Leave cars alone and fix the boats first you ECO weenies

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Leave cars alone and fix the boats first you ECO weenies

Post by Will Robinson »

Confidential data from maritime industry insiders based on engine size and the quality of fuel typically used by ships and cars shows that just 15 of the world's biggest ships may now emit as much pollution as all the world's 760m cars. Low-grade ship bunker fuel (or fuel oil) has up to 2,000 times the sulphur content of diesel fuel used in US and European automobiles.
From here: http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2 ... -pollution
Pandora
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Pandora »

holy sh..!!!
Zantor
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Zantor »

I figured we had bigger polluters than automobiles. The extreme green people must have a few bolts loose.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

Cars have a larger impact on local air quality. Shipping pollution has nothing to do with my city's smog problem.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

lofmao

baaahhahahahahahahahhahaa

how long have people been trying to point this out and it got poo-pooed.

remember that a lot of these ships also use the water they are sailing in as coolant. so not only do you have air pollution diesel being churned into the water.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

One ship = 50 million cars, that is truly mind boggling.
CORD
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by CORD »

Duper, the sea water used for cooling never comes in contact with the insides of the cylinders. If it did, there would be no diesel combustion.
Don't be so openminded that your brains fall out.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

that i know. No coolant does.

HERE Shurely you don't believe that all the seals are tight on those systems on most ships. :) (raw water systems that is)

With outboard motors and \"smaller\" desiel engines the exhaust is expelled underwater. So you may not get tons of air emittions, but it doesn't do much for the water.

Now, let's talk about jets and trains.....
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Duper you are thinking more I think that sea water is used for ballast. Read up on Zebra Mussels and what happened to the Great Lakes when ocean going tankers flushed their sea water ballast into the Great Lakes.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

nope.

read the link. Raw water is taken in as coolant. Outboard and speed boats have been doing it for decades.

It's taken in through a \"shielded\" system but it's not perfect; especially over time. However, the air pollution generated by the cargo vessels is more of a concern imo.
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re:

Post by snoopy »

woodchip wrote:Duper you are thinking more I think that sea water is used for ballast. Read up on Zebra Mussels and what happened to the Great Lakes when ocean going tankers flushed their sea water ballast into the Great Lakes.
I was just at the aquarium, and they had a display about jellies being transported sea-to-sea via ballast tanks & their populations going crazy.

Also,

My sister lives in MN. They make a really big deal there about making sure you drain & clean the hull of your boat properly if you want to move it via land, to avoid transporting lake-life. I think there's some sort of plant life that's invading Minnesota lakes via boat hulls?
CORD
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by CORD »

Again, I will state that if sea water were to enter into the combustion chamber of ANY internal combustion engine, no internal combustion will happen.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Cord, do you know how a combustion engine's radiator works?
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Mind if I take a crack at that…

Water is pumped thru a series of tubes and fins where the heat is exchanged with the air or water being forced around the tubes and fins.

What does that have to do with water in the combustion chambers?

In fact an internal combustion engine can run with a certain amount of water getting into the chambers, just depends on how much is getting in. I had a car that had cracked head gaskets, and it did run.

Back in the old days, they used to sell water injectors for 2 & 4 cycle engines. (still might)

Now if it’s the salt that is the problem, I have never heard of that.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Duper posted:

\"remember that a lot of these ships also use the water they are sailing in as coolant. so not only do you have air pollution diesel being churned into the water.\"

To which Cord replied:

\"Duper, the sea water used for cooling never comes in contact with the insides of the cylinders. If it did, there would be no diesel combustion.\"

Do you see anything about water going into the combustion chamber in Dupers post? With a ocean full of water, you remove the radiator and simply circulate the water direct from the ocean. So easy a caveman like you Spidey could do it. :wink:
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Grunt Grunt

Well if you skipped the exchanger, you could have blow past the gaskets. (in either direction)

Meaning sea water in the chambers or combustion products in the water.
CORD
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by CORD »

Woodchip, if the water isn't going into the combustion chamber, then how is exhaust gases getting into the coolant? Are they venting the gases through the exhaust ala outboard technology? I don't believe it's done that way. Usually it's vented via exhaust stacks at the highest point on the ship.

Spidey, yes they did have water injection. But it usually was an alcohol/water mix, so the quantity of water being injected was relatively minute. Now you said you had a car that had bad head gasket(s). Yes your car ran, but I bet not on all cylinders. The one(s) that had coolant leaking into them were not producing any power, just white fog. So yes a car can run with blown head gaskets. :P
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

As I said, it depends on how much water is getting into the cylinder.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Cord, In part i misspoke. Diesel powered ships don't vent their exhaust into the water like most smaller craft do. .. which has nothing to do with cooling the engine.
Slight misnomer on my part, but you could have figured that out too.

*sigh*
CORD
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by CORD »

NP Duper. It goes to show how one sentence not written in the proper context can be mistaken.