A Descenter's Fantasy?

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Wheeze87
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

A Descenter's Fantasy?

Post by Wheeze87 »

Hi, as a few of you know, i've only recently started playing descent again, i only played breifly when i was younger (D1 + D2) And i was so happy when i found this thriving descent community more than 10 years on!

okay open your minds a bit now :)

Those of you that use Steam, know that it is know a HUGE gaming platform, with games from many developers and companies now available to buy and download, quickly and easily. In my opinion it's a great platform, but i'm not the most serious gamer, but it works for me when i want a bit of fun :) I saw as well that same classic games like doom and quake had been released on Steam some time ago, and it got me thinking........Imagine if the Descent series became available on steam!!!!!!!!

I know it's a wild idea, especially with the seemingly non existant support for the games any more, but i think if it happened it would inject a lot of new players into the game...

Just an idea, what do you guys think...
Gekko71
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Gekko71 »

I think the Descent community are gagging for some way to keep interest in the game alive outside of the regular die-hards here. Many a topic on these boards have revolved around the idea - so far, very few of them have panned out. Core Decision was looking like bringing new blood in, but that game is currently on shakey ground. (I live in hope, but I'm a realist about the commercial fundamentals of the situation).

I'm not familiar with steam (it's not highly promoted here in Australia) so I can't comment on that front.

The basic problem is everyone has the passion for Descent and 6DOF in general - but very few have enough belief, funding, time and skill to make anythign new happen.

...then again, if Van Halen can get back together and start touring, then it just shows that Gen X are getting nostalgic and anything is possible. Hope lives on undiminished :D
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

Heh, I'm for it, assuming you can get the trademark\\copyright thing straightened out. I think its in the status of \"You see this ball of cooked long noodles? Good, straighten them out after being blindfolded, and by the way, not all the noodles you need to straighten are there.\" Or something along those lines.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

It would be pretty slick to see Descent available on Steam, although it would pretty much require including DXX-R and D2X-XL or very few people would be able to use it. Other than the extra advertising, the only thing that it would earn you is you would never have to worry about forgetting your disks again.
Wheeze87
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Wheeze87 »

I think it's a shame that the 6DOF format of gameplay hasn't been taken on bya big corporation e.g. ValVe. I really think someone should have a go, i know i sound light hearted about this... but this community has seen many people try,(e.g. Core Descision) but we havn't had anything BIG yet. But then again, i think the work done in the D2X-XL and DXX rebirth projects is astonishing!... Imagine what a huge company like Valve could do with these projects, i mean it would give them a great headstart on creating a new 6DOF game....
Strife
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Strife »

Wheeze87 wrote:I think it's a shame that the 6DOF format of gameplay hasn't been taken on bya big corporation e.g. ValVe. I really think someone should have a go, i know i sound light hearted about this... but this community has seen many people try,(e.g. Core Descision) but we havn't had anything BIG yet. But then again, i think the work done in the D2X-XL and DXX rebirth projects is astonishing!... Imagine what a huge company like Valve could do with these projects, i mean it would give them a great headstart on creating a new 6DOF game....
Or Instead of them working on getting the OLD GAMES working... use their funding for Core Decision... Has anyone thought about throwing some info to them regarding this brand new state of the art 360dof model at them? I just recently started using steam for counterstrike thanks to Rethink... Very user friendly and it would be sweet to see something come about through it.
Wheeze87
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Wheeze87 »

Strife wrote:Or Instead of them working on getting the OLD GAMES working... use their funding for Core Decision... Has anyone thought about throwing some info to them regarding this brand new state of the art 360dof model at them? I just recently started using steam for counterstrike thanks to Rethink... Very user friendly and it would be sweet to see something come about through it.
Indeed. Steam went through an update recently, and there is a great community feature that comes with the client now, which allows users to creat groups, and chat rooms for those groups, and even voice chat for those groups.... it's great, its everything community based games need!
UFO2020
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by UFO2020 »

Hey guys, I haven't visited this forum in a couple of years. I'd just like comment that with the popularity of first person shooters I'm surprised no one has picked up the Descent format in an effort to distinguish their FPS from all the others. It's a perfectly good format after all.

Halo 3 just came out and my younger bro is trying to talk me into buying it. I tried the original Halo a while ago and felt far too restricted. I want my Descent!!

It appears there are people working on software to make Descent work on newer computers, and the original poster here is hoping some service called Steam will offer Descent that can be played on newer computers. That's nice and all but, without a community the game is still dead. And there's no way to get the masses to play a 10 year old game unless you put it on Xbox Live arcade or something.

We simply need a brand new shiney next-gen game. I have faith that one will be made eventually. The Descent format is simply too good to remain dormant forever. Get Bungie to invest a few million dollars into one. :D

Oh well, I'll be playing other games like Final Fantasy XI until such a game comes out. Heh...
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

UFO2020 D1X has allowed people to play descent on new computers for a long time. There is a forum here for it