more complicated than it really is...
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

maybe, but I'd rather have it done to code. electrical fires and getting shocked are two very scary risks.

my stepdad did some work on the mains and he almost zapped himself.
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

hehe, ive been zapped by the 220 line once.... :lol:
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

Not fun, is it?
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

Is there some reason to think the only way that it can be done to building code is if an electrician does it?

I've been zapped by single phase a few times, it isn't something I care to repeat, but there are no ill effects from getting zapped by a live wire. Now if you get zapped while you are grounded somewhere and the power flows through you...that is when it gets dangerous.

And Ace; if it was in North America, you only got hit by 115. Since the only way to get hit by 230 in North America is if you happened to touch both phases and if you did that, you probably wouldn't still be with us. Getting hit by both phases is a little different from touching a single phase hot (current flows through you in a bad way when you touch both phases). The wire you have to be careful of in 115v single phase circuits is the black wire, at least if it is built to code. The ground is the bare wire, and the neutral is the white wire both the ground and the neutral are often connected or clamped to the same point in the panel.
Ferno

Re:

Post by Ferno »

Krom wrote:Is there some reason to think the only way that it can be done to building code is if an electrician does it?
that's how it's done up here.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by DCrazy »

Krom wrote:Is there some reason to think the only way that it can be done to building code is if an electrician does it?
In New York City, for one example, if anyone other than a licensed electrician messes with the power, it violates the code. Too much risk of an electrical fire.

Then again, it's also illegal to install your own plumbing there...
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Re:

Post by AceCombat »

Krom wrote: And Ace; if it was in North America, you only got hit by 115. Since the only way to get hit by 230 in North America is if you happened to touch both phases and if you did that, you probably wouldn't still be with us. Getting hit by both phases is a little different from touching a single phase hot (current flows through you in a bad way when you touch both phases). The wire you have to be careful of in 115v single phase circuits is the black wire, at least if it is built to code. The ground is the bare wire, and the neutral is the white wire both the ground and the neutral are often connected or clamped to the same point in the panel.
uhhh okay... i got zapped by 115 then

Ferno wrote:Not fun, is it?
nope :twisted: