Vocal Tips Redux!

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Vocal Tips Redux!

Post by Dakatsu »

So, after screwing around with singing and vocals, I can whip out a guitar, and match the tone of my voice to the string, and then shift my voice to a higher note at the same time I play it.

I have problems with singing songs. There are some I just cannot get the right notes to no matter what I sing, and some I can get the right notes to and sing along, but then murder it when I do it alone.

I think I have kinda memorized the A5 note, as about 2/3 of the time I can get within 25 cents of it. But, if I try to aim for certian notes above or below, I rarely hit them, but instead other notes. For example, when trying to go from A5 to A#5, I instead go to B5.

I believe my range is something like C4-C5, lower and I cannot get any kind of note period, higher and it kills my voice.

So any tips on what I am doing wrong? I guess maybe not a whole lot else, but I am making progress, it just feels like I am stuck in certain areas.
Unix
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Unix »

Well, I found the best way to get better at singing is to record myself singing and then pick it apart and re-record piece by piece. This helps me figure out exactly where my problem is and basically practice make perfect.
-Unix
My Music
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

I can sing, although I never do, but I did use my keyboard to make a (loose, and somewhat better) cover of the D1 level 19 music entirely by ear, and I included the choir part from the D2 level 3 midi music in another piece, also entirely by ear.

EDIT: Sorry, irrelevant post.
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Dakatsu »

Unix wrote:Well, I found the best way to get better at singing is to record myself singing and then pick it apart and re-record piece by piece. This helps me figure out exactly where my problem is and basically practice make perfect.
Good point, tried that today, and I got better *results*. I didn't like the microphone first of all, but then again I would record my voice by being right next to it, instead of being a bit back from it (learned this recently by reading crap).
I can sing, although I never do, but I did use my keyboard to make a (loose, and somewhat better) cover of the D1 level 19 music entirely by ear, and I included the choir part from the D2 level 3 midi music in another piece, also entirely by ear.
I learned how to play this song by ear, I feel so happay!

I didn't get the solo, but still, I did pretty good for my opinion.

Well, it feels like I majorly improved in the last two days, so who knows, maybe it was just a crappy day and my crappy vocals made me post...

My vocals still aren't too great, but it reminds me of when I started playing guitar, and I sucked at it, but in just a random set of two days I went from totally crappy on something to being really good at it, so maybe it applies here :)
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

I don't know about playing guitar (I haven't been patient enough with learning to play mine), but I can definitely echo that with vocals, a key thing for increasing one's range and accuracy with tones is time and practice.

In high school, when a girl (who I happened to have a massive crush on) told me that I had a good voice and to keep working on my range, I did. Eventually I learned to hit the notes I couldn't quite reach, and change my vocal style a bit depending on what I'm singing.

It sounds like you're really working hard on it, Dakatsu. When you get a chance, post some of your stuff... I'd be interested to hear it.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by roid »

Dakatsu wrote:So, after screwing around with singing and vocals, I can whip out a guitar, and match the tone of my voice to the string, and then shift my voice to a higher note at the same time I play it.
Dakatsu wrote:I learned how to play this song by ear, I feel so happay!

I didn't get the solo, but still, I did pretty good for my opinion.

Well, it feels like I majorly improved in the last two days, so who knows, maybe it was just a crappy day and my crappy vocals made me post...
You're doing well, practice is all you need.
The matching-the-guitar thing is a good development.
Keep singing along with stuff too, just as long as you can hear yourself over the music. I dunno if i really have to suggest that, coz singing along with stuff is kinda instinctive anyway, everyone does it. So it's not really an "exercise" or "practice", it's just natural fun you do it without thinking.

Another exercise i tend to do is this:
Try to sing along with a song in a monotone. Figure out the "key" to the song - it's generally the first major note in the song.
This is a way to train your ears, so you can hear how the single note you are singing in is different to the notes of the song. (and when you get the right note it won't sound too bad - that's how music "keys" work)
You may think you're learning howto sing, but really you're probably learning howto HEAR. ;)
As you get used to how various combinations of notes sound together, you'll get used to what sounds good and what sounds bad.

All this explanation sounds complicated, but really all you gotta do is keep singing and humming along with stuff, just as you do.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

oh, and with the guitar, try this:

play a series of notes on the guitar, while singing just the first note.

So you play E G A C E G A C
while you sing E E E E E E E E

Also do the reverse:
you play E E E E E E E E
while singing E G A C E G A C

(i'm just making up notes here, you may want to try a chord or note progression to a song you like instead.)

edit: oh and if you're a guy going through puberty, that's fun trying to sing through, lol. it'll settle down don't worry