Snow cover

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Snow cover

Post by woodchip »

While the hanger on's to the global warming theory still drone to their mantra of Mother Earth being slowly dying in a mass extermination oven, we have this interesting tidbit:

Snow cover over North America and much of Siberia, Mongolia and China is greater than at any time since 1966.

The U.S. National Climatic Data Center (NCDC) reported that many American cities and towns suffered record cold temperatures in January and early February. According to the NCDC, the average temperature in January \"was -0.3 F cooler than the 1901-2000 (20th century) average.\"

http://www.nationalpost.com/opinion/col ... ?id=332289

So put away your sun block # 400, doff the wide brimmed hats and close the parasols. Start investing in mukluks and insulated underwear. Ole Man Winter is the real bad boy in da 'hood.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

:roll: Whatever the truth is, you should know enough statistics to know that a tiny sample isn't enough for any sort of conclusion.

(Foil uses his powers of prognostication to predict that this thread will become the \"114th DBB Debate on Global Warming\"...)
WillyP
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by WillyP »

One cold winter does not break a trend. What's the average going to be over 5 or 10 years? Still, it's a good sign!
TIGERassault
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TIGERassault »

You do remember the part about ice from Antartica melting off causing a rise in water levels everywhere else in the world, which both together cause climates everwhere to be more radical, meaning winters get colder and summers get warmer.

What, you didn't think that the environment in the world was going to roast up because of a 6 degree change in the temperatures we have now, did you?
WillyP
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by WillyP »

Yeah, as a matter of fact I do seem to have forgotten that.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080226/ap_on_re_us/storms
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

So our kids are gonna burn to death, drown or freeze...

One thing is for certain. No matter what, humans aren't forever (at least on Earth!).

:)
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

Global warming is not going to stop until humanity as a whole starts doing something about it. Unfortunately, to be part of the solution, you have to stop being part of the problem. It's gotten so bad that you can't be human without contributing to global warming.

BTW, just because the US has been getting a cold winter doesn't mean it's everywhere. Lately, winter here in Winnipeg has been somewhat warmer than usual.
TIGERassault
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by TIGERassault »

Alter-Fox wrote:Global warming is not going to stop until humanity as a whole starts doing something about it. Unfortunately, to be part of the solution, you have to stop being part of the problem. It's gotten so bad that you can't be human without contributing to global warming.
SECONDED!

I propose we start with Mexico. They're not being helpful to us, but they aren't poor enough that it makes it seem like we're picking on the weak countries.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Re:

Post by Alter-Fox »

TIGERassault wrote:
Alter-Fox wrote:Global warming is not going to stop until humanity as a whole starts doing something about it. Unfortunately, to be part of the solution, you have to stop being part of the problem. It's gotten so bad that you can't be human without contributing to global warming.
SECONDED!

I propose we start with Mexico. They're not being helpful to us, but they aren't poor enough that it makes it seem like we're picking on the weak countries.
LOL.

Unfortunately, my opinion on that doesn't matter much, because I'm Canadian.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Duper »

BTW, just because the US has been getting a cold winter doesn't mean it's everywhere. Lately, winter here in Winnipeg has been somewhat warmer than usual.
lol.. yeah.

trying to get 100 of us to do the same thing is a minor miracle.

At any rate. The world has been unnaturally cold for over the last 400 years. it's going to get warmer no matter what we do. "Fixing global warming" is a pipe dream.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Re:

Post by Alter-Fox »

Duper wrote:

lol.. yeah.

trying to get 100 of us to do the same thing is a minor miracle.

At any rate. The world has been unnaturally cold for over the last 400 years. it's going to get warmer no matter what we do. "Fixing global warming" is a pipe dream.
Of course we can't fix the damage completely, but we can at least stop damaging the planet.
WillyP
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by WillyP »

TIGERassault wrote:
SECONDED!

How do you propose we 'start with Mexico' if we can't do anything ourselves?
Think globally, act locally! In fact, you can start by buying me a new, fuel efficient car.

Oh, and check this: seed vault.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

I know how I could completely stop global warming, but if I did it, the (formerly) human race would probably rip me to shreds.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

Dude you can't change the human race into anthropomorphic foxes. If you had a way - you'd be a hero of science.

Actually genentic engineering is getting there, there are already a bunch of experiments that are changing the genetics of ADULT aminals using viruses to get-the-code-into-the-cells :).

They made a normal adult chicken into a glow in the dark chicken by infecting it with a virus, they didn't have to breed a special chicken or anything - they just injected an adult chicken with the \"make cells glow in the dark\" virus and the virus did the rest. As the infection went through the chicken it gradually added the glow in the dark gene to every single infected cell until the whole chicken was glow in the dark - permanently.
So you may in luck :P

The trick will probably be to gradually use virus mediated DNA therapy (like above) to gradually change the DNA of the host in definable safe stages. Coz if you don't do it safe stages, during the process you may momentarily find yourself in an incompatabile-hybrid situation where you die - ie: increase body size before increasing heart size and your brain may asphixiate before the heart catches up in size.
So, inbetween every DNA therapy session you then use another technology to encourage a certain percentage of your cells to de-differentiate back into stem cells so they will redevelop into proper cells with the new DNA (actually being products of the new DNA instead of just containing the new DNA). And because you are de-differnetiating entire sections of the body at once - it will redevelop body sections according to the instructions in the cells - ie: you'll have your much wanted fox ears, and more.

It's essentially like a programming game you have to tweak the code then recompile, then tweak the code more more then recompile. And the in-program variables arn't reinitialised every compile - but are stored externally in a file that is reloaded and then rewritten everytime the program runs.
Every recompile must work, and you must have minimal errors. If the recompile or program fails - it could be dangerous, you might die (or at least be dependant on life support until the problem can be fixed in the next treatment cycle).

As you repeat this process you gradually replace all of your cells, and reconfigure your body structure. Repeat repeat repeat, until there's none of the original body left - and the new body will match it's new DNA perfectly, it will be as is as if it were born that way.
You can continue tweaking too.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

For one thing, I do know exactly how to do it.

For two, I wouldn't turn the human race into anthropomorphic foxes - just normal foxes. The point is to take away their hands so they can't use anything that would contribute to global warming.

Yes, I am slightly mad, but it only enhances my creativity.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

well... tell me how you would do it! :D
(i find this stuff mega interesting)
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

Read The Dilbert Future - then see if you've figured it out. Otherwise you wouldn't believe me.
Of course I wouldn't actually do it. It would be unethical for one thing, and I'd have billions of former humans on my tail (so to speak). It's purely theoretical.
However, I know I'm going to do it to myself.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

For a second there I thought Woodchip came out here to post something other than an EnC topic.

I was wrong. :(
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

how about just a loose summary
(Scott Adam's elitism grates me - i read an excerpt of that book and did not like it)
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re:

Post by woodchip »

Ferno wrote:For a second there I thought Woodchip came out here to post something other than an EnC topic.

I was wrong. :(
Epic fail Ferny :wink:
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

The only useful piece of information in The Dilbert Future was a way to manipulate \"luck\". So I figured I could use it to influence the random mutations that happen to people all the time to change their DNA, and then use the method that you mentioned, after I use \"luck\" to send them into a coma, (just like any medical operation, it's safer if the patient is asleep), in order to change their species, then wake them up.