Got Comcast ?

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Got Comcast ?

Post by Grendel »

Better watch those torrents..
Shutting Down Big Downloaders wrote:Shutting Down Big Downloaders
Comcast Cuts Internet Service to Bandwidth Hogs

By Kim Hart
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, September 7, 2007; Page A01

The rapid growth of online videos, music and games has created a new Internet sin: using it too much.

Comcast has punished some transgressors by cutting off their Internet service, arguing that excessive downloaders hog Internet capacity and slow down the network for other customers. The company declines to reveal its download limits.
[..]
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

nothing new!

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
Strife
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Strife »

I've got comcast... Beats most of your connections too :P Haven't had any warnings yet either... I play at least 2-3 hours of rainbow 6 or counterstrike a day, My roomate watches 2 or 3 streaming movies/day, and my other roomate downloads about 200-500 songs/day, and recently I had to download bioshock to try to install it... a 6 gig file that I got 3 different times in 2 days... No letters... no warnings... They must just like me I guess :P
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Hm, I thought the major issue was upload bandwidth (e.g. my running my three dedicated D3 servers on a Comcast connect from my home).
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

lol, what a bunch of wankers. ... all you see on TV is how great they are and how fast you can download on their service (6 megs now?)... assuming you can FIND a server pushing that fast.

Their ads encourage the kinda usage they are now whining about. o_0

The corporate mind never ceases to amaze me.
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

Comcast is the devil. Its very simple, they want money. They dont care about their customers, only their wallets, hence the poor support, shoddy service, and now this shenanigan. There were a few cable providers here, now they are all bought out. They keep sending us every 5 days an 11X5 postcard begging us to upgrade to digital, as if they dont have enough of our money. Every month they take a channel away from the regular service and holds it hostage in their digital plan, without lowering the price! Talk about monopoly.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re:

Post by Foil »

Top Wop wrote:Comcast is the devil. ...poor support, shoddy service, and now this...
Actually, I've found my Comcast service to be excellent. The connect is much more stable than what I had with my old cable company.
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re:

Post by Dedman »

Foil wrote:
Top Wop wrote:Comcast is the devil. ...poor support, shoddy service, and now this...
Actually, I've found my Comcast service to be excellent. The connect is much more stable than what I had with my old cable company.
x2
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

i have BellSouth (now AT&T) 6MBit DSL, and prior to that had 1.5MBit for over 5 years with minimal issues. only recently did i need a tech to come out to my house to fix something in the interface box that some bugs shorted out.
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

My take on Comcast? If they spent just 1% of their advertising budget on reducing their monthly rates, I'd probably have a lot more money in my pocket.

Every commercial break on television. Three snail mails a week. It's ridiculous! It's... Craptastic!
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by DCrazy »

Kyouryuu wrote:Every commercial break on television. Three snail mails a week. It's ridiculous! It's... Craptastic!
Well they don't have to pay for those commercials. In fact, the reason they're running their ads during those slots (you already have Comcast!) is because nobody purchased the local advertising during that timeslot. So to fill in the local override time, they play their own spots.

As far as the mailers go, I don't think any business understands just how much they're spending on flinging pieces of paper around the country. Just look at the 300-page AT&T iPhone bills for proof of that.
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

My trash can is right next to my mailbox for the Comcast ads (and the rest of the garbage sent on a daily basis). The waste of paper is staggering.
Strife
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Strife »

Amazing thing about comcast... We got out first bill for digital voice, Digital Cable(Best package offered), And 8 meg Internet... Supposed to be free installation... First bill was 350$!!! Under my roomates name so whatever... I told him daily to call and fight them on it. He didn't... Just goes to show they will take you for a ride when you let them. When I had Direct TV they I wasn't getting any local channels for almost 6 months. I was late with a bill once and called them to complain about how I was paying for a service I wasn't getting for 6 months and they hassle me for being 2 weeks late with a bill.... They ended up making my monthly bill 20$ for 4 months to make up the mishaps and sent a technician to fix the satelite the very next day. Thats service!
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Dakatsu »

Just speaking of tech stories, a while ago I checked on Circut City for XBox 360 Elites, and there was one is stock on the Pinellas Park store. So me and my dad went down there, and asked for one at the customer service desk. They pulled it out of the back room, but then the manager came in and refused to sell us one. Apparently they were saving them for Sunday, so they could sell them all and get a large profit or something (it wasn't even a sale, same price as normal). So we finally found one at Gamestop and and I was so happy. On Sunday, we went to the same Curciut City and asked if they had any left, and the lady pulled out one. My dad then said \"Oh, thanks but we don't want it, a few days ago our money wasn't good here so we bought one from the compettion.\" and walked off :)
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

This is one of the many reasons why I hate them (and why you should too!)

http://games.slashdot.org/games/07/09/16/2116248.shtml
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

Well, the issue in my mind is that their T&C's ought to specify what \"limitations\" are being imposed. If one is paying for unlimited service, one should get unlimited service- likewise, if they are not getting unlimited service, the limits of the service should be specified. I'd go through my Comcast T&C's if I downloaded stuff enough to think it might be a risk to me personally. Either way, I think the increased competition on cable is a very good thing, and it's starting to make them a little bit more accountable. (Their adds about how fast you could download annoy me, because I know they share bandwidth, and I know that realistically you never get those speeds.) I short: I don't like Comcast, either, but right now I'm paying them my $100 a month for cable service and internet. I do plan on taking a look at Verizon come the beginning of the year, though.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re:

Post by BUBBALOU »

Top Wop wrote:This is one of the many reasons why I hate them (and why you should too!)

http://games.slashdot.org/games/07/09/16/2116248.shtml
EVERY cable provider does this and has so for YEARS....nothing new folks...

IF you tie up a Cable Node, They will Brick your modem...NOTHING NEW ...... or cap you to ISDN speeds. Most of these so called victims are abusers nothing more, who sit there daily abusing the network making every other user (up to 400 customers) on their node SUFFER. While they are sucking the pipe dry and using all the upload pipe too.. nothing is left for their neighbors who crawl at dialup speeds if they even can connect.. This was a huge issue on OOL in NY. and the abusers didn't like being capped... they learned quickly or chumped out some change for a business account- but still were cautious.

Nothing New folks Move on!!

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

The connect is sold as \"unlimited\". If it's not, then they should state it.
ImageImage
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re:

Post by BUBBALOU »

Grendel wrote:The connect is sold as "unlimited". If it's not, then they should state it.

They used to say that about dialup....Unlimited

People thought Unlimited, I can leave it connected FoReVAH!

Company's Unlimited meant how many times you could connect to the Internet.

bleh -

Now show me where it says Unlimited on a Comcast web page, and I will show you the disclaimer on the same page. Then the TOS defining any said statement in "legalese"

TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TechPro »

Bubbalou is absolutely correct. What Comcast is doing is nothing new, is perfectly legal, and doesn't not violate their TOS (or T & Cs, whatever). In fact, they are doing it to help ensure that ALL their customers consistently experience at least decent speeds.

Like Bubbalou said (three times)... Nothing new here. Move on.