The Media is Our Friend

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Skyalmian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

The Media is Our Friend

Post by Skyalmian »

Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

\"Dammit dammit dammit dammit!\" -- IRS
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

i read the article and i'm not sure what's going on.

Was it previously illegal in USA to pay wages with coins?

Does USA have 2 standards of coins or something? The article seemed to talk about these 1$ and 50$ coins as if they were something weird and special.

Did this man refuse to pay income tax - and won? so this sets a dangerous precedent yes? (i have heard of people refusing income tax on constitutional grounds, but i thought they never won)
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

I wonder if its because of jury nullification, or because the law only permits reporting income generated in USD.
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

Kill your T.V!
Genghis
DBB Newbie
DBB Newbie

Post by Genghis »

Of course, they're happy to report on successful prosecution of tax evasion:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/10/04/tax.st ... index.html

Funny, though...if I read only these boards I would think nobody ever got convicted of tax evasion. Heck, I might be tempted to stop paying income taxes based on what folks here say.
WillyP
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by WillyP »

roid wrote:i read the article and i'm not sure what's going on.

Was it previously illegal in USA to pay wages with coins?

Does USA have 2 standards of coins or something? The article seemed to talk about these 1$ and 50$ coins as if they were something weird and special.

Did this man refuse to pay income tax - and won? so this sets a dangerous precedent yes? (i have heard of people refusing income tax on constitutional grounds, but i thought they never won)
In the US, an employer is required to withhold a portion of an employee's pay and turn that money over to the IRS, if an employee is paid over a certain amount. Also some trades are exempt from withholding, and anyone who is a subcontractor is not an employee, and therefore not subject to withholding.
It sounds like (yes, the story is a little vauge) the defendants claim is that the face value of the coin paid was under that threshold, or were not subject to withholding.
However, the coins are made of silver and gold, and are worth far more than face value. The IRS wants payment based on the value of the coin.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

ahh that makes it all make a LOT more sense, thx a ton mate