Raising sensitivity

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

themooingcow
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Raising sensitivity

Post by themooingcow »

I have Descent 1 and i want to raise the sensitivity for my mouse movement... (i have a logitech mouse ball mouse) and it is WAYYYYYYYY to slow.... how do you make it faster???
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Couple of questions.

What version of Descent 1 are you using? DOS, W32, XL, or XX?

Have you updated your drivers?

Have you tried changing the sensitivity in game and/or in windows setting?
Do you have the option in setting in the control panel (windows) to use that setting in games?

What OS are you using?

Welcome to the DBB! :)
themooingcow
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by themooingcow »

Umm... I don't know i think Dos because im playing it with Dos-Box but it could be another one??? lol I don't know for sure sorry... do you know how to check???
Yes i have :)
In Game yes... Windows setting??? that will effect Descent???
Yes there is a sensitivity option in control panel i will try that thank you :)
XP
Thank You :) I love Descent and this board seems to still be active so that's awesome :)
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

If you are playing the DOS version, there isn't much you can do. You have to limit your frames to no greater than 30FPS (frames per second) using the line commands found in the readme file. It's a well known bug. I managed to get around it years ago because I had a serial mouse and the polling seemed to be done differently with those. At any rate, try one of the new mods that brings the game up to speed with the new technology.

Descent2X-XL (D2X-XL) This mod uses D2 to run D1 as well.

or

DXX-Rebirth

This mod has separate versions for D1 and D2

Both are pretty nifty and both allow Descent to run in a 32 bit environment (ie. XP.) not sure about Vista.

Oh, both mods provide newer networking capability. Originally, Descent had only peer to peer and direct hookup function. rebirth and XL both have TCP/IP capability. (well, UDP really)

Cheers!
themooingcow
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by themooingcow »

I Downloaded D1x but i can't get it to work... I double click on the d1x... program and nothing happens... i'm using XP so i dont know if that has anything to do with it...
Thanks for the help though :)
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Use D1x Rebirth (the DXX-Rebirth link that Duper listed above) since it is the most user friendly to install and read the README.TXT that comes in the package for directions to properly install it. Do note that everything requires patching your version of Descent to 1.4a or higher, you can find the patches for Descent here: http://download.descent-network.com/pat ... /official/ or the 1.4a patch from the Rebirth site here: http://www.dxx-rebirth.com/?Downloads:Resource But beware there is a bug in the 1.0 -> 1.5 patch that disables music after level 7, use the 1.0 -> 1.4a and then the 1.4a -> 1.5 patch if you want it updated all the way to 1.5.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Oh thanks Krom. I completely forgot the patch.

Too bad someone hasn't re-done the patch 1.0-1.5 patch. .. its only been what.. 12 years? That way Zico and Deidle could bundle it with their mods.
themooingcow
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by themooingcow »

I downloaded the patches but the D1X still isn't working and i followed all the steps in the readme... lol i felt like this when i first started using ZDoom lol
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

What's it doing?

You will need to make new pilots if the game gets that far.

Give us some detail and we will stepby step ya through it and tech it out.

The unfortunate part of Descent (any incarnation) is that it tends to make geeks outta people. Back when Monster cards (Voodoo cards with Glide) Getting those patches to work was a real hassle. I had a web page devoted to how to get it running.
themooingcow
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by themooingcow »

Well when i click on D1x140 (the rebirth one) it brings up the Dos prompt then closes really fast and thats all it does... i dont even have time to read it... the one that is in the other file (d1x-rebirth_v0.54-win) says it cant find SDl.dll
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Ok, lets do this a different way.

Extract the entire contents of the d1x-rebirth_v0.54-win.zip file to C:\\Games
This should create a new directory called C:\\Games\\d1x-rebirth_v0.54-win
Now go to your original Descent directory which is usually C:\\Games\\Descent
Copy these two files: \"descent.hog\" and \"descent.pig\" from C:\\Games\\Descent to C:\\Games\\d1x-rebirth_v0.54-win
Now try to run d1x-rebirth-gl.exe inside the C:\\Games\\d1x-rebirth_v0.54-win folder.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

First, blow away 1.40.
Second extract all folders and files into the Descent 1 folder. Overwrite any files the pops up.

You should be able to clik on the \"d1x-rebirth-gl.exe\" file and it should work.

Blow away any pilots and start new ones. (there is no way around this with any mod)
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

I would like to add a quick note.

1.40 is the predecessor of the Rebirth and XL projects. iirc, both started with this code mods.

Once they dug into it, they found it needed to be stripped out. .. and pretty much rebuilt from scratch.

Krom's idea should set you right. I didn't notice it when I posted.
zico
DXX Master
DXX Master

Post by zico »

D1X-Rebirth bases on D1X-1.43 - the livna package release of Fedora Core.

D2X-Rebirth bases on the most recent D2X snapshot.

Both now pretty evolved and forked away from the original code bases. These both programs just pretty evolved.

To install properly there should be a README.txt in each package which describes which files should be copied and installed.

I am not pretty good in writing such docs so if you have further questions, do not hesitate to ask me to improve what you do not understand.

Kroms hint is correct for D1X-Rebirth:
Extract D1X-Rebirth to any destination and copy DESCENT.HOG and DESCENT.PIG into it. That will do it.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Sirius »

themooingcow wrote:... says it cant find SDL.dll
To others here, is this included in the D1X-R installation package? If it isn't he is going to have trouble running it anyway.
zico
DXX Master
DXX Master

Post by zico »

The 0.54 release definetly includes all needed DLL files (just checked). And those need to stay in the same directory as the d1x-rebirth-gl.EXE file is.