Makin' a data DVD

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Sedwick
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Makin' a data DVD

Post by Sedwick »

So, I have some big files to back up and I've tried using Explorer to copy them to three different blank DVD+R discs in Windows XP. Each time, it says there's a problem copying each file. I know my drive is compatible format-wise, and I don't think these discs are that old, so what do I need to do differently? Thanks...
Zantor
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Zantor »

Use CD/DVD burning software, not what windows has. I like Nero better than Roxio, but both work well enough.

Make sure the files you are burning to DVD do not exceed the capacity of the disc itself, or you will have errors. I hope this is of use to you; good luck.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Nero & Roxio are resource hogs. Use CDBurnerXP.
ImageImage
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

One problem that I have found with using Windows to copy to DVD is, that Windows always seems to expect that you are using a blank disk each time. And has a stupid fit if there are already files on the disk…even if windows put them there.

And Roxio sucks big time…Avoid at all costs!
EngDrewman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by EngDrewman »

Grendel wrote:Nero & Roxio are resource hogs. Use CDBurnerXP.
x2
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Just note that if these huge files you are burning are larger than 2 GB, you have to use the UDF format for the DVD, ISO can't store files larger than 2 GB.
Sedwick
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Sedwick »

Krom wrote:Just note that if these huge files you are burning are larger than 2 GB, you have to use the UDF format for the DVD, ISO can't store files larger than 2 GB.
At least one file is--they're backups of raw video. I assume DeepBurner or CDBurnerXP or whatever tool I use will give me the option to select that?
Sedwick
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sedwick »

DeepBurner did the trick, no size issues. Thanks everyone...