Crysis

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Crysis

Post by []V[]essenjah »

All I can say about this game is.... WOW! It was pretty damn exceptional for a ground pounder. The physics are amazing, the story is good, the aliens are pretty cool. I especially like the part where the core looses gravity and you end up floating around in 6 degrees of freedom. I felt incredibly nostalgic at that point. Reminded me a little of playing Descent. I just felt bad that the majority of the game wasn't like that. :\\
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

how do you find the FPS?
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Personally, I liked Far Cry a lot better than Crysis, although the zero gravity alien level was fun. The FPS part seemed a little more constrained in the ways that you could launch different attacks and the kill zone for the enemy AI is almost pinpoint sized, making it damn near impossible to kill them unless you got a head shot.

The game really needed patching at first, weird physics were occurring with ground vehicles when they got hung up on things and a few graphics anomalies were apparent. Many players reported that they were unable to complete some levels due to some missing item or scene.

One thing is that you really NEED a high end machine to enjoy the graphics, especially if you want to see the DX10 version (unfortunately Vista only).
Sapphire Wolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Sapphire Wolf »

I saw ths screenshots for the game and oh man, the graphics are beautiful(Even though I haven't played it yet)!

And I know there's gonna be a Mechwarrior mod for it called Mechwarrior: Living Legends(perhaps try out the game just for the sake of the mod).
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

I got Crysis for Christmas, and I've played through a bit of it, but the choppy framerate on my older vid card just made it too hard on my eyes after a while.

That said, there are some utterly gorgeous areas in the game, one in particular that I remember: coming out of a lush valley, through a pass... and you're suddenly in a scene that looks like something out of a painting; sunset, distant green mountain, birds flying... that was a definite \"wow\". I'm looking forward to getting a better video card sometime, and being able to play it on decent quality.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Not surprising Foil. You need some serious hardware to run that game wide open. Considering that the grass and trees are actual models and not sprites, its understandable why it hits hard on the stats.

Get a physics card and you will see things that just a vid card (even the newest ones) don't provide.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Actually, I just received (and installed) a much better video card for my birthday (this Thursday, but the card was delivered early). Oh, man... Crysis just looks amazing. I kept stopping to admire the scenery. :lol:
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Yeah, I have to play on a 7600GT, 2GB of RAM, and a C2D 2.13GHz proc. I have to set the game pretty low to run it. The physics and visuals are really nice still at that. Sadly, it doesn't look as good as say, UT3 because the levels are HUGE. Mind you, that is because I have to have my settings so low though. I can tell that if I could turn them all the way up, I would be blown off my feet. Maybe I'll throw in for a G80 one of these days.

I agree, the killzone (I'm assuming that you refer to the area of the body that you can hit in order to gain a kill), is way too small. It is nearly impossible to gain a kill unless you hit a target exactly in the middle of their head unless you use a shotgun, which for some reason can kill easily at a far longer distance than I would expect it too. You have to use almost a full clip to take down an enemy otherwise, sometimes more than that.

As for anomalies, I only ran into one graphically and I do get hung up at times, but hey, in Descent, we get hung up on walls and crap all the time so I can't complain too much.

I didn't really care for Far Cry, as it's story didn't really pique my interest and it didn't seem quite as interesting to me. But that is me. :) I'm not saying that I think Crysis is the best game ever by far but it is a lot of fun to play through and worth picking up.

The funny part is the first half of the game was really boring the first time through. I just ran past the Koreans or cloaked behind trees around them. I never spent much time fighting them. After I played the game through and played around with the suite a little more, I am now having much more fun with the physics of the game and it is even more fun than the first time through gameplay-wise.

I don't know that the actual combat is as fun as Halo 3. I really like how Halo 3 combat works and the fact that the multi is really well balanced. Mind you, I'm not a fan of the single player part of Halo 3 so this game kind-of made up for my irritations. I just wish it hadn't ended with a cliff hanger so that we have to wait another 3 years to see the next part of the story. I expected Crysis to be over-hyped, thus it was a lot more enjoyable because I didn't go into it expecting more than an over-hyped game.

It does have it's problems but I did like it over all. I just wish we could have a Descent-like game. Somehow the core level reminded me of what a 4th installment should play like where the aliens use tactics and are actually really fast moving. Sometimes they kill you so fast you don't know what even hit you. :)
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re:

Post by Foil »

[]V[]essenjah wrote:I just wish it hadn't ended with a cliff hanger so that we have to wait another 3 years to see the next part of the story.
Dude, don't tell me that! :oops: I'm not even very far in the game yet.
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

7600GT, 2GB of RAM, and a C2D 2.13GHz and you have to set it on low? Man...I have 8800gt/4g/c2d 3ghz, I wonder if I can push it to....

medium?
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

It's playable (~30 fps @ 1280x1024) on 'high' with 2x AA on my Vista32 P4 2.8GHz 2Gb RAM, 8800 GTS 512Mb - until the action starts getting heavy. I have to turn a few things down to 'medium' to keep it smooth when there's a lot going on.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

On wife's system
Intel Quad Core 6600
8 Gig RAM
7800 GT Alpha Dog Edition 512 meg
Vista 64Bit
Runs 1024x768 FULL DETAIL, not sure about FPS but it's smooth
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re:

Post by woodchip »

Duper wrote:Not surprising Foil. Get a physics card and you will see things that just a vid card (even the newest ones) don't provide.
For more on Physics cards:

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/07/19/ ... x_failing/
Nergen-Ak1-Defender
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Nergen-Ak1-Defender »

woodchip wrote:
Duper wrote:Not surprising Foil. Get a physics card and you will see things that just a vid card (even the newest ones) don't provide.
For more on Physics cards:

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/07/19/ ... x_failing/
Crysis relies on a software physics system, so basically a Physx card would be useless.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Yeah, with the Physics setting on 'high' in Crysis, things like collisions and especially the water rendering are stunningly realistic.
WillyP
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by WillyP »

I played the demo a bit, on medium (recommended) it ran pretty smooth and looked very impressive. I tried it on high, and it was a bit choppy. The water, especially looked very realistic.

Pentium D, 960, 3.6Ghz.
2Gigs Corsair Dominator (2X 1gig sticks)
XFX GeForce 7600GT Fatal1ty, 256Mb DDR3 650MHZ core.
heftig
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by heftig »

1440x900 and Very High here. FPS is about 20-23 (outdoors) and 35 (indoors). 1920x1200 would be native, but FPS sucks. :/
Foil wrote:Yeah, with the Physics setting on 'high' in Crysis, things like collisions and especially the water rendering are stunningly realistic.
Enable e_water_ocean_fft (usually active on Very High only). That also enables dispersion. Now that's a great ocean.
Spooky
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Spooky »

[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Nope.

Well, I shouldn't say that my system runs on low exactly. I set it to the lowest widescreen resolution, which is still a lot higher than 1024X768 and I set most of the effects to like medium while some of the REALLY demanding graphic effects, I set to low in exchange for other effects.
Spooky
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Spooky »

Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

I find it amusing that you need about half again as many resources to run it on Vista as you do XP. .. Improving your computer experience? It's not the software doing it, its the freekin upgrade you needed to run the software..... :lol: