Mapping software?

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Mapping software?

Post by WarAdvocat »

I'm looking for recommendations on mapping software. Specifically I'd like something that integrates aerial views and coorelates them with physical addresses.

I've tried google earth pro trial version, and unfortunately it doesn't appear to work that way, although it's possible I'm just doing it wrong.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Google Earth Pro worked for me that way. The physical address location seems to be based on an approximation using a street/number-range system, so it's not always perfect, but it's pretty darn close in most cases I've tried it with.
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

All I get is lat/long coordinates - it appears that you have to import addresses into Google Earth, although Google Maps may have some of this functionality, it's not reverse-addressable. You can enter an address to see a place, but you can't derive an address from a place.

Which is kind of the whole point of this exercise for us.
Sedwick
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sedwick »

Not to break topic but, nice avatar! You should animate it, rotating the heads and putting \"star points\" behind them.
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

I see you've been a victim of my magnum of doom, Sedge :P No worries, I usually fly the GL...

So we found that Google Earth Pro does have something called \"address approximation\" built-in. (ctrl+click) Not all that useful, unfortunately. It's gotten every address wrong so far. It's been close... but a lot of the time the approximate address only exists in Google Earth...and the rest of the time it's a neighbor.

I wonder what emergency service departments use to find their way to 911 calls?
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re:

Post by BUBBALOU »

Sedwick wrote:Not to break topic but, nice avatar! You should animate it, rotating the heads and putting "star points" behind them.
I Wonder where he got the idea from for the Triple Barney

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.