Fairness Doctrine

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Fairness Doctrine

Post by woodchip »

Been wanting to post something about this for awhile. I'm pasting in a reply I made regarding it from the .com site:

Sadly free speech is being attacked also via a bill called the \"Fairness Doctrine\". Essentially, since the liberal talk jocky's have no ability to draw paying advertisers, the \"fairness\" doctrine would force stations to supply equal airtime to people who are basically welfare programs. So if you would have 3 hours of Limbaugh, you the station would have to give a program like Air America 3 hours also....for free. To avoid this, the station would simply drop Limbaugh from the line-up. While some of you would get all giddy over Rush being forced of the air, just try and imagine how much further this could be pushed and how all news would be disseminated.
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Dakatsu »

It is a crappy idea, and you described it well. I really have nothing to say; I hate Republicans, but I hate limiting free speech more (about 50x more)
Cuda68
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by Cuda68 »

Dakatsu wrote:It is a crappy idea, and you described it well. I really have nothing to say; I hate Republicans, but I hate limiting free speech more (about 50x more)
Yea, kinda like I hate Democrats.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

That’s a great idea, as long as it would apply to…public TV, Movies, Commercial TV…etc (in the reverse of course, getting airtime for Conservatives)

No, of course that’s a bad idea.
TIGERassault
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TIGERassault »

I'd say it's a good thing, actually. One politicial idea shouldn't be pushed on people unless the other politicial ideas are also present, and this bill can stop that from happening.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

You never cease to amaze me…did you ever hear of changing the channel?
ccb056
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Re:

Post by ccb056 »

Cuda68 wrote:
Dakatsu wrote:It is a crappy idea, and you described it well. I really have nothing to say; I hate Republicans, but I hate limiting free speech more (about 50x more)
Yea, kinda like I hate Democrats.
++
I haven't lost my mind, it's backed up on disk somewhere.
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Re:

Post by CUDA »

TIGERassault wrote:I'd say it's a good thing, actually. One politicial idea shouldn't be pushed on people unless the other politicial ideas are also present, and this bill can stop that from happening.
ROFL so censorship in your eye's is a good thing, well welcome to the Soviet Union

first, the political Idea as you put it cannot be "pushed" on you unless your a weak minded fool.

second, Since Conservative radio is more popular than Liberal radio is it possible that (GASP) maybe the people want to hear it more Conservative Idea's?????
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Dakatsu »

CUDA wrote:
TIGERassault wrote:I'd say it's a good thing, actually. One politicial idea shouldn't be pushed on people unless the other politicial ideas are also present, and this bill can stop that from happening.
ROFL so censorship in your eye's is a good thing, well welcome to the Soviet Union

first, the political Idea as you put it cannot be "pushed" on you unless your a weak minded fool.

second, Since Conservative radio is more popular than Liberal radio is it possible that (GASP) maybe the people want to hear it more Conservative Idea's?????
Well, since we have TV (according to conservatives) does that mean we like flashy pictures? :P
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

No, it means while you liberals are laying around watching TV, we conservatives are hard at work, and can only listen to the radio…someone has to pay those welfare bills… :P
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Dakatsu »

Spidey wrote:No, it means while you liberals are laying around watching TV, we conservatives are hard at work, and can only listen to the radio…someone has to pay those welfare bills… :P
:D
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re:

Post by woodchip »

So you would agree then that half of the govt. supported NPR programing should be open to conservative hosts? See, the knife does cut both ways.
Aggressor Prime
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Aggressor Prime »

No, don't drop Rush, he is the one that points out the lies!
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Dakatsu »

Aggressor Prime wrote:No, don't drop Rush, he is the one that points out the lies!
He's threatening the evil liberal conspiracy! Sieze him! :twisted:

Wow... this thread has degraded hasn't it? :)
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

The Fairness Doctrine doesn't apply to cable TV or any kind of printed media. Really fair isn't it?!?
If I was a democrat I'd be extremely embarrassed by this attempt to stomp out free speech by my party.
TIGERassault
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by TIGERassault »

CUDA wrote:ROFL so censorship in your eye's is a good thing,
Speaking of which, the bill itself doesn't cause censorship itself. In fact, it does the opposite: it promotes the speech of the other demographics. It's really the radio companys'... for back of a better word, refusal to hire people of the other demographic that causes the censorship.

