(Solved) Can't get past login on Win 2K pro

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

thewolfe
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

(Solved) Can't get past login on Win 2K pro

Post by thewolfe »

A friend was given his company laptop (Toshiba Tecra 8100)when he left them a couple of years ago and he forgot the login and password and would now like to re-install Windows to use around the house.

At bootup it goes to a \"Welcome to Windows screen\" Press Ctr-Alt_delete to begin.

Then you get \"Username\", \"Password\" and \"Log on to\"

He no longer has that info.

F8 won't work for Safe mode.

There is an F2 prompt at startup that brings up a boot menu but it won't except any of the letters like \"C\" for cd rom....

I can get into the Setup (Esc and then F1) and change to Cd boot 1st but then it opens to a screen for F2 for Boot selection menu but won't go into F2.
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

does the f2 menu list the drives?

C will obviously be the first hard drive.
Warlock
DBB 3D Artist
DBB 3D Artist

Post by Warlock »

Google. Ultiment boot cd. It has a password reset app that let's u blow out NT passwords
thewolfe
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by thewolfe »

C=CD-ROM, N=Network(LAN), F=FDD, B=Built HD, S=Second HD, D=Default Sys Setup. All will take me to the same Welcome screen even \"C\" unless I have a CD in the drawer then \"C\" won't work.

That takes care of your solution, Warlock. I've tried a Ubuntu CD but no luck although I can hear it spinning.
ShamWOW
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Straight from the manual's Mouth...

Post by ShamWOW »

If preinstalled files are damaged, use the Product Recovery CD-ROM to restore them. To restore the operating system and all preinstalled software, follow the steps below.

CAUTION: When you reinstall the Windows operating system, the hard disk will be reformatted and all data will be lost.

1. Load the Product Recovery CD-ROM in the drive and turn off the computer's power.
2. Hold down the C key and turn on the power. When In Touch with Tomorrow TOSHIBA appears, release the C key.
3. Follow the on-screen instructions.

So are you holding the \"C\" button while you turn on power or after? And I'm curious if now you really are able to be in touch with Tomorrow like Toshiba promises? Except I think you want the Live CD Boot menu.

thewolfe
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by thewolfe »

ShamWOW, I was not holding the \"C\" key before powering on. That did it. Thanks. That was tooooo easy.
ShamWOW
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by ShamWOW »

Excellent glad to have helped. The manual is down-loadable at Toshiba's site save to c:\\drive because its dos, and it will expand two disk folders on c:\\. Goto folder Disc1 and hit install then point it to disc2 and hit enter. Enjoy 16 bit graphics and Win 95 interfaces.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

All that effort. simple password cd and would have been done in 2 minutes. i have done it so many times on client pc's i can do it with my eyes closed

um next time hit F5 for safe mode, login as administrator with a blank password - this is usually how 95% of the malware take over your pc's anyways unless the pc came from a domain

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
Zantor
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Zantor »

Warlock wrote:Google. Ultiment boot cd. It has a password reset app that let's u blow out NT passwords
The Ultimate Boot CD 4 Windows; 'nuff said.
thewolfe
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by thewolfe »

Zantor, I decided to make an Ultimate Boot CD 4 Windows and have worked on it off an on this afternoon.

I ran 'builder\" but never get an ISO file.

I've downloaded the install file again, ran in safe mode. Used search to make sure where it may have been created.

Deleted everything and started over and over and over....

Any ideas?
Zantor
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Zantor »

Install the UBCD4Win builder on a working machine (not the broken one). Be sure to run it from the icon on the desktop, and not from the executable or batch file in the program's folder.

Put in a retail or OEM (retail works better) XP CD (home or pro doesn't matter; I use pro), run the builder, and note the path that the image is placed in. It's usually the directory of the builder program (default: C:\\UBCD4Win). Do NOT have UBCD4Win burn the disc for you. Instead, use your favorite CD burning software or CDBurnerXP and burn the ISO image to disc. Once done with that, boot it.

If that still does not work, I can provide an ISO image for you that I made with the UBCD4Win builder.
thewolfe
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by thewolfe »

I'll give it another try and be back with you, thanks.
thewolfe
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by thewolfe »

Used another XP cd, ran some of the process in Safemode and all went well.

Thanks for the input.
thewolfe
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Solved

Post by thewolfe »

Well sort of. I re-installed