But still, even if the bill itself were to remove all biased political commentators from radio, I'd be for it. I'm not one of these people that buys into the "Free speech is good everytime and everywhere regardless of what is said" agenda.
CUDA wrote:first, the political Idea as you put it cannot be "pushed" on you unless your a weak minded fool.
Aaaaand nearly everyone isn't?

Tip: the answer is yes due to people being not very god-like at all. But I'm sure there'll always be one person saying that average people actually have an incredibly high resistance against persuasion...
CUDA wrote:second, Since Conservative radio is more popular than Liberal radio is it possible that (GASP) maybe the people want to hear it more Conservative Idea's?????
Yes, that's what I have against one-demographic radio like this. It doesn't tell you about the ideas of the people on the other sides.
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Re:

Post by CUDA »

Tiger wrote:
CUDA wrote:second, Since Conservative radio is more popular than Liberal radio is it possible that (GASP) maybe the people want to hear it more Conservative Idea's?????
Yes, that's what I have against one-demographic radio like this. It doesn't tell you about the ideas of the people on the other sides.
its called a free market society. if your product is sh!t and nobody wants it then you don't have a market and you end up out of business. case in point Air America. even with the millions that Soro's pumped into it to keep it afloat it still went belly up. why? because the majority of the population doesn't give a rats a$s about what Liberal radio has to say. if they did then people would be tuning in.

what would you do if the next time you go to your local Starbuck's and order a latte, they gave you a Decalf with your regular coffee and told you the Government says you need to drink this one also?? its the same premise.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

We have the worst of all worlds here in the Philly market, PBS has no less than 3 left wing shows in primetime each week…Frontline, NOW and Bill Moyers Journal. This is the worst it gets…taxpayer funded liberal propaganda! (with no opposing views whatsoever)
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by CUDA »

I don't know much about Frontline, aside from the pet meds :P

NOW = Femininazi's? that NOW?

Moyers is probably one of the biggest liberals spewing Far left hate speech in the country. not to mention that he's a coward. he spends all his time Vomiting his hate speech in Liberal ONLY setting and refuses to answer any forum type challenge that the right gives him. the Left can hate guys like O'Reily and Hannity, but at least they have had the balls to debate issues in a public forum with the left they are now cowards.

you have My condolences Spidey. of course Portland is San Francisco North so we aren't much better
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

The liberals want equal time on stations airing conservative shows, yet I suspect they would scream and holler if their little programing space was cut in half by being forced to showcase conservative programs. Oh wait! They'll get around it by saying they are publicly funded so the Fairness Doctrine need not apply to them.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Another thing I would like to point out…Here in Philly, and I’m sure in most major media markets, the majority of talk show hosts are liberal, unlike Rush who is national.

We had a talk station here in the hayday of talk called WWDB, where there were many liberal hosts, but as I pointed out, they are “local”, and they always had the “prime” primetime slots, and the few local conservative hosts were on at 3:00 in the morning, Rush was on at 1:00 to 3:00 PM but the liberals always had the commute timeslots.

So this could be one of those bite you in the ass, watch what you wish for kind of things if enacted. Although getting equal time against a bunch of liberals who call themselves “non partisan” could be difficult.

Heh, no CUDA, \"NOW\" is the show Bill Moyer started, before he moved on to his journal. (but it’s close, it‘s kinda the male version)Oh, and CUDA, those are just the regular shows…then we have all the “specials”.
ccb056
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by ccb056 »

WLS 870 AM in Chicago is a pretty big station in the midwest... their company vans only turn right
I haven't lost my mind, it's backed up on disk somewhere.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

3 rights make a left… :P
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

You know what I think is idiotic? The fact that we have \"RIGHT\" radio networks and \"LEFT\" radio networks and never the twain shall meet.

What is so damn hard about a radio network that doesn't take a side? Where the host isn't pushing an agenda down the listener's throats or cheerleading one party while lambasting the other.

I long for the day when the host doesn't start a question with \"Wouldn't you agree that-?\" The host that doesn't spell out his own political convictions before every interview and then ask for approval from a battery of sycophantic guests. The vast majority of hosts on all media are guilty of this, whether it's O'Reilly or Olbermann, Limbaugh or... someone in that amorphous Air America mess. Perhaps the only immunities on television are the Sunday public affairs shows where (gasp) you actually have two diametrically opposed viewpoints talking about an issue! Oh my gosh! Discussion!

What I'm saying is that the whole state of affairs is a disgrace to political discourse in this country. The air is divisive enough as it is without these morons trying to drive even deeper wedges between us. We don't need that kind of garbage, much less powerful politicians that play right into these politics of hate and spite.